BDE Install with Application Alias using InstallShield

Hi All!

I need to produce a setup file that installs my delphi application along
with the BDE.  I am using Delphi 6, and the InstallShield version that came
on the Delpi CD.  I have no problems getting it to install the BDE and my
application, but I would like it to also automatically add the alias
associated with my application.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this
that can enlighten me?

            Thanks,

--
Sean D. McCluskey
Managed Care Software

Re:BDE Install with Application Alias using InstallShield

Sean,

Does the ISX version that came with Delphi support custom actions?  If
it does, then I have written a DLL that sets Alias during setup.  It
works on the licensed ISX 3.0 version.  I can send it to you or you can
get it at the InstallShield Knowledge Base web site Document ID:  Q105491.

Let me know If you want me to send it to you.

Rodney

Sean D. McCluskey wrote:
>Hi All!

>I need to produce a setup file that installs my delphi application along
>with the BDE.  I am using Delphi 6, and the InstallShield version that came
>on the Delpi CD.  I have no problems getting it to install the BDE and my
>application, but I would like it to also automatically add the alias
>associated with my application.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this
>that can enlighten me?

>            Thanks,

>--
>Sean D. McCluskey
>Managed Care Software

Re:BDE Install with Application Alias using InstallShield

Uh?.. I don't know.  How can I find out?  Am I the only one who has asked
this same question about creating aliases?  How do other developers that use
the BDE delpoy their applications with an alias?  (don't tell me that they
have someone manually add the BDE alias to every client machine).  Let me
know...

        -Sean

Sean D. McCluskey <SDMcClus...@mcoa.com> wrote in message

> Uh?.. I don't know.  How can I find out?  Am I the only one who has
asked
> this same question about creating aliases?  How do other developers
that use
> the BDE delpoy their applications with an alias?  (don't tell me
that they
> have someone manually add the BDE alias to every client machine).
Let me
> know...

>         -Sean

Hi Sean,

I question the safety in relying upon aliases which are created at
install time. The reason is that a User can mess around with them or
even delete them. Also, Help Desks have been known to tell users to
delete the whole BDE folder and then reinstall "their" BDE from their
own CD, which of course does not have your aliases.

So what to do........

You should set your aliases, netdir, local share and every other
setting you need (that a User may meddle with) at *runtime*. Since I
started doing this many years ago the amount of problems I have had
with the BDE settings has dropped to now being only once every blue
moon.

I hope this helps
Leslie.

Re:BDE Install with Application Alias using InstallShield

Sounds like good advice!  I will.

    Thanks for your help.

--
Sean D. McCluskey
Managed Care Software

"Leslie Milburn" <CD...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> Sean D. McCluskey <SDMcClus...@mcoa.com> wrote in message
> > Uh?.. I don't know.  How can I find out?  Am I the only one who has
> asked
> > this same question about creating aliases?  How do other developers
> that use
> > the BDE delpoy their applications with an alias?  (don't tell me
> that they
> > have someone manually add the BDE alias to every client machine).
> Let me
> > know...

> >         -Sean

> Hi Sean,

> I question the safety in relying upon aliases which are created at
> install time. The reason is that a User can mess around with them or
> even delete them. Also, Help Desks have been known to tell users to
> delete the whole BDE folder and then reinstall "their" BDE from their
> own CD, which of course does not have your aliases.

> So what to do........

> You should set your aliases, netdir, local share and every other
> setting you need (that a User may meddle with) at *runtime*. Since I
> started doing this many years ago the amount of problems I have had
> with the BDE settings has dropped to now being only once every blue
> moon.

> I hope this helps
> Leslie.

Re:BDE Install with Application Alias using InstallShield

  Hi

  Some time ago I wrote a DLL that can (a) register an Alias if it does not
exist and (b) delete and reregister an existing Alias.  It can also register
multiple aliases (With their details stored in a file).

  Let me know if you are interested...  :o)

--
Werner A Cloete
Old Mutual, South Africa
"Sean D. McCluskey" <SDMcClus...@mcoa.com> wrote in message
: Hi All!
:
: I need to produce a setup file that installs my delphi application along
: with the BDE.  I am using Delphi 6, and the InstallShield version that
came
: on the Delpi CD.  I have no problems getting it to install the BDE and my
: application, but I would like it to also automatically add the alias
: associated with my application.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this
: that can enlighten me?
:
:             Thanks,
:
: --
: Sean D. McCluskey
: Managed Care Software
:
:

Re:BDE Install with Application Alias using InstallShield

  Sean,

I that the D6 version ISX does not support the custom actions.  Under
ISX 3.0, it is one of the steps in building a setup.

As to do others have this problem, YES!  InstallShield has fixed the
problem in their latest update to ISX 3.5, but prior to that there were
many posts on their site about this problem.

Rodney

Sean D. McCluskey wrote:
>Uh?.. I don't know.  How can I find out?  Am I the only one who has asked
>this same question about creating aliases?  How do other developers that use
>the BDE delpoy their applications with an alias?  (don't tell me that they
>have someone manually add the BDE alias to every client machine).  Let me
>know...

>        -Sean

>"RL Brehm" <RLBr...@RLBrehm.com> wrote in message

>>Sean,

>>Does the ISX version that came with Delphi support custom actions?  If
>>it does, then I have written a DLL that sets Alias during setup.  It
>>works on the licensed ISX 3.0 version.  I can send it to you or you can
>>get it at the InstallShield Knowledge Base web site Document ID:  Q105491.

>>Let me know If you want me to send it to you.

>>Rodney

>>Sean D. McCluskey wrote:

>>>Hi All!

>>>I need to produce a setup file that installs my delphi application along
>>>with the BDE.  I am using Delphi 6, and the InstallShield version that

>came

>>>on the Delpi CD.  I have no problems getting it to install the BDE and my
>>>application, but I would like it to also automatically add the alias
>>>associated with my application.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this
>>>that can enlighten me?

>>>           Thanks,

>>>--
>>>Sean D. McCluskey