CPU Speed

How would I go about calculating the clock speed in Mhz of a CPU?
I don't want to call the speed from CMOS/BIOS but calculate it real time.

I used to have a program that did this, but I lost it years ago.

Thanks in advance :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Chris Milne(Beta Hydri)

ICQ# 4025066
betahy...@cableinet.co.uk
http://welcome.to/infinity

Re:CPU Speed

Chris Milne wrote:

> How would I go about calculating the clock speed in Mhz of a CPU?
> I don't want to call the speed from CMOS/BIOS but calculate it real time.

> I used to have a program that did this, but I lost it years ago.

Kinda like the BogoMIPS 'feature' in Linux?  I guess, AFAIK, you'd get a
sereis of difficult, complex calculation and time how fast it takes to
calc them.

--
-LX "Not across, downward!"
*remove the SMEAT reply*

Re:CPU Speed

Legacy 'Xunker' wrote:

> Chris Milne wrote:

> > How would I go about calculating the clock speed in Mhz of a CPU?
> > I don't want to call the speed from CMOS/BIOS but calculate it real time.

> > I used to have a program that did this, but I lost it years ago.

> Kinda like the BogoMIPS 'feature' in Linux?  I guess, AFAIK, you'd get a
> sereis of difficult, complex calculation and time how fast it takes to
> calc them.

Careful with that; BogoMIPS is _not_ a performance measure by any
means.  My P5-mmx @ 166MHz gives me 333.31 BogoMIPS, while a plain
P5 @ 166MHz gives 66.4 BogoMIPS.  Try the following file; it should
have all that you need:

http://www.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/cpuspeed.zip

(pascal source, assembly source, and executable included in .zip)

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One.  We've handled the Borg.  We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam!  Visit http://www.cauce.org