Re: Blackfish Questions

2007-09-11 04:48:18 AM
delphi107
Arthur Hoornweg writes:
Brion L. Webster writes:

>Microsoft Access is not free. But it is free to deploy the .mdb files,
>providing you have the right licensed application.

That's a myth. I can create MDB files from scratch in my Delphi
applications. ADO etc is bundled with Windows.
The DAO redistributables, JET redistributables, etc. were not freely
redistributable. I will have to confess I don't know what the exact license
rights are now with a "clean" Windows box on creating .mdb files from
scratch. In the Windows 9x days, it wasn't possible without downloads
from MS or additional files included in your install that you needed a
license for.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re: Blackfish Questions

Brion L. Webster writes:
If the CD's are already off to the presses, it may be too late in the
game.
Not really; license agreements have been changed post-pressing in the
past (remember when Borland changed a license to remove an ill-advised
audit requirement?).
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re: Blackfish Questions

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Brion L. Webster writes:

>If the CD's are already off to the presses, it may be too late in the
>game.

Not really; license agreements have been changed post-pressing in the
past (remember when Borland changed a license to remove an ill-advised
audit requirement?).
Yes, I do. But... *If* you're the type to read a license (and I hope
more and more of us are, with all the IP wars going on in the news), who's
going to actually check a web site to see if a newer license has been
issued, *before* deciding to spend time investigating whether or not this
new database could work?
We've already been told an insignificant portion of the customer base
visits the newsgroups, slightly more visit dn.codegear.com. If we're
trying to make conditions as favorable for new product adoption as
possible, I worry. I hoped for so much more.
Well, I have tried to say before, all that really remains at this point is
run time, to see how much smarter than I am CodeGear is. And if it tanks,
we'll never really know what particular combination of reasons killed it.
I hope to be proven wrong. A bitter core of pessimism, with room for
hope? No reason to dwell.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'
- Mercedes Lackey

Re: Blackfish Questions

I suppose the 0.01% of people who (1) read EULAs in their entirety and
(2) don't read anything else are going to be really disappointed.
I, though, don't subscribe to the notion that if something isn't done
perfectly in release 1 then one needn't bother doing anything.
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx