Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

2006-11-24 04:32:30 PM
delphi257
Nick Hodges (CodeGear) writes:
I.P. Nichols writes:

>With what has taken place over the years, CodeGear's marketing has a
>gargantuan task both in scope and expense if it is to reverse the
>downward spirial of Delphi's imagine and restore customer
>confidence.

One of the challenges is to get people to realize that there has not,
in fact, been a "downward spiral" of Delphi sales.
Very challenging indeed, if you plan on doing it without releasing
historical sales figures showing either increasing sales or a high
upgrade rate.
Ian

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

On 23 Nov 2006 14:36:02 -0700, "Nick Hodges (CodeGear)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
What if you had the option to do a Google search when you hit F1?
Better yet, make it configurable like the "tools" section, ie use a
macro for the search word and what not, so people can enter their own
search engine + search options.
- Asbjørn

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

"Bob Dawson" wrote
winner is business process management (BMP) or workflow software,
Oops, should be BPM of course.
www.bpmg.org
For additional compliance pitches see
www.ultimus.com/solutions/compliance_detail.htm
www.global360.com/collateral/compliance_whitepaper.pdf
www.bpminstitute.org/whitepapers/whitepaper/article/beyond-sarbanes-oxley-compliance-the-benefits-of-bpm-for-compliance.html
or of course
www.s-ox.com/Feature/detail.cfm
containing the sentence "A solution to a company's compliance needs begins
with business goals alignment with an eye toward creating business value
through process change initiatives."
How's that for suit-speak?
bobD

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

Mike Vance <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I am so happy with what has been going on with the
CodeGear spin-off
Too much sugar on your coffee ?
that I will now go and place my order for Turbo Delphi>Professional.
I'll wait for the next release...
For .NET development, I need ".NET framework 2.0"
For Native Win development, I need a more stable IDE, and integrated 64 bits & Unicode support...
And, I NEED both. I have tried last version, and didn't convince me.
I'm also agree that If another company bought it DevCo, there were ALSO potential problems, even the same "low investment-quick and big profits expected" that occur with Borland...
I wish that, in middle/large term, CodeGear improves quality, and generates enough profits, in order to find another investor...
Just my 2 cents...

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

Bob Dawson writes:
I thought there was no such thing as an {*word*201} rate--just whatever
the market sets <g>.
When the particular market (these types of consultants) develops solely as a
result of such government regulation, it is {*word*201} because it is an
artificial market that is diverting money away from otherwise productive
employment.
As for jobs, are all those "1000s of hours of accounting and legal
efforts" being done pro bono?
Do you believe breaking windows is good for the economy just because window
mfgs and installers get more business and profit? If that were true, then
vandalism would not be a crime but a necessary and valuable virtue in
society. SOX and other such regulations break *a lot* of windows.
--
Wayne Niddery - Winwright, Inc (www.winwright.ca)
"Those who disdain wealth as a worthy goal for an individual or a

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

David Erbas-White writes:

Why does everyone persist in believing that everyone has an online
internet connection (and a fast one, at that) on a 24/7 basis?
I note that I used the word "option" in my query.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

Didier Gasser-Morlay writes:
if you Google on the Web then the noise in the results list will be
overwhelming to the point of being useless.
I have exactly the opposite experience with Google.
As someone already suggested, have you had a look at the php.net
documentation area ?
Yes -- I have repeatedly and steadfastly said that we want to do
something like this.
--

Lord Crc writes:
Better yet, make it configurable like the "tools" section, ie use a
macro for the search word and what not, so people can enter their own
search engine + search options.
Exactly.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

Bob Dawson writes:
I don't think you could track modern business finance and it is string
of scandals and come to any other conclusion than that it is very
poorly regulated/policed.
Right -- and 100% of those scandals were scandals because they broke
existing laws.
I also think these scandals represented approximately %0.001 of the
businesses out there.
One bad apple did spoil it for the whole bunch. Alas.
--

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Do you believe breaking windows is good for the economy just because
window mfgs and installers get more business and profit? If that were
true, then vandalism would not be a crime but a necessary and valuable
virtue in society. SOX and other such regulations break *a lot* of
windows.
I suspect they keep a lot of windows from being broken in the first place.
Most corporations will do the bare minimum they can legally get away with,
and if the laws are not enforced they won't even do that. SOX partially
fixes a flaw in the corporate model, namely the limited liability of the
executives. It is not perfect, but it is definitely a step in the right
direction. The correct thing to do would be to abolish the ability for
anybody to incorporate, and phase out corporations and other "limited
liability" organizations altogether. But given the power corporations have
over the political process, it is surprising that even SOX became law,
especially when right-wing ideologues have/had so much power of late.

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

Bob Dawson writes:
Some people see a traffic regulations and cops as a minor expense in
the interest of public safety, others see an artificial market
creating non-productive jobs, and interfering with people's natural
right to drive however they darn well please, at any speed they
please, and under the influence of anything they please, without such
'artificial' regulation. <g>
We could get a lot more compliance with traffic laws if every driver
were forced to hire an auditor to drive along with them and report all
violations.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

"John Jacobson" wrote
Most corporations will do the bare minimum they can legally get
away with, and if the laws are not enforced they won't even do that.
SOX partially fixes a flaw in the corporate model, namely the limited
liability of the executives. It is not perfect, but it is definitely a
step
in the right direction.
And before anyone steps in with 'anti-business' charges, let's make clear
that this has nothing to do with business in particular other than as a
human activity. Senior executives are no different than anyone else in
appraising decisions through the lens of their own self-interest.
bobD

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" wrote

Because it is requirements go way beyond "solid internal financial
structures and controls".
and that is why Borland, for example, can not even figure out (and document)
the business value of DTG?
IME, most large business haven't got a clue how their own finances work.
Sorry, lost me there. Who said anything about not enforcing the law?
I don't think you could track modern business finance and it is string of
scandals and come to any other conclusion than that it is very poorly
regulated/policed.
bobD

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

"Wayne Niddery [TeamB]" wrote
result of such government regulation, it is {*word*201} because it is an
artificial market that is diverting money away from otherwise
productive employment.
Some people see a traffic regulations and cops as a minor expense in the
interest of public safety, others see an artificial market creating
non-productive jobs, and interfering with people's natural right to drive
however they darn well please, at any speed they please, and under the
influence of anything they please, without such 'artificial' regulation. <g>
SOX and other such regulations break *a lot* of windows.
And what would those be?
bobD

Re: Very Happy With CodeGear Spin-Off

Bob Dawson writes:
As with SOX, the only issue is that of whether enforcement
cost is ultimately cheaer or more expensive than allowing the
increased number of crimes that would otherwise happen undetected.
Exactly. And I assert that it is more expensive for little gain.
SOX was a gross overreaction to something that really isn't as big a
problem as was generally believed.