Re: usual nontechnical issues

2003-11-26 08:02:05 PM
delphi216
>Ok, Alessandro, what are you talking about?

Send me an email
Not with that email address. I am interested too, I will go try and look it
(your email address) up from your website.
Lauchlan M

Re: usual nontechnical issues

"Lauchlan M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Not with that email address. I am interested too, I will go try and look it
(your email address) up from your website.
Fixed

Re: usual nontechnical issues

"David Clegg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
[..]
In all seriousness though, D5 does all I ask of it (so far), but if I
was more heavily involved in XML or Webservices I think I would appreciate
D7 more (although there are always free alternatives around for that).
And not only free <G>

Re: usual nontechnical issues

Some time passed, and now is pretty clear.
They won't. There will be no NET OS.
NET is going to be encouraged way to
query computer state and command computer actions.
.NET (for programmers) is a framework (like the VCL for Delphi) which is or
will be tightly integrated with all MS products (Windows, Office, SQL
Server). So it is the/an API for future MS OS's and products.
It showed how many "enterprise developers" and
"IT journalists" have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE
what is going on inside a box.
To be fair to them, MS were initially pretty confused and confusing about
what .NET was. Pretty much everything was .NET and .NET was everything.
Lauchlan M

Buch writes:
>I'm not going to reply to your unqualified assertions, but there
>are some errors of fact I will correct:

If you are not Borland's employee, you are also not qualified,
perhaps less than me, but still.
My reply is based on information available to the general public. If
you don't care to take my word on it I guess you will just have to look
for yourself.
>"Will be a port to .NET?" How about "is?" You've been
Will be.
When .net and various products from ms and other were discussed,
there was always point in statment "Fresh product, will need year and
two patches to be reliable enough". I am sorry, but same applies to
Borland.
"A year and two patches" excludes just about everything related to
.NET, at the moment. :)
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1 -- Free InterBase query optimization
tool: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re: usual nontechnical issues

A little more work to seperate QT from the 'VCL' part and you could have a plugable choise between using QT, wxWindows,
Win32 or dotNet etc.
I remember when I was porting VCL TKeyValueEditor (that was name, if I remember correctly) to CLX.
CLX author(s) droped TCustomDrawGrid or something close from hierarchy tree, so copy paste was not sufficient. An there was need to implement combo box, I managed to use one from qDBGrid ...
Still, it was erratic, so I used just string grid, pretending to be KeyValueEditor ... They should not drop grid's parent out.
All was there written in VCL, but could not simply convert to CLX. That was real doompoint, not qt becoming commercial, or new versions of linux libraries.
Anyway, its irrelevant now. Let us wait second release of cbx with visual designer, and then start writing components.
In the meantime, me Java-man, urggh!

Buch writes:
>>10. Java is best choice for enterprise app now, especially if you
>>need multiplatform.
>Or C/C++.
If we limit domain on databases and frontends, and all that goes with
it, what would be C++ alternative. Which compiler, libraries, tools?
RAD designer is important. (I'l ask in C++ group anyway) BCB is not
an option. (VCL drop)
Can't help you with a RAD designer. wxWindows supports multiple
compilers/environments. If you're using Oracle, then Pro*C works fine on
multiple OSs, with multiple compilers. I have seen another DB library that
supports multiple databases and OSs, but I have forgotten what it is.

Re: usual nontechnical issues

Alessandro Federici writes:
And not only free <G>
I know. I downloaded your RemObjects stuff last year, when my boss
indicated he wanted to replace a problematic DCOM solution we had. I
loved what I saw, but unfortunately he has M$ rose coloured glasses, so
wasn't interested in a Delphi solution in any way, shape or form (even
though the DCOM server was Delphi).
He's your typical PHB, but whats frustrating is that he comes from a
programming background (if you can call VB(Visual Basic) programming, that is <g>),
and on the surface appears to be a smart guy. He's just too blinkered
in his approach to technology. Its not the best tools for the job, but
the best M$ tools.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

David Clegg writes:
He's your typical PHB, but whats frustrating is that he comes from a
programming background (if you can call VB(Visual Basic) programming, that is <g>),
and on the surface appears to be a smart guy. He's just too blinkered
in his approach to technology. Its not the best tools for the job, but
the best M$ tools.
The amount of time you bag your employer you'd want to hope he doesn't
jump on these newsgroups anytime soon...
;-)

JED writes:
The amount of time you bag your employer you'd want to hope he doesn't
jump on these newsgroups anytime soon...

;-)
He would not be seen dead fraternizing on a Delphi n.g :-)
In fact I would be surprised if he uses a newsreader at all.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: usual nontechnical issues

Andrew Rybenkov writes:
well, he can just to google to check recent David Clegg's internet
activities :).
Trust me, I think I am pretty safe :-)
Besides, I stand by all I have written. Sure some of the things said
here may be harsh medicine to take, but I still maintain its true.
The important thing to remember is that, even though I disagree with
his decisions (indicated by my many rants here), I will support them
100% and do everything within my power to ensure the success of the
company.
--

David Clegg writes:
Trust me, I think I am pretty safe :-)
Besides, I stand by all I have written. Sure some of the things said
here may be harsh medicine to take, but I still maintain its true.

The important thing to remember is that, even though I disagree with
his decisions (indicated by my many rants here), I will support them
100% and do everything within my power to ensure the success of the
company.
The disclaimer post...
Better make sure he reads this one first then...
LOL...

Re: usual nontechnical issues

JED writes:
The disclaimer post...
;-)
--
Cheers,
David Clegg
dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: usual nontechnical issues

JED writes:
The disclaimer post...
:-)
In all seriousness, once I saw that fighting the decision was a waste
of breath, it made more sense to support the move. Bitterness gets you
nowhere fast.
Besides, the VB/C++ app we have now *is* better and more stable than
the Delphi one it replaced. Sure, it took longer to get it to market
than it would have, had we chosen to refactor the existing Delphi base.
Its still quite feature poor (compared to its predecessor), and will
mean a complete re-write to migrate to .NET. But it does give us a more
stable platform for the short term.