Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

2005-07-14 09:26:34 PM
delphi124
I just did a Google search on "asp.net" and it returned just ONE hit,
pointing to the Microsoft site asp.net/
Now I *know* there are a gazillion websites that discuss this
technology, how come they are all excluded from the query result?
Is it possible to get an "exclusive" on Google? Did MS pay them
a few million $ for this?
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

Try "asp.net"

"Arthur Hoornweg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:42d66808$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
I just did a Google search on "asp.net" and it returned just ONE hit,
pointing to the Microsoft site asp.net/
If you enter the name of a website (which incidentally "asp.net" is)
in Google, it will only show one hit which is that specific website
(try to enter "www.borland.com" or just "borland.com" without the
quotes and you see what I mean). Beneath this one hit you will find
more options that allow inter alia you to search for sites
_containing_ the search term. Or just enter "asp.net" with the quotes.
Steve

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

"Peter Sirca" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Try "asp.net"

>I just did a Google search on "asp.net" and it returned just ONE hit,
>pointing to the Microsoft site asp.net/
That's what he said he did...or is this a case of sircalar logic?
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

>Try "asp.net"
>
>>I just did a Google search on "asp.net" and it returned just ONE
>>hit,
>>pointing to the Microsoft site asp.net/

That's what he said he did...or is this a case of sircalar logic?
The quotes here are important. I guess Arthur searched without them,
for searching without them will get you a different result (see my
other post in this thread).
Steve

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

>>I just did a Google search on "asp.net" and it returned just ONE hit,
>>pointing to the Microsoft site asp.net/
>Try "asp.net"
That's what he said he did...or is this a case of sircalar logic?
I think Encouraging Bear's more encouraging little brother would spot the
difference :)

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

"Peter Sirca" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I think Encouraging Bear's more encouraging little brother would spot the
difference :)
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. it is just that it is common to put words in
quotes when you're referring to the word/s itself/themselves (as opposed to
simply using words to convey info).
That's why you often see in books telling you to do something sentences
like:
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
At the command prompt, enter "format" (without the quotes).
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
When the quotes are needed, it may be clearer to explicitly state "with the
quotes" or "quotes included."
--

In article <42d66808$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
I just did a Google search on "asp.net" and it returned just ONE hit,
pointing to the Microsoft site asp.net/
asp net
try it with or without the quotes but remove the dot

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

>I think Encouraging Bear's more encouraging little brother would spot
the
>difference :)
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. it is just that it is common to put words in
quotes when you're referring to the word/s itself/themselves (as opposed
simply using words to convey info).
Take it easy ! No offense taken, you're absolutely right and thank you for
the great company name idea :).

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

"Peter Sirca" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Take it easy ! No offense taken, you're absolutely right and thank you for
the great company name idea :).
You can send my 15% to....
<g>
--
Download Blackbird Crow Raven's book
"STILL CASTING SHADOWS: Two American Families 1620-2006"
(.exe and .pdf): cc.borland.com/ccweb.exe/listing

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

Interesting. Googling using the quotation marks around asp.net
("asp.net") brings up hundreds of results, but googling without any
quotation marks (asp.net) brings up one lousy link.
Yes, Google has been bought on this one. I am shocked.
And a few years from now the brain police will probably subpoena Google
to hand over all my searches so they strip me, put a bra on me, and call
my momma a {*word*275}. I sure am glad Google records the IP address of every
search I ever make.

Mike Vance writes:
Interesting. Googling using the quotation marks around asp.net
("asp.net") brings up hundreds of results, but googling without any
quotation marks (asp.net) brings up one lousy link.

Yes, Google has been bought on this one. I am shocked.

And a few years from now the brain police will probably subpoena
Google to hand over all my searches so they strip me, put a bra on
me, and call my momma a {*word*275}. I sure am glad Google records the IP
address of every search I ever make.
Don't be shocked. If used without quote marks, google treats it as a
possible URL.
If you believe that Google has been bought then the following (random)
samples will show that Google has been "bought" by many others....
gnu.org
bidorbuy.com
movies.com
I personally don't think that Google has been bought by GNU.org

Mike Vance writes:
Interesting. Googling using the quotation marks around asp.net
("asp.net") brings up hundreds of results, but googling without any
quotation marks (asp.net) brings up one lousy link.

Yes, Google has been bought on this one. I am shocked.
Now try vance-m.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Mike Vance writes:

>Interesting. Googling using the quotation marks around asp.net
>("asp.net") brings up hundreds of results, but googling without any
>quotation marks (asp.net) brings up one lousy link.
>
>Yes, Google has been bought on this one. I am shocked.

Now try vance-m.com
</end {*word*97} theory class="paranoia">
:)

Re:Did Microsoft buy GOOGLE or what?

Yes, Google has been bought on this one. I am shocked.
Actually, I bought Google a long time ago with the huge amounts of money I
make in advertising on howtodothings.com ;-)
--
Pete
====