Maybe OT: Microsoft suggesting Open Source - Go figure

2004-08-24 03:59:13 PM
delphi14
Hey all,
Just trying to find some ADO.NET tutorials on MSDN, and I came across this:
"Ten Must-Have Tools Every Developer Should Download Now"
msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/default.aspx
Here are a few of the 'best':
"NUnit - NUnit is an open source unit testing framework built for the .NET Framework."
[Ed: xUnit anyone?]
"With NDoc you are technically still documenting your code, but you are documenting as you write it
(in the XML comments), which is much easier to swallow."
[Ed: JavaDoc anyone?]
"NAnt is a .NET-based build tool that, unlike the current version of Visual Studio .NET, makes it
easy to create a build process for your project."
[Ed: Apache Ant anyone?]
It seems that Microsoft is starting to advertise the availability of open source, .NET utilities
for use by developers. These tools, however, have been available for Java for a while.
On a side note, however, one statement did seem rather odd:
"The .NET Framework introduced the world to the concept of reflection which can be used to examine
any .NET-based code, whether it is a single class or an entire assembly."
Now, didn't Java (and its reflection capabilities) introduce the world to the concept of reflection
before .NET?
--
Daniel Becroft
; =================================

Re:Maybe OT: Microsoft suggesting Open Source - Go figure

"Daniel Becroft" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
Now, didn't Java (and its reflection capabilities) introduce the world
to the concept of reflection before .NET?
I think smalltalk introduced the world to reflection, there was probably
something before that too.
--
Iman

Re:Maybe OT: Microsoft suggesting Open Source - Go figure

NUnit has been around a while now, and is a favourite amongs dot net
developers. There are several other opensource/FreeToUse projects which a
lot of people use including "The Regulator" which lets you interactively
write and test regular expressions prior to putting them in code, CodeSmith
for automatic code generation, NHibernate a opensource object relational
mapping library.
. See here for some others :
www.theserverside.net/news/thread.tss
"Daniel Becroft" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Daniel Becroft writes:
Now, didn't Java (and its reflection capabilities) introduce the
world to the concept of reflection before .NET?
Didn't Delphi have RTTI long before .Net?
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Daniel Becroft writes:

>Now, didn't Java (and its reflection capabilities) introduce the
>world to the concept of reflection before .NET?

Didn't Delphi have RTTI long before .Net?
It did, but I don't think you can call RTTI "reflection" in the whole
sense of the word. "Reflection Lite," perhaps.
-Craig
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:

It did, but I don't think you can call RTTI "reflection" in the whole
sense of the word. "Reflection Lite," perhaps.

When I was asked about reflection and RTTI, I describe .Net reflection
as RTTI on steroid, it gives the sense that Delphi RTTI came first,
that it is not a crippled reflection.
Wien.

Chris Brooksbank in <412b503c$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
them in code, CodeSmith for automatic code generation, NHibernate a
opensource object relational mapping library.
NHibernate sounds like a port (one of many) from Java source.

Iman L Crawford writes:
"Daniel Becroft" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
>Now, didn't Java (and its reflection capabilities) introduce the
>world to the concept of reflection before .NET?

I think smalltalk introduced the world to reflection, there was
probably something before that too.
This is the typical Microsoft MO (Method of Operation). They find a
technology, embrace it, extend it and then tell the world they invented
it. Almost as bad as Al gore.
-Jim McKeeth
www.bsdg.org