Who Was BDS 2006 Written For ?

2006-02-09 06:22:55 AM
delphi97
With recent developments, I pose one question.
Who was BDS 2006 written for ?
Was it written for the developers ?
Was it written for existing Borland shareholders ?
Was it written for the new company owners ?
As in, is Delphi 2006 just another egg like Delphi 2005 - with just a
slightly thicker shell aimed at increasing sell prices ?
Or did Borland write it for the developers, and then make the decision
that it was good enough to sell ?

Re:Who Was BDS 2006 Written For ?

With recent developments, I pose one question.

Who was BDS 2006 written for ?

Was it written for the developers ?

Was it written for existing Borland shareholders ?

Was it written for the new company owners ?

As in, is Delphi 2006 just another egg like Delphi 2005 - with just a
slightly thicker shell aimed at increasing sell prices ?

Or did Borland write it for the developers, and then make the decision
that it was good enough to sell ?
I don't get what you're angling at here? Things like this are *not*
discussed widely within the company prior to public disclosure. In fact,
legally the execs are obligate to remain quiet until they've properly lined
up an avenue for disclosure. I think you're searching for some juicy
{*word*97} where there is none... UNLESS I am part of that {*word*97} ;-)...
Hmmm...
--
Allen Bauer
Delphi/C#Builder/C++Builder Chief Scientist

Allen Bauer writes:
I think you're searching for some juicy
{*word*97} where there is none... UNLESS I am part of that {*word*97} ;-)...
Hmmm...

Nah - nothing so juicy.
Just the simple facts that if you are going to sell your car - you spend
money on the outside and appearance that you may have spent on new
features, non-critical fixes etc if you were keeping it.
This isn't a technical question (I know the gang did what ever they were
asked to do well), however I am curious to know what effect this
impending change had on their direction with BDS 2006 ?

Re:Who Was BDS 2006 Written For ?

Nothing like that at all. We didn't know about the plans for the sale while
we were working on BDS 2006 or even 24 hours ago for that matter. Management
didn't make any significant changes to our schedule, staffing level, or
scope of the product during the development cycle. The direction from the
start to the end was to deliver a high quality product that our customers
will be thrilled with.
Tim
"Christopher Burke" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Tim Del Chiaro (Borland) writes:
Nothing like that at all. We didn't know about the plans for the sale while
we were working on BDS 2006 or even 24 hours ago for that matter. Management
didn't make any significant changes to our schedule, staffing level, or
scope of the product during the development cycle.
Thanks - that is everything I wanted to know.
Means BDS 2006 was indeed written for us :)

Re:Who Was BDS 2006 Written For ?

Thanks - that is everything I wanted to know.

Means BDS 2006 was indeed written for us :)
That's what I try and do each time a new line of code comes through my
keyboard. That was why I was confused a little about your original post in
this thread. I do, however like your sinking ship analogy... although I
don't think that Borland is sinking... maybe listing a little bit and needs
to drop some ballast... but that extra ballast is in the form of gold bars.
You don't just dump it overboard. You call to see if a passing ship can
take it ;-) Oh geez.. I went way too far with that analogy didn't I? Move
along. Nothing to see here...
--

Christopher Burke writes:
With recent developments, I pose one question.

Who was BDS 2006 written for ?

Was it written for the developers ?

Was it written for existing Borland shareholders ?

Was it written for the new company owners ?

As in, is Delphi 2006 just another egg like Delphi 2005 - with just a
slightly thicker shell aimed at increasing sell prices ?

Or did Borland write it for the developers, and then make the
decision that it was good enough to sell ?
Given that most people have said how much they like it.
I would say it was written for developers.
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Christopher Burke writes:
Just the simple facts that if you are going to sell your car - you
spend money on the outside and appearance that you may have spent on
new features, non-critical fixes etc if you were keeping it.
There are lots of us who PAID for BDS 2006, and USE BDS 2006, and have
said time and time again on THIS GROUP that BDS 2006 contains the BEST
Delphi EVER.
That doesn't come from making the outside pretty. That comes from
making the inside SOLID and giving some AWESOME functionality.
From my own experience and the experience others have expressed, I have
no doubt that BDS 2006 was written FOR DEVELOPERS.
(PS I apoligize for some caps, but I just couldn't help myself...)
--
Jon Robertson
Borland Certified Advanced Delphi 7 Developer

Re:Who Was BDS 2006 Written For ?

"Liz" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev
Christopher Burke writes:

>Who was BDS 2006 written for ?

Given that most people have said how much they like it.

I would say it was written for developers.

... and for people who does both Delphi and C++

Re:Who Was BDS 2006 Written For ?

Allen, I appreciate your analogy and your candor. Keep up the good work!