Borland's next 'marathon': Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?

Mr. Zack Urlocker of Borland wrote in Delphi Informant about the first
'marathon'. He said:

        "After we had finished Delphi 1, Gary Whizin, the Director of
Delphi Development, used to joke that it was like running a 10K race,
then discovering you had entered a marathon. It was certainly no sprint
to the finish, but rather, a lot of hard slogging. We set our goal and
the worked to achieve the milestones that would lead us to the goal.
We've found it to be a pretty good way to do things."
        "...we paced ourselves, slogged through the hard parts, and yes,
finished on time. I've shipped quite a few products in my career, but
Delphi 1 stands alone. It's the product I'm most proud of."

It was indeed an excellent race. With no hassle, with no potential
challenger. He went further stating how they had a head start with
the second race, to ship Delphi 2 within one year. What happened next
is now good history.

But there's one thing that caught my attention. It was the
editor's note, and I quote:

    "He's ", (referring to Zack), "currently working on the next Delphi
'marathon'"!

What the heck is this next 'marathon'? Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?
Should they go on and maintain their lead? Should they go back on the
race track and wait for those slow challengers and fellow
Delphians? or both?

Whatever it is, I think the clamor now is for Borland to go back awhile
and have Delphi 1 restructured to have the full excellent features of
Delphi 2. Isn't it worthwhile for Delphi 1 to have visual form inheritance,
TQuery making use of dBase index files, data modules, TTable filter
property, enhanced DbGrid, Internet components, multiple inheritance,
built-in QuickReport, etc, etc..

Borland laid the bait, we got hooked. Now, it's time they should
uplift us more high by upgrading Delphi 1.

(***************
  Dante Galapon
****************)

Re:Borland's next 'marathon': Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?

I agree!  I think Delphi is fantastic, and I would love to move to
version 2 but the simple fact is that my customers arent ready yet so
I still need to develop with version 1 for the next year or two.  I
would sure appriciate a version 1.5 at this point.

dg <dan...@arcos.org> wrote:
>Mr. Zack Urlocker of Borland wrote in Delphi Informant about the first
>'marathon'. He said:
>    "After we had finished Delphi 1, Gary Whizin, the Director of
>Delphi Development, used to joke that it was like running a 10K race,
>then discovering you had entered a marathon. It was certainly no sprint
>to the finish, but rather, a lot of hard slogging. We set our goal and
>the worked to achieve the milestones that would lead us to the goal.
>We've found it to be a pretty good way to do things."
>    "...we paced ourselves, slogged through the hard parts, and yes,
>finished on time. I've shipped quite a few products in my career, but
>Delphi 1 stands alone. It's the product I'm most proud of."
>It was indeed an excellent race. With no hassle, with no potential
>challenger. He went further stating how they had a head start with
>the second race, to ship Delphi 2 within one year. What happened next
>is now good history.
>But there's one thing that caught my attention. It was the
>editor's note, and I quote:
>    "He's ", (referring to Zack), "currently working on the next Delphi
>'marathon'"!
>What the heck is this next 'marathon'? Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?
>Should they go on and maintain their lead? Should they go back on the
>race track and wait for those slow challengers and fellow
>Delphians? or both?
>Whatever it is, I think the clamor now is for Borland to go back awhile
>and have Delphi 1 restructured to have the full excellent features of
>Delphi 2. Isn't it worthwhile for Delphi 1 to have visual form inheritance,
>TQuery making use of dBase index files, data modules, TTable filter
>property, enhanced DbGrid, Internet components, multiple inheritance,
>built-in QuickReport, etc, etc..
>Borland laid the bait, we got hooked. Now, it's time they should
>uplift us more high by upgrading Delphi 1.
>(***************
>  Dante Galapon
>****************)

Re:Borland's next 'marathon': Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?

>Whatever it is, I think the clamor now is for Borland to go back awhile
>and have Delphi 1 restructured to have the full excellent features of
>Delphi 2. Isn't it worthwhile for Delphi 1 to have visual form inheritance,
>TQuery making use of dBase index files, data modules, TTable filter
>property, enhanced DbGrid, Internet components, multiple inheritance,
>built-in QuickReport, etc, etc..

>Borland laid the bait, we got hooked. Now, it's time they should
>uplift us more high by upgrading Delphi 1.

Your absolutely right. And now the argument, that Borland does not have
unlimited resources for Delphi-development is not longer valid: there
is not so much to do on D2.

But there are too many people, who must stay with D1 because
of Windows 3.11. So Borland should support also the more conservative
software users.

Ulrich Kamp

Ulrich Kamp
Haus der Geschichte
Adenauerallee 250
53113 Bonn
Tel. 0228 - 9165 - 130
FAX 0228 - 9165 - 302
mailto: k...@hdg.de

In article <52r4n2$efg_...@croco.hdg.de>, k...@hdg.de (Ulrich Kamp) wrote:
>>Whatever it is, I think the clamor now is for Borland to go back awhile
>>and have Delphi 1 restructured to have the full excellent features of
>>Delphi 2. Isn't it worthwhile for Delphi 1 to have visual form inheritance,
>>TQuery making use of dBase index files, data modules, TTable filter
>>property, enhanced DbGrid, Internet components, multiple inheritance,
>>built-in QuickReport, etc, etc..

>>Borland laid the bait, we got hooked. Now, it's time they should
>>uplift us more high by upgrading Delphi 1.

>Your absolutely right. And now the argument, that Borland does not have
>unlimited resources for Delphi-development is not longer valid: there
>is not so much to do on D2.

A year ago I would have said the same thing that you're saying: "there is not
so much to do on *D1*". Borland proved me wrong. D2 have as we've all
discovered a lot of new features. Of course they can do the same thing again,
and according to the rumour mill, they will...

>But there are too many people, who must stay with D1 because
>of Windows 3.11. So Borland should support also the more conservative
>software users.

D1 will not suddenly stop working. It's still there even when Borland
releases D3, D4 and D5...

And why put much effort into it? The underlying API sure as h--- ain't
changing! (as opposed to all the new APIs introduced on W95 & NT)

In fact, every time they expand the 16 bit product, they'll hit some ceiling.
D1 is already very resource hungry and cripples many developers who actually
run the development environment on the same platform they test on (Win 3.1x)!

Sure, they will probably release 1.5, all I'm saying is that the limits
imposed on Borland in the 16 bit world will not make it practical to
implement everything we'll see in the newer 2.0 (and soon 3.0) products.

--
=\                       homepage @ http://www.qsd.no/staff/rune
 *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info @ http://home.sn.no/home/mobergru/

Re:Borland's next 'marathon': Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?

>But there are too many people, who must stay with D1 because
> of Windows 3.11.

I am one of those developers who needs to create W3.x and W95 versions
of my apps.  Right now I have to stick with the D1 LCD.

>  Isn't it worthwhile for Delphi 1 to have visual form inheritance,...

For me that is the key thing missing in D1.

Personally, I will eventually be interested in Latte.  I doubt that I
will ever be interested in a web page creator from Borland.

Bill Hunt

Re:Borland's next 'marathon': Delphi 3? or Delphi 1.5?

Rune Moberg <mober...@oslonett.no> wrote in article
<LGXVy0JfFewI08...@oslonett.no>...

> [snip]

> D1 will not suddenly stop working. It's still there even when Borland
> releases D3, D4 and D5...

> [snip]

> Sure, they will probably release 1.5, all I'm saying is that the limits
> imposed on Borland in the 16 bit world will not make it practical to
> implement everything we'll see in the newer 2.0 (and soon 3.0) products.

I'll agree with all of the above and add a little observation of my own
which
serves to illustrate your final point quite nicely (IMHO)...

How would D1 implement a D2 style 'String' type?  i.e. up to 4GB in size?!?

What *would* be nice is if D1 could have a String type which implemented
the
reference count idea, and perhaps had a maximum length of (say) 64K.

Similarly TThread could *not* be provided using system thread objects (they
simply don't exist in 16-bit Windows), but could they provide an internal
scheduler to simulate/emulate a threaded environment.  This may be too much
work given the future of a 16-bit Delphi (bound to be limited in the long
run), but
someone did observe that such a feature was implemented in previous Pascal
offerings from Borland, so the foundations for such a feature may already
be laid.
This would give Delphi a clear advantage over *any* 16-bit offering from
*any* other
tools vendor!

Just my 0.02.

Jolyon.