Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

2006-02-17 05:17:25 PM
delphi266
Brandon Staggs kirjoitti:

I find it hard to believe that Tiger is so much better that I would
think it better than Windows.
Apple lost a lot when they switched to OSX. There were a lot things
better in the old MacOS. They are getting better with OSX with every
iteration.
>Mac has never been about the candy coating. They just did it in OSX,

Beg to differ, that is almost all it has ever been. Steve Jobs in
particular promotes style over substance, always.
Never. The first thing for Apple is always the usability. After that
comes everything else. E.g. iPods aren't that popular because they are
cool colored, they have the best UI.
>because it was possible. And MS trying desperately catch up with vista...

LOL -- MS "trying desperately" to catch up. Windows outnumbers Mac
OSX 10 to 1, and is "desperate." I'd I could be that desperate to
catch up to my competition.
Windows is more popular, but is it better than Mac? Simple no. And
that's *so* embarrassing for MS.
David S.

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

Jobs got fired from the company that he had founded. By the man he had
hired. that is enough to make anybody bitter. it is useless to write that
*old* quote. He has made the second coming.
Actually Apple is a lot like Borland. The iPod business is the growing
business there, and he really should spin off the PC (Mac) part of the
business.
Oliver Townshend

Brandon Staggs kirjoitti:
"David Dean" wrote on Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:23:33 -0500:

>That just shows you are behind the times. Apple is delivering
>multi-button mice now:
>
><www.apple.com/mightymouse/>

Yeah, only took them what, 20 years? ;-)
This is the one thing that really puzzles me. Somebody at Apple insisted
to keep the one button mouse even when many of their customers bought a
new mouse with more buttons after buying the Mac. That somebody should
be fired.
And it wasn't Jobs. He was a away for 10 years and still they used the
one button mouse.
David S.

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

"Kyle A. Miller"
Doesn't matter. Dvorak says Apple is going Windows.

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1927886,00.asp
I wholeheartedly agree with this analysis. I have been watching Apple since
the inception of the Mac. In fact I started my career on that platform and
was heavily tied into it for years before I switched. My switch was, funnily
enough, driven primarily by the release of Delphi.
The users of the Mac are not like those for Windows. And it is not "style
over substance", it is much deeper than that.
Oh boy, would I love to be able to sell to those users again.

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

Actually Apple is a lot like Borland. The iPod business is the
growing business there, and he really should spin off the PC (Mac)
part of the business.
Apple is a lot like Borland *except* the iPod is a very profitable business
that dominates marketshare. ;)
Not to mention that they have a visionary leader.
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.brainendeavor.com

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

Not big enough a leap to overtake Windows.
Clearly not in terms of marketshare. But that is impossible to do if Apple
doesn't do clones; and really not necessary for them to be profitable and
significant (which they already are).
Vista is coming and the WPF
(Avalon) is deemed to be superior to OSX's user interface.
Again, superiority is subjective, but from what I have seen of WPF it looks
good.
>The question there is would you
>tour with Britney as her opening act? Would you sign her to your
>record label? Would you produce Britney Spears merchandise like
>dolls, etc?
Well, no.
An opportunity lost.
Now, they are switching to Intel processors.
Which makes tons of sense considering that PowerPC has moved in a different
direction.
Soon they'll be switching
to Windows. And after that all you will have is an infuriatingly
expensive PC-clone that looks like a hyp toaster.
That remains to be seen, however I seriously doubt that will be the case.
>There are a lot of *smart*
>developers that I respect using Macs today, so perhaps your view of
>Apple is somewhat dated.
It must be. But then, didn't Steve Jobs make up his mind long ago?

"If I were running Apple, I'd milk the Macintosh for all it's
worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over.
Done. Microsoft won a long time ago."
--Steve Jobs 1996, Fortune Interview
If 10 years ago isn't dated, I don't know what to tell you. it is obvious
to me that you don't like Apple for some reason and aren't willing to approach
it with an open mind. that is fine, we're not having any kind of productive
discussion here.
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.brainendeavor.com

"Charles Line" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
The users of the Mac are not like those for Windows. And it is not "style
over substance", it is much deeper than that.
Cluelessness is a deep issue :-)

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

Brian Moelk writes:
An opportunity lost.
Opportunist. ;)
I seriously doubt that will be the
case.
Whatever it will be, it'll be white or transparent. :)
It's obvious to me that you don't like Apple for some reason
I thought I named the reasons. Extensively.
Let's run through them again:
1) no edge, even though having had AMPLE opportunity;
2) marketing based on hype and snobbery;
3) steadfastly becoming a regular PC (which is good for them);
4) a history of overpriced hard- and software;
5) a history of delivering inferior hardware;
6) business concentrating on hype-driven gadgets, not computers;
7) annoying user interface, aiming for the lowest common denominator;
8) making developers face hordes of disgruntled non-designing marketing
victims.
and aren't willing to
approach it with an open mind. that is fine, we're not having any
kind of productive discussion here.
Apple users tend to be quite religious about it. I am trying to stay
factual here. :)

Brian Moelk writes:
>Apple users tend to be quite religious about it.

As are most passionate communities, the Delphi one included.
Seems to me that that is a sign of a good product. Funny that we seldom
see that kind of feeling concerning Windows... Could it be that loyal
Mac customers who feel "religious" about it know the Mac platform
pretty well, and like it for good reason?
--
Best regards,
Jonathan Neve

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

Doesn't matter. Dvorak says Apple is going Windows.

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1927886,00.asp
I don't agree with Dvorak, but *if* that were true, it would make even more
sense for Apple to buy up the IDE division wouldn't it?
--
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

In article <43f58fd1$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"Kyle A. Miller" <kyle#XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Doesn't matter. Dvorak says Apple is going Windows.
You shouldn't trust anything Dvorak says about Apple, he's almost
always wrong.
--
-David

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

>An opportunity lost.

Opportunist. ;)
IMO it has to be done with integrity otherwise it is purely opportunistic,
but to dismiss an opportunity outright is very closed minded.
>I seriously doubt that will be the
>case.

Whatever it will be, it'll be white or transparent. :)
Could be shiny. ;)
>It's obvious to me that you don't like Apple for some reason

I thought I named the reasons. Extensively.
Not as clearly as you've done below.
Let's run through them again:

1) no edge, even though having had AMPLE opportunity;
Competitive advantage is certainly subjective.
2) marketing based on hype and snobbery;
What other kind of marketing is there? ;) I find it quite inconsistent to
criticize Apple's marketing in lieu of many of MS' questionable business
tactics.
3) steadfastly becoming a regular PC (which is good for them);
Indeed, that should make you happy as it does me. IMO it levels the playing
field and really shows that *software* is more important than hardware.
4) a history of overpriced hard- and software;
5) a history of delivering inferior hardware;
history...history...
6) business concentrating on hype-driven gadgets, not computers;
Like the iPod? I think they have consistently concentrated on personal
computers and they have recently focused pretty hard in that area.
7) annoying user interface, aiming for the lowest common denominator;
Hardly a "fact" as you assert this list to be; very much a personal
preference IMO.
8) making developers face hordes of disgruntled non-designing marketing
victims.
Apple hasn't made me do anything and I am a developer. I guess I don't
understand this point at all. As I have said before, there are many really
good developers working on Macs today.
Apple users tend to be quite religious about it.
As are most passionate communities, the Delphi one included.
I'm trying to stay
factual here. :)
IMO, the problem is that many of your facts are not facts at all. Some are
beliefs and preferences. Certainly those can be discussed, however if one
asserts them as "facts", as you have done, then it seems quite "religious"
to me. In that case, I don't believe any discussion can be very fruitful.
--
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"Dominic Willems" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
4) a history of overpriced hard- and software;
Historically their software was free. It wasn't until system 7.6 that
they started charging for the OS.
Apple users tend to be quite religious about it. I am trying to stay
factual here. :)
and failing... All of these are opinion:
1) no edge, even though having had AMPLE opportunity;
2) marketing based on hype and snobbery;
5) a history of delivering inferior hardware;
6) business concentrating on hype-driven gadgets, not computers;
7) annoying user interface, aiming for the lowest common denominator;
8) making developers face hordes of disgruntled non-designing marketing
victims.
--
-David

Re: The Contest - Windows XP on an Intel Mac, $11,908 so far...

Seems to me that that is a sign of a good product. Funny that we seldom
see that kind of feeling concerning Windows...
Agreed, but it is not as noticeable with a "standard" of any kind IMO. I see
it a lot with certain MS employees though. ;)
Could it be that loyal
Mac customers who feel "religious" about it know the Mac platform
pretty well, and like it for good reason?
Could be. ;)
OTOH, I am not very keen on Linux myself, I much prefer Windows. But I am not
going to bash the penguins simply because of my personal preference, nor
dismiss a good business opportunity on Linux (especially if it makes my
*Windows* product more appealing and adds a significant competitive
advantage).
--
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

David Dean writes:
Historically their software was free. It wasn't until system 7.6
that they started charging for the OS.
Yes, I suppose you write all your correspondence using only your
operating system?
and failing... All of these are opinion:
In your opinion. :)
Hey, I am not bothered by people falling for the hype. If they actually
believe they have some superior piece of hardware, that is their problem.
Just keep it out of my face. And there's been a lot of senseless Apple
promotion going on in here lately.