Can database applications be distributed without BDE

Hello

I got the new Delphi 3.0 which is a fantastic development tool, but is it
possible to make a small application using a MS Access database, and
distribute it to other PC's without BDE (Borland Database Engine)
installed?

If yes, how is this done?

The advertising says: "No runtime redistributables required"

Regards
Ove T. Nyland

Re:Can database applications be distributed without BDE

In article <01bca3d2$103a3100$9980bf10@tdo-005>,
   "Ove Nyland" <ove.nyl...@nwo.mts.dec.com> wrote:

>I got the new Delphi 3.0 which is a fantastic development tool, but is it
>possible to make a small application using a MS Access database, and
>distribute it to other PC's without BDE (Borland Database Engine)
>installed?

>If yes, how is this done?

Only if you write your own database access procedures, but I don't think you
will be happy to do it.

>The advertising says: "No runtime redistributables required"

It means you can distribute BDE free of charge.

Serguei Poliakov

Re:Can database applications be distributed without BDE

|Ove Nyland wrote:

|> Hello
|>
|> I got the new Delphi 3.0 which is a fantastic development tool, but
|is it
|> possible to make a small application using a MS Access database, and
|> distribute it to other PC's without BDE (Borland Database Engine)
|> installed?
|>
|> If yes, how is this done?
|>
|> The advertising says: "No runtime redistributables required"
|>
|> Regards
|> Ove T. Nyland

The only other way is to buy a third party database engine.  How is your
database going to work without software?

Mel Weaver <MWea...@fwb.gulf.net> wrote:
>|Ove Nyland wrote:
>|>
>|> Hello
>|>
>|> I got the new Delphi 3.0 which is a fantastic development tool, but
>|is it
>|> possible to make a small application using a MS Access database, and
>|> distribute it to other PC's without BDE (Borland Database Engine)
>|> installed?
>|>
>|> If yes, how is this done?
>|>
>|> The advertising says: "No runtime redistributables required"

Strictly speaking, it's true : the BDE is not a runtime for your app,
but a high-level driver for DB access.

But one has to admit this is a bit overstretched.

-------------------------
   Frederic G. MARAND
  Agorus SA / OSI SARL
  mailto: f...@soon.com
 http://www.chez.com/osi

Re:Can database applications be distributed without BDE

"Ove Nyland" <ove.nyl...@nwo.mts.dec.com> wrote:
>I got the new Delphi 3.0 which is a fantastic development tool, but is it
>possible to make a small application using a MS Access database, and
>distribute it to other PC's without BDE (Borland Database Engine)
>installed?

>If yes, how is this done?

Use a different database interface.  ODBCExpress, for example,
compiles directly into your application, so no BDE - but you still
need to distribute the ODBC and Jet engines.  Other products will talk
directly to Jet, so you can skip the ODBC DLLs - but you can't get
around having to distribute the Jet engine.

>The advertising says: "No runtime redistributables required"

That is correct.  Delphi does not require any runtime files
whatsoever.  Database engines, however, are another matter entirely.

Other Threads