Re: Microsoft Vs Borland - hey, rant, a?

2005-04-24 07:22:01 AM
delphi52
1. Microsoft will eventually buy Borland. The latter has been
towing the line.
Wont happen (but again, we never know)
Resaons:
* almost last competotor on a DevTools market for Win32 and even .Net
* they already got as much as they probably could out of Borland
* There is no reason for them to buy Borland, they can repurchase some of
the pieces and it will be enough (StarTeam for example)
* They already own part of it (last time I have heard it was something about
10%
* With some 3rd party initiatieves, Pascal might became available in VS and
then might drive away some more people
* With luck of strategy and "execution", it could became unnecessary at all,
as of product line could be dropped/open sourced/disapear by it self
2. Delphi (.NET) will be folded into Visual Studio.NET
Delphi as a language? it already happenening
4. Microsoft will be forced to support other platform like Linux
because of Borland's support for other platforms.
Hey, they are planning to include Linux support in VPC already, and it is
not because of Borland, but more likely because of Mono project
5. Microsoft, once again, will rule the world.
Will?
6. And because of the above, Sun Microsystem will heand into
sunset. And other companies like IBM, HP, will....
Why? MS is not a hardware production company (except mouses and keyboards)

Re: Microsoft Vs Borland - hey, rant, a?

>1. Microsoft will eventually buy Borland.
Wont happen (but again, we never know)
They sort of already did 'buy Borland'. US$100M of (non-voting) shares in
Borland, together with the settlement of outstanding patent disputes so they
could use Borland's technology.
Resaons:
* almost last competotor on a DevTools market for Win32 and even .Net
* they already got as much as they probably could out of Borland
* There is no reason for them to buy Borland, they can repurchase some of
the pieces and it will be enough (StarTeam for example)
* They already own part of it (last time I have heard it was something about
10%
* With some 3rd party initiatieves, Pascal might became available in VS
and
then might drive away some more people
* With luck of strategy and "execution", it could became unnecessary at
all,
as of product line could be dropped/open sourced/disapear by it self
Yep. it is simply not the way capitalism works. The reason people buy out
other companies is either for strategic control or to acquire resources. MS
get Borland's resources anyway (eg they offer staff higher salaries or copy
Borland innovations and market directions) and Borland are working towards
MS's goals anyway (supporting the Windows and .net platform).
What would be the point of buying them outright? MS could do it (Borland is
a publicly listed company, MS could do a hostile takeover), but where would
it get them? Borland is useful to MS as a competitor becuase
- it keeps up the illusion of real competition in the marketplace
- competition is actually a spur to improvement in MS's own tools, which are
better marketed and sell more volume
MS buying out Borland would be (at this stage) a retrograde step, and not in
their interests. They have Borland dancing to their tune anyway.
>5. Microsoft, once again, will rule the world.

Will?
Yep, they've been ruling the software world for a long time.
Lauchlan M

Re: Microsoft Vs Borland - hey, rant, a?

* There is no reason for them to buy Borland, they can repurchase some of
the pieces and it will be enough (StarTeam for example)
Seriously, why buy the company when you can just hire the employees away...
* With some 3rd party initiatieves, Pascal might became available in VS
and
then might drive away some more people
I thought this was already a reality, with Chrome?
-BKN

Re: Microsoft Vs Borland - hey, rant, a?

>>5. Microsoft, once again, will rule the world.
>
>Will?

Yep, they've been ruling the software world for a long time.
But why "will"? When did they ever stop ruling the world? ;)
Eric

Re: Microsoft Vs Borland - hey, rant, a?

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) wrote in
<426ad887$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>:
>5. Microsoft, once again, will rule the world.

Will?
Yes Serge?
Will
--
Want native support in Delphi for AMD64/EM64T? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

Re: Microsoft Vs Borland - hey, rant, a?

>>5. Microsoft, once again, will rule the world.
>Will?
Yes Serge?
Will
I would so certain on time. I think point of questioning already passed...
--
Best regards, Serge Dosyukov, MCPx2
Dragon Soft