Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

2007-09-19 10:57:51 PM
delphi127
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
dk_sz writes:

>My mainform unit is 20,000 lines... and that is
>pure code to maintain GUI.

Frames are nice for partitioning stuff like this.

Amen! 20K LOC in one file tells me that someone is not very good at
partitioning a problem. The only way to get that much code into a
single UI unit is through using wasteful "bones code" to load/store data
instead of using bound controls (use bound controls) or through heavy
modification of component behavior (complexity that can be reduced by
using frames or developing custom components)

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Mark,
| The only way to get that much code into a single UI unit is through
| using wasteful "bones code" to load/store data instead of using bound
| controls (use bound controls) or through heavy modification of
| component behavior (complexity that can be reduced by using frames or
| developing custom components)
No,... that is NOT the "only" way! <g>
09/19/2007 09:54:20
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Q Correll writes:
No,... that is NOT the "only" way! <g>
He did omit "cut and paste." :)
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
server: support.borland.com/entry.jspa

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

>My mainform unit is 20,000 lines... and that is
>pure code to maintain GUI.

Frames are nice for partitioning stuff like this.
I did this back in 2001/2002 for an app and I
have been sorry about it ever since. When you are
only using each frame one time you really sacrifice a
lot of simplicity. Sure, I could split it up, but I would
just need to code even more to connect everything...
I would suddenly have 40 units instead of one...
And it would total to probably +25% code.
I was very careful about using frame the correct
way back then, but for me, it just isn't worth it.
bestr egards
Thomas Schulz

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

single UI unit is through using wasteful "bones code" to load/store data
instead of using bound controls (use bound controls) or through heavy
Uhh... I have none of that, but whatever.
best regards
Thomas Schulz

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Craig,
| | No,... that is NOT the "only" way! <g>
|
| He did omit "cut and paste." :)
<chuckle>
I pretty much wrote 20 KLOC from scratch, over quite a long period of
time, without doiung what he said or much cut-n-pasting. <g>
09/19/2007 16:39:59
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Nigel Tavendale writes:
It is a large file - almost 14000 lines of code. Maybe that is it.
Has someone reported this yet?

Yes, we know about it.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Yes, we know about it.
Any idea of an ETA for a fix?
"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Nigel Tavendale writes:

>It is a large file - almost 14000 lines of code. Maybe that is it.
>Has someone reported this yet?

Yes, we know about it.

--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Nigel,
| It is a large file - almost 14000 lines of code. Maybe that is it.
| Has someone reported this yet?
Yes, I and some others have reported it.
And Nick, Chris, and the team have been working with me on the problem
since I live close to Scotts Valley and have visited to leave one of my
large apps (20+ KLOC) with them, under NDA, for them to use for testing
and debugging.
I think it will take some time to make siginificant performance "fixes."
09/20/2007 10:47:11
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's salutation mod]

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

Nigel Tavendale writes:
Any idea of an ETA for a fix?
I can not really comment on anything we may or may not do in the future.
Alas.
But we know about it.
--

"Nick Hodges (CodeGear)" writes:

>Any idea of an ETA for a fix?

I can not really comment on anything we may or may not do in the future.
Alas.
Have you considered making a Chris Crocker parody about how much you despise
SOX for interfering with CodeGear's desire to provide it is customers with
helpful and timely information? You could just dub your words onto this
one...
www.youtube.com/watch&search=

Nigel Tavendale writes:

>Any idea of an ETA for a fix?

I can not really comment on anything we may or may not do in the future.
Alas.

But we know about it.

What would a hypothetical, right-thinking, forward-looking company do in
such a situation???
David Erbas-White

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

does not help, i turned them all off right from the start and the ide is
still slow right to the point that its completely unworkable. Must admit
i have a few 10k+ (mayby even more, afraid to look :P) in my projectgroup
I silently assume the new ugly ide is the problem and therefore d2005
and 2006 and 2007 are all suffering from the same bug.
I'm waiting for the fix...
Suri writes:
Seems to happen more often on the big pas file. Turning off "Help
Insight" did the trick for me:

-Goto Options | Editor Options | Code insight
-Turn off "Tooltip Help Insight"

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

David Erbas-White writes:

What would a hypothetical, right-thinking, forward-looking company do
in such a situation???
Such a company might look at doing a hotfix.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear
blogs.codegear.com/nickhodges

Re: Delphi 2007 Memory Leak

does not help, i turned them all off right from the start and the ide is
still slow right to the point that its completely unworkable. Must admit
Does not help me either :-(
I silently assume the new ugly ide is the problem and therefore d2005
D2005 did not have this issue. In general Delphi 2007 is faster
and better, but for large file it feels like playing games over
old modems. Jags and stalls all the time when typing :-(
best regards
Thomas Schulz