Re: .net solves versioning issues

2008-04-17 05:37:06 AM
delphi170
Mike Margerum writes:
Just got an email from intuit that an update to .net 2.0 runtime breaks
quickbooks 2008 and you have to reinstall .net to fix it. My customer
is really glad to here about this.

Boy they sure did fix all those pesky dll versioning problems in .net
didn't they? This kind of {*word*99} is why I dont link to anything that
isn't in the core os in my apps.

The thing with .Net breaking stuff is not that .Net stuff breaks.
It is apps that link to specific COM classes that get overridden by the .Net installer that make problems.
Like for instance the dexplore stuff gets updated when installing 2.0.
I have yet to see a .Net app that gets broken by either having 2.0 installed over 1.1 or by running on
2.0 only.
Also, MSFT has a tradition of creating ever worsening installers.
Remember XP SP2? That setup is so incredibly shitty, you wouldn't actually use it.
To get XP SP2, you'd slipstream it into an new XP CD using nLite. Or Vista SP1, or VS2005 SP1, or...

Mike Margerum writes:
Just got an email from intuit that an update to .net 2.0 runtime
breaks quickbooks 2008 and you have to reinstall .net to fix it. My
customer is really glad to here about this.
I suggest that this may be at least as much an Intuit problem as a
Microsoft problem. There are numerous stories about Quickbooks
affecting unrelated programs and files - enough to strongly suggest
that Intuit has coded some very non-standard behavior.

Re: .net solves versioning issues

I suggest that this may be at least as much an Intuit problem as a
Microsoft problem. There are numerous stories about Quickbooks
Then why does reinstallin .net 2.0 fix it?
As much as i hate have 800mb of java runtime on my machine I at least
appreciate that my app wont break when they issue new updates.

Re: .net solves versioning issues

" Tom Corey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I suggest that this may be at least as much an Intuit problem as a
Microsoft problem. There are numerous stories about Quickbooks
affecting unrelated programs and files - enough to strongly suggest
that Intuit has coded some very non-standard behavior.
To say the least. I downloaded a new version and installed it on my Vista
machine. I wanted QB because it is one of the few that will "print" to pdf
so you can email a decent looking invoice. Except the pdf library they
shipped wouldn't work on Vista. Look at their site, they are aware of it
and provide a link to another PDF library. Install that and it takes over
the printer port my printer was using. can not print anything *except*
invoices from QB, but only to a pdf file.
Uninstall QB and the pdf library and my printer port goes with it - and so
far I haven't figured out how to get it back, so I now have to copy things
over to my old computer if I want to print them.
I won;t be buying anything from Intuit again any time soon.
--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)

Mike Margerum writes:

>Just got an email from intuit that an update to .net 2.0 runtime
>breaks quickbooks 2008 and you have to reinstall .net to fix it. My
>customer is really glad to here about this.

I suggest that this may be at least as much an Intuit problem as a
Microsoft problem. There are numerous stories about Quickbooks
affecting unrelated programs and files - enough to strongly suggest
that Intuit has coded some very non-standard behavior.
I had the same problem in Delphi 2007 as QuickBooks users have had with
QuickBooks. That strongly suggests otherwise.

Re: .net solves versioning issues

"Mike Margerum" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Just got an email from intuit that an update to .net 2.0 runtime breaks
quickbooks 2008 and you have to reinstall .net to fix it. My customer is
really glad to here about this.

Boy they sure did fix all those pesky dll versioning problems in .net
didn't they?
Object Oriented Programming encourages componentization, which encourages
things like .NET. In theory, OOP is a great idea, but in implementation by
fallible human beings it sometimes seems to simply shift the problems
around. Even in the hands of programmers picked carefully from around the
world and nurtured in the Microsoft environment, it falls short. In the end,
there is no escaping the inevitability of human incompetence.

"Wayne Niddery (TeamB)" writes:
>I suggest that this may be at least as much an Intuit problem as a
>Microsoft problem. There are numerous stories about Quickbooks
>affecting unrelated programs and files - enough to strongly suggest
>that Intuit has coded some very non-standard behavior.

To say the least. I downloaded a new version and installed it on my Vista
machine. I wanted QB because it is one of the few that will "print" to pdf
so you can email a decent looking invoice. Except the pdf library they
shipped wouldn't work on Vista. Look at their site, they are aware of it
and provide a link to another PDF library. Install that and it takes over
the printer port my printer was using. can not print anything *except*
invoices from QB, but only to a pdf file.

Uninstall QB and the pdf library and my printer port goes with it - and so
far I haven't figured out how to get it back, so I now have to copy things
over to my old computer if I want to print them.

I won;t be buying anything from Intuit again any time soon.
You might be able to salvage your QB since Nitro PDF Professional will allow
you to print to a PDF as if it were just another printer on your system and
works with Vista.
www.nitropdf.com/professional/create-pdf.htm

On 2008-04-16, Mike Margerum <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Just got an email from intuit that an update to .net 2.0 runtime breaks
quickbooks 2008 and you have to reinstall .net to fix it. My customer
is really glad to here about this.

Boy they sure did fix all those pesky dll versioning problems in .net
didn't they?
Afaik only the option to have several versions at the same time, and a
(manual) way to assign versions to apps.

Re: .net solves versioning issues

On Apr 17, 4:20 am, "Wayne Niddery \(TeamB\)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
" Tom Corey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writesnews:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

>I suggest that this may be at least as much an Intuit problem as a
>Microsoft problem. There are numerous stories about Quickbooks
>affecting unrelated programs and files - enough to strongly suggest
>that Intuit has coded some very non-standard behavior.

To say the least. I downloaded a new version and installed it on my Vista
machine. I wanted QB because it is one of the few that will "print" to pdf
so you can email a decent looking invoice. Except the pdf library they
shipped wouldn't work on Vista.  Look at their site, they are aware of it
and provide a link to another PDF library. Install that and it takes over
the printer port my printer was using. can not print anything *except*
invoices from QB, but only to a pdf file.

Uninstall QB and the pdf library and my printer port goes with it - and so
far I haven't figured out how to get it back, so I now have to copy things
over to my old computer if I want to print them.

I won;t be buying anything from Intuit again any time soon.

--
Wayne Niddery - TeamB (www.teamb.com)
Winwright, Inc. (www.winwright.ca)
That is a serious bug. Maybe there's something wrong with your
particular installation? Is this behavior consistent on other PCs?

Re: .net solves versioning issues

"Mike Margerum" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Boy they sure did fix all those pesky dll versioning problems in .net
didn't they? This kind of {*word*99} is why I dont link to anything that
isn't in the core os in my apps.
When I installed Visual Studio, I overwrote a notifications dll used by my
wireless device. It would be great if Microsoft checked for the existing
dll before nuking it.

Re: .net solves versioning issues

"I.P. Nichols" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

You might be able to salvage your QB since Nitro PDF Professional will
allow you to print to a PDF as if it were just another printer on your
system and works with Vista.
www.nitropdf.com/professional/create-pdf.htm
This looks like a decent product anyway, but I have no desire to salvage QB.
What amazes me is that new versions of accounting software still generally
don't provide the capability to email in *any* format but plain ascii -
Simply Accounting and MS Money included. Yet this is so easy to do - takes 5
minutes to pipe a report to pdf in Delphi using practically *any* report
engine product.
--

In article <48067182$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
The thing with .Net breaking stuff is not that .Net stuff breaks.
It is apps that link to specific COM classes that get overridden by
the .Net installer that make problems.
Like for instance the dexplore stuff gets updated when installing 2.0.
How is that NOT ".NET breaking stuff"?

Re: .net solves versioning issues

In article <48068ec0$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...

>Just got an email from intuit that an update to .net 2.0 runtime breaks
>quickbooks 2008 and you have to reinstall .net to fix it. My customer is
>really glad to here about this.
>
>Boy they sure did fix all those pesky dll versioning problems in .net
>didn't they?

Object Oriented Programming encourages componentization
Not sure that is true... OO is clearly well suited to Component
Orientated development, but components don't have to be OO.
So its probably the other way around... Component Orientated development
encourages the the use of OO, since it is particularly well suited.
Chicken? Egg?
:)

Jolyon Smith writes:
In article <48067182$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...

>The thing with .Net breaking stuff is not that .Net stuff breaks.
How is that NOT ".NET breaking stuff"?
Hmm... have I missed something. I didn't say that .Net doesn't break stuff.
I said that it won't break .Net apps. In all those years I am working with it, I have yet to see that
to happen.
By making MSI themselves, MSFT pretty much ensured that they keep world champion in "creating the
worst installers".
So yes, take anything you like, give it to the MS shitstaller guru, and he will work night and day
until even Notepad will reliably break stuff...

Re: .net solves versioning issues

In article <4807b693$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Jolyon Smith writes:
>In article <48067182$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
>
>>The thing with .Net breaking stuff is not that .Net stuff breaks.
>How is that NOT ".NET breaking stuff"?

Hmm... have I missed something. I didn't say that .Net doesn't break stuff.
I said that it won't break .Net apps. In all those years I am working with it, I have yet to see that
to happen.
I'm not sure that that is a very useful distinction.
"Dammit, .NET has broken my app!!!"
"Well that wouldn't have happened if the app was a .NET app."
"Great, so to fix it all I have to do is arrange to have the whole thing
rewritten in .NET and then my problems will disappear. Which is to say,
I'll just have a different way of putting a name to my current problem."
lol
So yes, take anything you like, give it to the MS shitstaller guru, and he will work night and day
until even Notepad will reliably break stuff...
Now _that_'s something _I've_ never seen happen.
;)