"operation not applicable" Help: showstopper

To all

I have a situation which when boiled down to it's essential elements is
this:

A Tquery (r/o) feeds a grid.  A  tTable, master/detailed into that same
query, feeds the edit boxes
below the grid.  They are both connected to a Tdatabase in my
datamodule.  This concept has been used regularly by my company and has
been working (apparently) fine.

However, I've found that any significant scrolling of the grid pops the
'operation not applicable' error.  Exhaustive scans of the news groups
show this error is more common than I'd realized.  It appears to be a
result of using mulitple components to view the same table in a
database.  The suggestion in Delphi help is to use an additional session
component which has given me all kinds of errors such as 'data base not
found'

Am I hosed?  Can I not do the grid / edit box master detail technique?
How do I make this bug go away?

Environment
'98 client D5.1  to NT sp5 SQL 7
Note that I use Infopower 2000.10 whose tech sup claim this is an
inherited problem from Delphi

My project is scheduled for release and is stalled as a result.

thanks in advance

michael peirce
blue mountain software

Re:"operation not applicable" Help: showstopper

Hi Micheal,
  I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to understand the setup. Is
the TTable the detail or the master? Either way, TTables are a big
NO-NO.

   If you are using a second session, you will need a second TDatabase
aswell.

Regards,
Jason.

No spam, unless requested. Thanks.

Re:"operation not applicable" Help: showstopper

Blame it to IP2000, or try same form changing twwdbgrid with an Standard one
(if this work, try to figure out how obtain IP funcionality with others
grids in the market)

Regards

Edy

Michael Peirce <mpei...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> To all

> I have a situation which when boiled down to it's essential elements is
> this:

> A Tquery (r/o) feeds a grid.  A  tTable, master/detailed into that same
> query, feeds the edit boxes
> below the grid.  They are both connected to a Tdatabase in my
> datamodule.  This concept has been used regularly by my company and has
> been working (apparently) fine.

> However, I've found that any significant scrolling of the grid pops the
> 'operation not applicable' error.  Exhaustive scans of the news groups
> show this error is more common than I'd realized.  It appears to be a
> result of using mulitple components to view the same table in a
> database.  The suggestion in Delphi help is to use an additional session
> component which has given me all kinds of errors such as 'data base not
> found'

> Am I hosed?  Can I not do the grid / edit box master detail technique?
> How do I make this bug go away?

> Environment
> '98 client D5.1  to NT sp5 SQL 7
> Note that I use Infopower 2000.10 whose tech sup claim this is an
> inherited problem from Delphi

> My project is scheduled for release and is stalled as a result.

> thanks in advance

> michael peirce
> blue mountain software

Other Threads