Re: R&D Investment

2005-09-12 09:46:53 AM
delphi206
Ian Boyd writes:
>That's great. What about everyone else?

If Borland can get their real work done - then maybe they can spend
some time after-school on their pet projects.
That's insulting to the many that want what Borland are providing, not
to mention to Borland. Please refrain from doing that.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: R&D Investment

Henry <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <4324675b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>I laugh at them openly now,
>because they are the court jester, and I am tired of being expected to revere
>them as the king's wise advisor.

I humbly suggest that this is rather arrogant.
I think it is arrogant to suggest that.
--
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.1119

Re: R&D Investment

Henry <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <4324675b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
>Come on! How do you know any of those things? Answer: you don't. You aren't
>even *allowed* to know.

Eh? The work by QC members is public
Irrelevant. You were talking about Borland hiring, and what it takes to fix
bugs, neither of which is determined by QC activities.
--
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.1119

Re: R&D Investment

Henry <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <4324675b$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
I humbly suggest that this is rather arrogant.
As opposed to the arrogance implicit in the post that started this thread?
--
Posted with JSNewsreader-BETA 0.9.4.1119

Re: R&D Investment

Bob Dawson writes:
Bit mangled there. Actually, Vulcan came first. Interesting interview here:

www.foxprohistory.org/interview_wayne_ratliff.htm
You are correct. I forgot the name of the xBase product that Ratliff developed
and was marketing long after dBase and the only name that sprang to mind was
Vulcan (must be Star Trek memories mixed up in there...). It was actually
Emerald Bay I was thinking of. I almost bought it at one point as it sounded
great, but I didn't and I guess that is why it disappeared. On second thought,
that should have guaranteed its success because every other development product
I ever bought disappeared shortly thereafter <g>(hopefully Delphi will be the
exception).
Very interesting interview. Here is a link with additional history of dBase and
Borland's part in it:
www.staubassociates.com/dbase/bu03hist.htm
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.
"Walloon"

Re: R&D Investment

Jacob Thurman writes:
>Yet Borland cannot hire one more person to work
>on the quality of the existing Delphi codebase.
Adding more people does not improve the quality or accelerate the schedule
of a project. 9 women cannot make a baby in one month, and if they tried,
it would probably come out looking worse than a normal one.
Adding more people to the Delphi team may not be helpful to advancing their
schedule, but someone could work concurrently on QA.

Re: R&D Investment

"Gerald Morris" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>>Replace "cannot hire" with "have not hired". I know for a fact that
>>they have hired no more people than they have :)
>
>Yeah, otherwise they would have more. <g>
>--

Unless you apply Jeds IsTrue function to the issue
(function IsTrue(Expression: TExpression): Boolean;)

*grins*
Perhaps the best WTF ever?
Best,
Dave

Re: R&D Investment

Such as?
Didn't Borland try to write the next MS Office killer? Seem to recall
something about that.
--
Jason Southwell
www.arcanatech.com

Re: R&D Investment

turbo prolog?

Re: R&D Investment

Mike Margerum writes:
turbo prolog?
I don't know.
But then, the wiki entry spoke about technology that eventually caught
on the rest of the market. I have never heard of Turbo Prolog, so it
can't be it. :)

Re: R&D Investment

not entirely true
some of the work from outside does make in code (FastMM, dbExpress, etc)
No it isn't. We provide test cases, Borland staff work on the bug fixes.