TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

2007-09-05 12:36:35 AM
delphi270
I wanted to ask about this for some time now, and seeing Peter Morris's
reply to "D2007 help #2337215" post, in which he mentions wiki, here's
my idea/suggestion/poll.
Really - why not have a CodeGear and community joint project for
creating the Delphi 2007 help system. Everyone on this group always says
it's great that VCL comes with source code. Why shouldn't the help be as
open?.
I'm sure there's a lot of people that'd be willing to contribute to the
wiki help. CodeGear is maybe too small now and/or has too many things to
do, repair, catch up to provide us with a help system of such high
quality to satisfy all of our needs.
If CodeGear provides the core of the system (Delphi 7 help is what most
of you've been talking about), we can then add documentation for new
components and technologies, examples, incorporate jedi help into it,
add tutorials, links to torry.net and other sites, and before you know
it, you've got a great big collection of help and components that
provides great value to the community. Something that looks like
CodeProject meets MSDN.
What do you think?

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:36:35 +0200, Ivan Hladni <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:

What do you think?
Something is planned and hopefuly being worked on.

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

"Ivan Hladni" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I wanted to ask about this for some time now, and seeing Peter Morris's
reply to "D2007 help #2337215" post, in which he mentions wiki, here's my
idea/suggestion/poll.
[...]
What do you think?
delphi.wikia.com
It's here. it is now. it is completely controlled by the community,
rather than some corporate entity with business goals.
The CodeGear Web site will no doubt eventually host the
official Delphi help, but the existing Delphi Wiki has only
ever been intended as a suppliment to the official documentation.
It's important to point out that it is the Delphi community that
gets to choose what goes into the Delphi Wiki. It is open to
everyone.
Cheers
Eddie

Eddie Lotter writes:
It's important to point out that it is the Delphi community that
gets to choose what goes into the Delphi Wiki. It is open to
everyone.
And we are quite delighted with it. Please, everyone contribute.
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi Product Manager - CodeGear

Ivan Hladni writes:
If CodeGear provides the core of the system (Delphi 7 help is what
most of you've been talking about), we can then add documentation for
new components and technologies, examples, incorporate jedi help into
it, add tutorials, links to torry.net and other sites, and before you
know it, you've got a great big collection of help and components
that provides great value to the community. Something that looks like
CodeProject meets MSDN.
Third parties can already merge into the official help files.
--
TJSDialog - TaskDialog for other operating systems:
www.jed-software.com/jsd.htm

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

cool, somehow missed delphi.wikia.cm :(
my bad ;)

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

And we are quite delighted with it. Please, everyone contribute.
I'd only want to contribute to something that would eventually improve the
quality of the product rather than being just another website where you can
find information. If I read the help and think "that's not very clear" or
"that example is rubbish" then it would be nice if I could submit comments
on it and either
A: Just indicate I don't like it so that it brings attention to it
B: Submit a suggestion for how part of the text could be reworded
C: Submit a better example
I think the key is to allow people to read your modification suggestions and
be able to add their vote to it (1 person can vote on a comment only once,
but on as many as they like).
If it then went into the official docs it would feel worthwhile. Nobody
would have to "find" what I had done on the web, they would have it in their
help system. I had never heard of this other website, yet I have opened the
provided help file many times.

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

from the responses, one could conclude Delphi developers would
hate having MSDN-like documentation on CodeGear's site?
there's no value in something like that? and as peter morris
mentions over and over, one can pack that doc system (online MSDN)
into docs shipped with the product
although wikia has some info, I would opt for a more professional
type of documentation more closely linked to codegear
I know I frequently search for stuff in Google as well as MSDN
when developing with something I haven't used before, and if
you start getting a lot of useful results from "CodeGear Developer
Network" (not blog contents, though that is not that bad either),
you'd also get more visibility, and that is only good for Delphi
thanks for your time guys (and girls)

Ivan Hladni writes:
from the responses, one could conclude Delphi developers would
hate having MSDN-like documentation on CodeGear's site?
Anything's possible, I suppose, but I don't think you could reach that
conclusion from the posts here /rationally./
although wikia has some info, I would opt for a more professional
type of documentation more closely linked to codegear
You might want to search the archives as CodeGear folks have mentioned
plans for online use contibutions in some kind of Wiki-like manner in
the past; it appears such projects are ongoing.
Want to help make Delphi and InterBase better? Use QC!
qc.borland.com -- Vote for important issues

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

"Ivan Hladni" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
cool, somehow missed delphi.wikia.cm :(
my bad ;)
Not a problem. It seems many people are unaware of it, unfortunately.
By the way, I couldn't find a bio about you online or a blog. Would you mind
filling in a few details
on your author page?
delphi.wikia.com/wiki/Ivan_Hladni
I invite all book authors to do the same.
Cheers
Eddie

Re:TDelphiHelp = class(ICodeGear, ICommunity, ISomeWikiEngine)

"Ivan Hladni" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
from the responses, one could conclude Delphi developers would
hate having MSDN-like documentation on CodeGear's site?
[...]
I don't think that is the case. I suspect the usual suspects will make
valuable contributions to whatever
CodeGear impliments on their Web site.
However, and I intend to sound like a broken record here, the Delphi
community will not have
any control over the content on the CodeGear site. The Delphi Wiki, on the
other hand, is
entirely controlled by the Delphi community.
A Wiki really is only as good as the users make it.
Cheers
Eddie