Oracle via BDE

I'm having problems connecting to Oracle via the BDE!

Here are the particulars:

Personl Oracle, version 8
Delphi 5, Enterprise
Windows '98

This is *not* client/server, just trying to get a simple
app up and running that connects to Oracle8 via the BDE.

I have used the bdeadmin.exe to specify the following:

DLL32 = SQLORA8.DLL
VENDOR INIT = OCI.DLL
NET PROTOCOL = TNS

I am at a loss when it comes to SERVER NAME. Based on various
sources, I have tried "beq-local", which is one of the demo db's that
comes with Oracle, and I have also tried "2:". I have also properly set
the USER NAME and PASSWORD.

I have rec'd two types of errors upon attempting to connect from the
Alias Manager in the BDE: a "Vendor Initialization" error, an
"IDAPI service" error depending on how I set up the configuration.

Could someone either point out my surely-boneheaded error, or
at least provide me with a pointer to some instructions written in
readable English(like a tutorial, maybe)?

Thanks,

Dave Fobare

Re:Oracle via BDE

"Dave Fobare" <dandbfob...@home.com> wrote in message

> I'm having problems connecting to Oracle via the BDE!

> Here are the particulars:

> Personl Oracle, version 8
> Delphi 5, Enterprise
> Windows '98

> This is *not* client/server, just trying to get a simple
> app up and running that connects to Oracle8 via the BDE.

You are wrong here, Personal Oracle + Delphi application is a real
client/server application. The only difference is that both (client and
server) works on the same mashine.

> I have used the bdeadmin.exe to specify the following:

> DLL32 = SQLORA8.DLL
> VENDOR INIT = OCI.DLL
> NET PROTOCOL = TNS

> I am at a loss when it comes to SERVER NAME. Based on various
> sources, I have tried "beq-local", which is one of the demo db's that
> comes with Oracle, and I have also tried "2:". I have also properly set
> the USER NAME and PASSWORD.

You'd specify the same SERVER NAME as You're using in 'Connect string'
SQL*Plus parameter (usually empty value for Personal Oracle). Also check if
Your database is started and if Your SQL*Plus is able to connect.
Additionally check if Your PATH environment variable contains path to
<ORACLE_HOME>/bin directory.

Hope that helps.

--
Is There A God Or Any Kind Of Justice Under The Sky... (Queen'91)

Igor V. Podolsky (igor...@i.am)

Other Threads