Re: Simon is impersonating me.

David Farrell-Garcia writes:
I am a guest.
I on my side am a customer since 1995. I regard the treatment my
opinions get here from the moderators being identical to the way
CodeGear treats me, or wants to treat me, as its customer.
Allowing their moderator(s) to cancel my messages and spice the
cancellations with an arrogant grin here and a childish comment there,
- IOW treat me like a participant in the kindergarten over in the
off-topic group, has finally convinced me that having me as a customer
does not mean much to them.
--
Ingvar Nilsen
Free Delphi Tool:

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"Alan Garny" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
No, but because blocking an IP address might only be a temporary
solution: it is easy to spoof an IP address...
It might or might not be easy but hey CG didn't even try.

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

Did I correctly understand you? I understand you as saying that it is
improper for CodeGear and TeamB to try to defend against a denial-of-service
attack. Surely you cannot be justifying that?
. Ed

"Abraham" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

>No, but because blocking an IP address might only be a temporary
>solution: it is easy to spoof an IP address...

It might or might not be easy but hey CG didn't even try.
How can you possibly know what they tried? TeamB is not CodeGear, and the
few CG employees that do post here are talking about other things.

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"Abraham" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Why CG goes to great lengths to cancel 100's of
messages when they can simply block the IP?
The "Rowdy" messages come from many different IPs.
The sender is apparently using "anonomizers" (as I call
them) that allow the sender to block his true IPs address.
--JohnH

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"Ingvar Nilsen" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Allowing their moderator(s) to cancel my messages and spice the
cancellations with an arrogant grin here and a childish comment there,
- IOW treat me like a participant in the kindergarten over in the
off-topic group, has finally convinced me that having me as a customer
does not mean much to them.
That is a silly conclusion. They are not a person, they are a corporation
with separate divisions for marketing, customer relations, developer
relations and legal.

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"Milo" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
It would be all over in one post if modernator (or censor) would be so
nice and explain his action.
LOL. that is a good joke.

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_AT_sbcglobal.net>wrote in news:466ec736$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
The "Rowdy" messages come from many different IPs.
Yes, I see now :)

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"Ingvar Nilsen" wrote
opinions get here from the moderators being identical to the way
CodeGear treats me, or wants to treat me, as its customer.
A mistake, IMHO. Teamb are not part of CodeGear customer service, nor are
they under any obligation to act as CodeGear spokespersons or apologists.
They are simply moderators, and like any group of volunteers, some are
better and more consistent at it than others. Apart from their moderation
duties, I don't think they necessarily have to agree on anything.
cancellations with an arrogant grin here and a childish comment there,
How does one distinguish between a smiley and an arrogant grin? I think a
lot of people take offense here that was never intended.
has finally convinced me that having me as a customer
I'm a Delphi customer more for reasons having to do with Delphi itself than
anything that has ever happened here.
bobD

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

...Sorry, but I think censoring messages for no good reason is much
worse...
Cancelling messages in response to a denial of service attack is not
"censoring messages" and not "for no good reason". It is an attempt to
limit the damage of his ongoing attacks.
. Ed
Andreas Dorn writes

Sorry, but I think censoring messages for no good reason is much
worse. I didn't understand why Simon Kissels original messages
dissappeared. If you don't like him you're free to ignore him, but I
really don't like censorship, it just makes everything get worse...

Ingvar Nilsen schrieb:
off-topic group, has finally convinced me that having me as a customer
does not mean much to them.
This is not an either-or proposition. I am sure Nick&Co would rather have
you as a customer. I am also sure nobody at Codegear would lose sleep
over losing you as one.
Why do people make it so personal? That doesn't make any sense when
dealing with a faceless legal abstraction, represented by a couple
hundert people. it is not like "So you don't want to be my friend anymore..."
Michael

Alan Garny schrieb:
No, but because blocking an IP address might only be a temporary
solution: it is easy to spoof an IP address...
Spoofing in terms of using a proxy, yes. You can not actually hide it, or
the packets won't return.
But generally, at least in Germany, IPs are dynamic, so you'd have to
shut out a whole block, possibly affecting other users as well.
Michael

Re: Simon is impersonating me.

"Michael Elsdörfer" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Alan Garny schrieb:
>No, but because blocking an IP address might only be a temporary
>solution: it is easy to spoof an IP address...

Spoofing in terms of using a proxy, yes. You can not actually hide it, or
the packets won't return.
That's indeed what I had in mind when replying to Abraham.
But generally, at least in Germany, IPs are dynamic, so you'd have to shut
out a whole block, possibly affecting other users as well.
We also have that in the UK (it depends on the Internet provider).
Alan.

12.06.2007 18:11:55, Ingvar Nilsen writes:
David Farrell-Garcia writes:

>I am a guest.

I on my side am a customer since 1995. I regard the treatment my
opinions get here from the moderators being identical to the way
CodeGear treats me, or wants to treat me, as its customer.

Allowing their moderator(s) to cancel my messages and spice the
cancellations with an arrogant grin here and a childish comment there,
Cancellations are normal, unless you want to get something like Usenet,
full of spam, vile language, etc. But what do you mean with "spice the
cancelleations with an arrogant grin here and a childish comment there"?
Anyway, no one really likes to be cancelled. But that does not mean
that a cancellation is done for childish purposes or because the
moderator doesn't like the person being cancelled. I know that many
assume this, because hardly anyone ever sees anything wrong with their
own posts, so they assume it "must be" bias, but that is pure rubbish.
I the light of this, I can imagine that a certain comment is
misinterpreted as arrogant or childish, while it was probably just an
attempt to be funny.
The fact that we use our judgement when interpeting the guidelines
(note that these are not called "guidelines" for nothing) means that we
don't all think exactly alike, but generally, we do agree on what
should be cancelled and what shouldn't, and if we are not sure, we
discuss such items internally.
If TeamB or CodeGear had the impression that one of us abused the
cancel powers for personal purposes, that would immediately be
discussed, and the person doing that would be taken to task. We have
our own private newsgroups, where we discuss a lot of issues, and
cancellations (i.e. if someone is overdoing it, or if we - or some of
us - find a cancellation was not justified) are an important part of
that.
So the impression that there are TeamB member running loose and
cancelling to their heart's desire is pure nonsense. The others would
immediately step in if they found so.
IOW, we are our own strictest critics. The fact that this is all done
in private makes it not so obvious for you, newsgroup users, but be
assured that we are very critical of ourselves and our team mates.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de
"Quoting Coulter is kind of like quoting Joe McCarthy; no doubt

12.06.2007 18:31:34, Bob Dawson writes:
They are simply moderators, and like any group of
volunteers, some are better and more consistent at it than others.
Apart from their moderation duties, I don't think they necessarily
have to agree on anything.
If we don't agree, especially about our respective moderation styles,
we will discuss it internally.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized." -- Sun Tzu