Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

2004-01-29 08:16:22 AM
delphi6
Rhys Sage writes:
Looking at
borland.public.delphi.jobs, it seems that only people seeking jobs are
posting. It seems to me that a company looking for employees etc would be
advertising and letting applicants come to them rather than hunting around
through newsgroups for staff. I am wondering therefore, whether anybody bar
people looking for work actually reads

borland.public.delphi.jobs?

They are rare, but there are a few company offers there. I got several
bites on my "hire me" posts there from headhunters.

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

Admiral Jake writes:
Is that all that were there, or were a bunch cancelled before you saw
them?
I cancelled about 80 of them.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, "Brion L. Webster"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <4018471a$1
@newsgroups.borland.com>...
I was thinking the same thing. I need some fixes before I can
start using it, and this would certainly be one of those fixes!
I guess I will have to throw out the current outbox and write it from scratch.
I should have known better that use visual inheritance in the first
place. Visual Inheritance in Delphi is {*word*99}.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
Joanna Carter (TeamB) writes:

>Admiral Jake writes:
>
>>I've never gotten any Delphi jobs through that newsgroup.
>
>Hey, check your news reader, there are just a few!!!! copies of this
>message.

Yeah, less than 10. His newsreader was a lot more powerful before. <g>
There were some 80. That proves it is as powerful as before ...
Aniket

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, "Nick Hodges (TeamB)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <40182484$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
There he goes again..... ;-)
No, there goes visual inheritance in Delphi again. The damn outbox is a
visual inheritance of the inbox. I bet it would be working fine if it
had been written from scratch.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Joanna Carter (TeamB) writes:
Admiral Jake writes:

>I've never gotten any Delphi jobs through that newsgroup.

Hey, check your news reader, there are just a few!!!! copies of this
message.
Yeah, less than 10. His newsreader was a lot more powerful before. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
Admiral Jake writes:

>I've never gotten any Delphi jobs through that newsgroup.

I've never gotten a job from any web site, nor from any newspaper ad.
I've got a job from a professional magazine ad, once. <g>
I've never gotten a job from spamming my resume around, either.
Neither have I. <vbg>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
Yeah, less than 10.
Hmm. I counted at least 30.
--
Cheers,
Ignacio

>Yeah, less than 10. His newsreader was a lot more powerful before. <g>

Is that all that were there, or were a bunch cancelled before you saw
them?
Dunno. Why don't you look in control.cancel?
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I

Ignacio Vazquez writes:
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:

>Yeah, less than 10.

Hmm. I counted at least 30.
I must have missed those, then. <vbg>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

"Joanna Carter (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hey, check your news reader, there are just a few!!!! copies of this
message.
How many were there? I saw about ten just now.

>Hey, check your news reader, there are just a few!!!! copies of this
>message.

How many were there? I saw about ten just now.
I count 96.
--

Tili writes:
There were some 80. That proves it is as powerful as before ...
Not nearly. Before there were 400. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater."

Re: The worth of borland.public.delphi.jobs

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I cancelled about 80 of them.
I cancelled about four or five that I saw this AM that had not yet been
replied to.
This is a good example of why one should not trust visual inheritance, or
should at least be extra vigilent when using it. I set the timer on the
outbox form to some nice long time (15 minutes IIRC), so if there were
nearly a hundred of the post this means the timer had to be firing off at
the old rate which is set in the ancestor. It is plain to me that the only
way to really fix this problem is to throw out that outbox screen altogether
and write it from scratch, without inheriting from the download queue.
Very annoying.