Installs using either local database or networked database

I've produced a product which is used in two different ways:
On user's laptop or home computer
OR on user's PC in the office.
Each user has his own copy of the database.

I want to install the database either on the user's personal hard disk drive
for the remote (laptop or home) installs OR on the user's 'home' directory
on the NT file server for office-based PCs.

I'm running Delphi 3 and using the bundled InstallShield Express Delphi
edtition.

Can this be done?  I guess I could have two install modules, one for local
and one for remote but this seems a bit messy.

Assuming this can be solved, how do I then get the application to go to the
correct directory when opening the files?

Also, once the system's installed, I obviously don't want to overwrite the
datafiles with a subsequent install of a patched/improved version.  Can this
be done?

Thanks in advance

Re:Installs using either local database or networked database

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:16:19 +1100, "Andrew Ferguson" <af...@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Can this be done?  I guess I could have two install modules, one for local
>and one for remote but this seems a bit messy.

No, not really, since your user cannot choose where he wants the databases
installed.

>Also, once the system's installed, I obviously don't want to overwrite the
>datafiles with a subsequent install of a patched/improved version.  Can this
>be done?

Yes, this can be done, by putting the databases in their own group, and
setting the overwrite property to NEVER OVERWRITE.

Stefan
InstallShield Software Corp.

Other Threads