Re: Delphi 8

2004-02-08 11:28:09 PM
delphi251
Can someone tell me the difference between VCL Forms Application, Windows
Form Application and ASP.NET Web Application.
ASP.NET forms get turned into HTML pages when they are served by a web
server. ASP.NET forms are for producing ASP.NET web applications, not
Windows executables.
VCL forms is basically a port of the VCL to .NET. So you use TForm etc in
the same way you used to.
Winforms is the .net equivalent. Instead of using TForm you use the winforms
that MS designed (and the rest of the NET framework classes).
HTH,
Lauchlan M

Re: Delphi 8

Dave Nottage writes:
1. Launch the help.
There is also a help topic for porting your VCL apps to Dot Net apps.
Get a book on the framework. It has lots of built in functions
already. It is like the VCL but is way more extensive.

Re: Delphi 8

"Bill" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>дʼ

"Mike Williams (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>On 30 Jan 2004, "Chris M" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
>
>>Is a delphi that produces win32 exe's going the way of the dinosaur?
>>
>>If I, as of now, only produce win32 exe's for my client base will
>>Delphi 7 be the last version of Delphi thats useful to me?
>
>Borland has publicly stated that Win32 Delphi is not dead. As always,
they
>haven't announced when we might see another version.
>
>--
>-Mike (TeamB)

I got a shock and could not believe Delphi 8 COULD NOT compile for just
Win32 WITHOUT the .Net dinosaur..... Plus, all my code is gone. I understand
people at Borland have a lot of conversion to do and a lot to think. I guess
they just could not fit a clear Win32 and .net vcl lib separation together
because they maybe did not have time to think of how to maintain them both
together in the same package. it is not that the Delphi compiler does not
produce standard .exe files, it is just that the new object library is ONLY
built around .Net. It could have been that Delphi 8, with the new compiler
upgrades, shipped with the standard set of libs we all knew and produced
clear Win32 STANDALONE apps (win95..WinXP). It could have been an option in
the installation procedure.
But anyway, let's say one deals with the new lib and grammar elements of
D8; he/she upgrades all the pointers to the new way Delphi handles pointers
and finds where all the functionality of the standard vcl has migrated to.
Still, one will be forced to ship the app with the .net subset (+30Mb for a
small app???). Anyway, the .net lib has an extensive set of a few nice
components and at least they all (visual ones) support Anchors and Align
(now Anchors and Dock). I just only hope that the .net framework will not
have problems dealing with version inconsistencies.

Regards to all developers,
Bill

P.S. Borland, keep your excellent engineering up
P.S.2 I love the new IDE, I was bored with the old one. I have heard many
people dislike it, but I guess they haven't still found the option (classic
undocked) that makes it look like the older one.
P.S.3 Borland rules...

I support Bill's view. Might is it just a result by negotiation?
Might Delphi be end of life?
Might somtimes commercial be more important than technology and sometimes it
will be reversed?
Money is Not All, but No Money is None.

Re: Delphi 8

At 23:24:09, 08.02.2004, JED writes:
Dave Nottage writes:

>1. Launch the help.

There is also a help topic for porting your VCL apps to Dot Net apps.

Get a book on the framework. It has lots of built in functions
already. It is like the VCL but is way more extensive.
Some parts are more extensive, but don't forget that they are also
supposed to replace the Windows API. The component part is certainly less
extensive than the VCL.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"In America, anybody can be president. that is one of the risks you take."

Re: Delphi 8

>I don't have a scooby were to start. Hurry up Xavier/Marco with the books. <<
I'm trying, I am trying!
Look for:
Subject: VCL.Net and Windows Forms .Net
in
borland.public.delphi.language.delphi
There's an ongoing discussion about whether to use SWF or VCL.NET. There's a lot of speculation as to what is the right
approach and that comes from not having the magic crystal ball to know what MS and Borl are going to do in the future.
To summarize:
WinForms is used for building GUI apps in Windows/.NET using the framework in System.Windows.Forms
VCL.NET is used for building GUI apps in Windows/.NET (and Win32 eventually, maybe) using the VCL framework
IOW, they both do the same thing using different frameworks.
WebForms are used for creating functionally rich web applications under .NET (Web pages instead of GUI Forms).
Microsoft is creating Avalon
Current Speculation is that Avalon will render WinForms as obsolete
Microsoft would probably say (and probably has) that Winforms will not be obsolete and/or there will be an easy port.
Borland would probably say that VCL.NET will be a better framework to get your apps to Avalon. They will add that by using
VCL.NET, you will get to leverage work you've already done and will be able to target .NET and Win32 using the same code base.
hope this helps - a little at least.
-- x
------------------------------------
Xapware Technologies Inc.
Manage your projects with
Active! Focus - Get More Done!
www.xapware.com

Re: Delphi 8

Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
The component part is certainly less
extensive than the VCL.
This is definately true. Also expect to pay more for C# components for
the few I have seen around.

Re: Delphi 8

Its possible work with Delphi 8.0 with Linux ?
How ?
Vivian

Re: Delphi 8

viviane lima - * - * - writes:
Its possible work with Delphi 8.0 with Linux ?
no - not at present.
there is an open source project called "Mono" which will hopefully enable the
running of .NET assemblies on Linux (or any *nix).
cheers,
Mat

Re: Delphi 8

no - not at present.

I heard about Delphi 8 projects that do run with MONO, but I have no idea if
they are complex enough to be useful and what needs to be done and what
to be avoided to create such projects.
-Michael

Re: Delphi 8

Rick Carter writes:
>I heard about Delphi 8 projects that do run with MONO, but I have no idea if
>they are complex enough to be useful and what needs to be done and what
>to be avoided to create such projects.

IIRC, there have been posts from Xavier Pacheco and others at another
forum -- I believe it was borland.public.delphi.non-technical -- saying
that they have been able to make Delphi 8 projects run under Linux with Wine.

Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Uhhg!! You can do that with D3 :)

Re: Delphi 8

I heard about Delphi 8 projects that do run with MONO, but I have no idea if
they are complex enough to be useful and what needs to be done and what
to be avoided to create such projects.
IIRC, there have been posts from Xavier Pacheco and others at another
forum -- I believe it was borland.public.delphi.non-technical -- saying
that they have been able to make Delphi 8 projects run under Linux with Wine.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Chair, Paradox/Delphi SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group

Re: Delphi 8

IIRC, there have been posts from Xavier Pacheco and others at another
forum -- I believe it was borland.public.delphi.non-technical -- saying
that they have been able to make Delphi 8 projects run under Linux with Wine.

Does that mean with Mono plus wine ? (A Framework is needed for any D8
project, of course). So the stuff running in Linux is the Framework and
not the Delphi 8 project, and the Framework is a native Linux program. So Wine
would not be useful, maybe WineLib is.
While using Wine/WineLib seems too clumsy to be useful, the Mono project
might be able to include the necessary stuff from Wine into their
framework.
-Michael

Re: Delphi 8

Hello,
I want to be able to deploy this application to many computers from the
network.
Is there a way to created a administrative deployment with Transform files.
Just like Office 2000 or XP could get install.
I want to create custom installation that will include all the components I
want and serial # and authorization key will be there. I don't want the
users to go thru the installation choices.
Thanks

Re: Delphi 8

I installed Delphi 8, and then upgrade 2. And then ran Delphi. No
Installed projects. No components.
??
Oliver Townshend

Re: Delphi 8

Did you start Delphi as another user, that will give you trouble.
You have to install Delphi as the user who are going to use it, else you
will have to copy some of the registry settings to the user.