IBX708 install fails

2004-10-08 12:39:01 AM
delphi87
Hi,
When installing IBX 7.08 the files are placed in the system root
directory. In the installer, the only path can be choosen is the BACKUP
path.
Several dcu's are placed in the F:\bin directory (F: is where my WinXP
SP2 is installed), and checking inside Deplhi the IBX components are still
identified as "Interbase Express 6", showing that the installation failed.
I'm using a file called IBXDP708.EXE, downloaded from Code Central. I
don't know even if this is the most recent, and as Code Central search
engine is still not working, it is difficult fo find out.
Is this installer outdated? Where can I find the newest one ?
(I'm a registered Delphi user, but not a registered IB user, as I only
use IB 6.02)
Regards,
Marcelo Carvalho

Re:IBX708 install fails

All of the IBX updates are on Jeff Overcash's page on Code Central so
they are not hard to find. 7.08 is the latest IBX for D7.
I have no idea why the installer did not work for you. This is the
first report of installation problems I remember seeing. You seem to
have a non-standard Windows installation and that may have something to
do with it.
--
Bill (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:IBX708 install fails

"Marcelo Carvalho" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

When installing IBX 7.08 the files are placed in the system root
directory. In the installer, the only path can be choosen is the BACKUP
path.

The install reads the registry for the Delphi install location.
Several dcu's are placed in the F:\bin directory (F: is where my WinXP
SP2 is installed), and checking inside Deplhi the IBX components are still
identified as "Interbase Express 6", showing that the installation failed.

Sounds like you don't have a proper Delphi install. IBX reads
from the registry the root for Delphi which is always in the
registry if Delphi is correctly installed.

Re:IBX708 install fails

Hi Jeff,
I installed Delphi over Win XP SP2. Just it. Besides some libraries,
the only extra job done was to unsinstall and update IntraWeb. After
thet I installed Delphi SP1.
I usually change the path of everything related to Delphi to inside
the Borland directory, including third party tools. Any problem doing
that ?
Thanks,
Marcelo.
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:

"Marcelo Carvalho" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>Hi,
>
>When installing IBX 7.08 the files are placed in the system root
>directory. In the installer, the only path can be choosen is the
>BACKUP path.

The install reads the registry for the Delphi install location.

>Several dcu's are placed in the F:\bin directory (F: is where my
>WinXP SP2 is installed), and checking inside Deplhi the IBX
>components are still identified as "Interbase Express 6", showing
>that the installation failed.

Sounds like you don't have a proper Delphi install. IBX reads
from the registry the root for Delphi which is always in the
registry if Delphi is correctly installed.

Re:IBX708 install fails

Hi,
I installed IBX 7.08 more than once, to be sure it would be the last
update, after installing Delphi 7 Ent SP1.
After the problem begins, I tried some more times, but the path was
always blank, like a relative path. It seems to be using the last used
path. I will try again tomorrow.
I just have a dual boot, installed as M$ recomends. Installing first
Win 98 SE (C:), reserving an unpartioned space, than two extended data
partitions takes the D: and E: letters. When installing XP, it takes
the unpartioned space, crating a second primary partition, and gets the
next available letter, and becomes F:... (pushing the CD_ROM letter) As
this is a system drive, I cannot change this F: letter. I have more
than one computer with this schema, when keeping a WIn 98 is required
to run some apps or devices, and all work well. Almost all software can
take the system parameters and see the F:\WINDOWS as the system
directory (ignoring C:). Win XP takes care of the boot, providing a
menu and an initialization file in the Win 98 partition.
[][][][]
Marcelo.
Bill Todd writes:
All of the IBX updates are on Jeff Overcash's page on Code Central so
they are not hard to find. 7.08 is the latest IBX for D7.

I have no idea why the installer did not work for you. This is the
first report of installation problems I remember seeing. You seem to
have a non-standard Windows installation and that may have something
to do with it.

Re:IBX708 install fails

Hi,
Just completing, exactly the same Windows (dual boot) and Delphi install
I have in my computer at office and at home (Win XP letter is not C:). At
home the installation of IBX7.08 worked, but on the office it still fails.
Regards,
Marcelo Carvalho
"Marcelo Carvalho" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escreveu na mensagem

Bill Todd writes:

>All of the IBX updates are on Jeff Overcash's page on Code Central so
>they are not hard to find. 7.08 is the latest IBX for D7.
>
>I have no idea why the installer did not work for you. This is the
>first report of installation problems I remember seeing. You seem to
>have a non-standard Windows installation and that may have something
>to do with it.

Re:IBX708 install fails

Hi Jeff,
Just a FUP, I retried (3 times!) and this time the installation occurred
in my D: root (this is my data disk). All directories ware there (BACKUP,
bin, demos, lib, source). But Delphi still shows "Interbase Express 6" in
the IB components.
In the INSTALL.LOG there are many entries like:
Made Dir: \source
Made Dir: \source\Clx
File Copy: \source\Clx\QIBFilterSummary.xfm | 12-19-2001 | 09:00:16 | | 963
| 83fb5667
File Copy: \source\Clx\QIBFilterSummary.pas | 06-02-2002 | 13:14:36 | | 1060
| 63383c0e
All of them using relative paths!
Where should the installer find in the register the path to install? I may
check if the key is there.
Is there an way to manually install it ?
I have the same Dual Boot install of Win XP (for Delphi and general use)
and Win 98 SE (just for some specific old apps) in the office and at home.
The only difference is that in the office, where the problem occurs, it's
Win XP SP2. At home, with Win XP SP1, the installation was successful. May
it be related?
Thanks again!

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:

>"Marcelo Carvalho" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>>Hi,
>>
>>When installing IBX 7.08 the files are placed in the system root
>>directory. In the installer, the only path can be choosen is the
>>BACKUP path.
>>

>The install reads the registry for the Delphi install location.
>
>>Several dcu's are placed in the F:\bin directory (F: is where my
>>WinXP SP2 is installed), and checking inside Deplhi the IBX
>>components are still identified as "Interbase Express 6", showing
>>that the installation failed.
>>

>Sounds like you don't have a proper Delphi install. IBX reads
>from the registry the root for Delphi which is always in the
>registry if Delphi is correctly installed.

Re:IBX708 install fails

The install reads the RootDir entry from the registry in the
HKCU\software\borland\delphi7 entry. That is always there on a correctly
installed Delphi.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build

Re:IBX708 install fails

Hi Bill,
I forgot to mention that in the office, where the problem occurs, the Win
XP is SP2, while at home, where it worked, is SP1.
Regards,
Marcelo Carvalho
Diretoria - Arquivo da Propaganda
Tel/Fax: (11) 5585-3834
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.arquivo.com.br

>Hi,
>
>I installed IBX 7.08 more than once, to be sure it would be the last
>update, after installing Delphi 7 Ent SP1.
>
>After the problem begins, I tried some more times, but the path was
>always blank, like a relative path. It seems to be using the last used
>path. I will try again tomorrow.
>
>I just have a dual boot, installed as M$ recomends. Installing first
>Win 98 SE (C:), reserving an unpartioned space, than two extended data
>partitions takes the D: and E: letters. When installing XP, it takes
>the unpartioned space, crating a second primary partition, and gets the
>next available letter, and becomes F:... (pushing the CD_ROM letter) As
>this is a system drive, I cannot change this F: letter. I have more
>than one computer with this schema, when keeping a WIn 98 is required
>to run some apps or devices, and all work well. Almost all software can
>take the system parameters and see the F:\WINDOWS as the system
>directory (ignoring C:). Win XP takes care of the boot, providing a
>menu and an initialization file in the Win 98 partition.
>
>[][][][]
>
>Marcelo.
>

>Bill Todd writes:
>
>>All of the IBX updates are on Jeff Overcash's page on Code Central so
>>they are not hard to find. 7.08 is the latest IBX for D7.
>>
>>I have no idea why the installer did not work for you. This is the
>>first report of installation problems I remember seeing. You seem to
>>have a non-standard Windows installation and that may have something
>>to do with it.

Re:IBX708 install fails

Hi Jeff,
We ware writing at same time here in the news! I just post a reply to
your other message when I got this one. :-)
In the registry the path I have is a little different than the one you
informed:
Yours: HKCU\software\borland\delphi7
Mine: HKCU\software\borland\delphi\7.0
Is it relevant?
(Just to test, I created a key with the path you informed and inserted a
RoodDir entry, but the install failed again)
There I have these keys (not only these), and the informed paths are
correct:
App = F:\Arquivos de programas\Borland\Delphi7\Bin\delphi32.exe
RootDir = F:\Arquivos de programas\Borland\Delphi7
Thanks again!
Marcelo Carvalho
Remembering: Windows XP SP2, Delphi 7 Ent SP1.
"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escreveu na mensagem

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act
alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for
insects. (RAH)

Re:IBX708 install fails

Are you logged on as a member of the Administrators group when you
install IBX?
--
Bill (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:IBX708 install fails

Yes.
"Bill Todd" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escreveu na mensagem
Are you logged on as a member of the Administrators group when you
install IBX?

--
Bill (TeamB)
TeamB cannot answer questions received via email

Re:IBX708 install fails

I was just writing it from memory, it is delphi\7.0.