What is ASP

2005-07-28 05:53:21 AM
delphi213
OK, dumb question time, but what briefly is ASP? I keep reading that D2005
(there's my Delphi link) is great for ceating ASP modules, and I know it
stands for Active Server Pages, but beyond that I am clueless.
The reason I ask is that I was always under the impression that this was a
Microsoft technology. I have just changed service providers for my website
hosting, and they provide ASP support. I figured I could learn this, and
replace my static web site with something a bit more up to date. But if ASP
requires a Microsoft browser on the client side, then I am out of luck. A
lot of my clients are university and government bodies, and they don't all
use IE (especially the universities). I wasn't able to get a clear answer
to this using Google - the vast amounts of information just muddied the
waters more.
TIA

Re:What is ASP

ASP = Active Server Pages.
So, with this, you have way to generate html, like can be with PHP, CGI,
ASP.NET, Ruby, WebBorker, Intraweb, etc...
By today standars, is considered a "old" technology.... I think that
today can be best use ASP.NET or PHP
--
Mutis: The open source indexing/search engine for Delphi
mutis.sourceforge.net/

Re:What is ASP

Dave White writes:
OK, dumb question time, but what briefly is ASP? I keep reading that
D2005 (there's my Delphi link) is great for ceating ASP modules, and
I know it stands for Active Server Pages, but beyond that I'm
clueless.
ASP (old) <>ASP.Net (new).
But if ASP
requires a Microsoft browser on the client side, then I am out of luck.
No, the client doesn't matter, ASP.Net generates html / javascript that
should (and at least mostly does) run on any browser and any computer (i.e.
Linux, Max, etc.)
Those who disdain wealth as a worthy goal for an individual or a
society seem not to realize that wealth is the only thing that can
prevent poverty. - Thomas Sowell

Re:What is ASP

"mamcx" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

By today standars, is considered a "old" technology.... I think that
today can be best use ASP.NET or PHP

Thanks mamcx and Ingvar,
but isn't ASP.Net tied to Microsofts OS, or is that only on the server side?
If I developed a site using ASP.Net, would a client running a Mac, or a
Linux box be able to browse my site? I don't want to support every browser
out there, but don't want to alienate users of complete OS's, especially in
the education sector.

Re:What is ASP

Dave White writes:
OK, dumb question time, but what briefly is ASP?
A recipe for a real headache
Painkiller:
ASP.Net
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:What is ASP

Dave White writes:
If I developed a site using ASP.Net, would a client running a Mac, or
a Linux box be able to browse my site?
Yes. Like ASP, ASP.NET is a server-side technology.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:What is ASP

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

No, the client doesn't matter, ASP.Net generates html / javascript that
should (and at least mostly does) run on any browser and any computer
(i.e.
Linux, Max, etc.)

Excellent, that make things very clear. I will start investigating this
weekend.
Thanks everybody.

Re:What is ASP

mamcx writes:
ASP = Active Server Pages.

So, with this, you have way to generate html, like can be with PHP,
CGI, ASP.NET, Ruby, WebBorker, Intraweb, etc...

By today standars, is considered a "old" technology.... I think that
today can be best use ASP.NET or PHP
ASP, as I see it, is an early attempt to bring some order in the web
applications world. (Yes, Java I know) You get something resembling
object orientation, you can even compile "objects" in Delphi and call
them from your ASP pages. These objects can do anything, really, one
snag though - one have to restart the server whenever this object is
renewed and uploaded.
I partly had good experiences with this, using Delphi packages, and
actually with an incredible response from the server. Lightning fast.
But - it soon ends up in a mess. When Steve Ballmer presented W 2003
server in Oslo, someone asked from stage if anybody had ever
successfully developed a real complicated ASP web app.
Nobody raised a hand...
Well, all this was blown away with ASP.Net. Real server based OOP, as we
are used to. Delphi rocks here too, of course, but plays a different
tune ;-)
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:What is ASP

Dave White writes:
but isn't ASP.Net tied to Microsofts OS, or is that only on the
server side? If I developed a site using ASP.Net, would a client
running a Mac, or a Linux box be able to browse my site?
Absolutely!
I don't want to support every browser
You may need to take some precautions, but not many.
Test your web app in Opera <g>(Norwegian Browser) and it will be ok in
other browsers.
out there, but don't want to alienate users of complete OS's,
especially in the education sector.
Concentrate on the server!
If it supports .Net, you're ready to go!
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:What is ASP

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:27:58 -0500, mamcx <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
WebBorker

My favorite :-)

Re:What is ASP

ckd writes:
My favorite :-)
LOL. Nanoo, nanoo!
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:What is ASP

"No, the client doesn't matter, ASP.Net generates html / javascript that
should (and at least mostly does) run on any browser and any computer (i.e.
Linux, Max, etc.)"
Unless you write HTML that doesnt. AFAIK its still a major paint to write
sites that work on more than one browser, especially if you handwrite lots
of JavaScript and/or stylesheets.

Re:What is ASP

Chris Brooksbank writes:
"No, the client doesn't matter, ASP.Net generates html / javascript
that should (and at least mostly does) run on any browser and any
computer (i.e. Linux, Max, etc.)"

Unless you write HTML that doesnt. AFAIK its still a major paint to
write sites that work on more than one browser, especially if you
handwrite lots of JavaScript and/or stylesheets.
It may be a pain if you try to achieve something special that one
browser supports, has as its speciality. But if you follow the W3C
standards, you should be safe.
I test my pages in Opera, because Opera claims they follow these
standards strictly. An according to my experience, it then looks ok in
other browsers too.
IE has some peculiarities, but they can be worked around.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
www.ingvarius.com

Re:What is ASP

"Chris Brooksbank" <NoSpamPlease@Somewhere>writes

Unless you write HTML that doesnt. AFAIK its still a major paint to write
sites that work on more than one browser, especially if you handwrite lots
of JavaScript and/or stylesheets.

I'll not be doing anything too flashy. ASP.Net is a new tool to put on my
belt, and I figured as my new web hosting provider supports this, I can kill
two birds with one stone by jazzing up my web site a bit, while at the same
time learning something new.

Re:What is ASP

Ingvar Nilsen writes:
I test my pages in Opera, because Opera claims they follow these
standards strictly. An according to my experience, it then looks ok in
other browsers too.
It's my experience that how it "looks" in one browser to the next can
have nothing to do with standards conformance :-/
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]