Novell file server

Are there any special precautions to be taken when connecting a Delphi app.
(on WinNT WS) to paradox files placed on a Novell file server ?
I know nothing about Novell server, do I need that to make the connection ?

Arre there any reasons for recommending by customer to prefere WinNT-WS for
Win95/Win98/Win2000 ?

Bruno Pedersen

Re:Novell file server

Hi,

Bruno Pedersen schreef:

> Are there any special precautions to be taken when connecting a Delphi app.
> (on WinNT WS) to paradox files placed on a Novell file server ?
> I know nothing about Novell server, do I need that to make the connection ?

Well, you need to connect to the Novell server by using the "client for netware

networks" or use the client32 from novell. You need both clients to connect to
Netware and NT. Then you need an for every user which has to login to
the Novell server and account (username and password).
It's also possible to create 1 user with multiple connections...lets say 50,
in that case this user account can login 50 times using this username.

Then you need to grant rights to the the directory which contains the paradox
database. Within the NT world you got all rights to the system, for Novell
instead....you got nothing. In Novell you need to grant rights to a volume or
directory or files. I don't know which version of Novell you got....but when
it version 4.x and there are lots of users, you can install NDS for NT on
the NT server. In this way users and password will be synchronized between
NT and Novell.

It's also possible you need to create  a drive mapping on the NT server, needed

to connect to the Novell server. Also create a system login script on the
Novell
server where you create a mapping to the paradox directory.
Standard Novell will create some drive mappings so it's possible to login
directly
into Novell.

Example:
There's a novell server called BRUNO, within the server there's a harddisk
which contains 2 volumes, volume SYS and VOL1 (both default defined by Novell).

Volume SYS contains Novell Netware files, VOL1 you can use for you data.
Don't install application files or data into the SYS volume.
On VOL1 you create a directory structure....lets say something like:
- USERS (can contain user home directories)
- APPS (to install applications, you can create for every appl. a seperate
directory
               (which looks likes APPS\BDE   (you install the BDE into this
directory)

- DATA (same as APPS, for every application data a seperate directory

Within the Novell system login script you can create a mappings like:
 Map root X:=BRUNO\VOL1\APPS:
 Map root Y:=BRUNO\VOL1\DATA:

Drive Y is assigned to server BRUNO, VOL1 and directory DATA or.
Now it's easy to access the database or application by using:
Y:\BDE\BDEADMIN.EXE
Why not create a mapping directly to  Map root X:=BRUNO\VOL1\APPS\BDE ?
Well.....in that case you need a mapping for every appliction and there are
only
26 lettres in the alphabeth.

> Arre there any reasons for recommending by customer to prefere WinNT-WS for
> Win95/Win98/Win2000 ?

Everybody has his own reason for this. When you using lots of NT applications
then
you need NT workstations. In the other case.....W95 will do the job for you and
it's
perfect for both worlds NT and Novell. NT is in some case more stable then W95
or W98, it depends on what you're using. NT workstations are more expensive
then W95...it uses more resouces and license cost more the W95/W98.
When you got a  NT network with 100 users and only 1 administrator....you may
need NT workstations...in that case network management is easy !!!.

Greetings Peter

Re:Novell file server

Peter

You wrote:

"I don't know which version of Novell you got....but when
it version 4.x and there are lots of users, you can install NDS for NT on
the NT server."

Did'nt you mean ..NDS for NT on the Novell server ?, what stands "NDS" for

Now I know what to ask the Novell-people to do.

Thank you

Bruno

Re:Novell file server

    Novell and NT are both easy to use. Novell has a tradition of extreme
stability. User logins and user rights should be taken care of by the system
administrator.

    THe only issue with Novell is file locks. If your app goes over 500
simultaneous file locks, you would need to modify the default login script
 to allocate more than the default ). NT dynamically handles file locks.

    NT and Win9x have some minor record locking issues. You should look at
the BDE section of the Borland website for TI documents on this subject.

    If you configure Paradox correctly using the BDE Administrator,
everything will run right 97% of the time. 3% of the time you will have
minor support issues.

    Paradox needs its local share set properly ( to avoid caching records in
memory ). You also need to set your Alias and private directories. See
Borland's website for TI's on setting up Paradox.

    We switched from Paradox to DBISAM ( www.elevatesoft.com ) and reduced
our NT and Novell support phone calls to virtually none.
Paradox is a decent product, but the BDE is too awkward for mass
distribution and support.

Neil Huhta
Profit Monster Data Systems L.L.C.

Re:Novell file server

Hi Bruno

Peter  wrote:"I don't know which version of Novell you got....but when

it version 4.x and there are lots of users, you can install NDS for NT
on
the NT server."
 Did'nt you mean ..NDS for NT on the Novell server ?, what stands "NDS"
forNow I know what to ask the Novell-people to do

First lets explain NDS, NDS stands for Novell Directory Services,
which is a very fast flat 'database system' with a directory look....
directory...subdirectoy...etc.
Each entry into the NDS is a object and there are several types of
object. A user is a object, an application is a object ...etc...ect.
Micorsoft did also develop a NDS aware product, called
ADS (Active Directory Service)....but is not so good as NDS for
several reasons.

When you'v got a 'big' NT network you have entered all user, including
file/directory rights. Installing the NDS on the NT server you will
be able to automaticly synchonize all NT object into the Novell
NDS. In that case username and password on the NT server
can be used to login to the Novell server. Changing user properties
on the novell server will be updated on the NT server.

Greetings Peter

Re:Novell file server

Hi,

Avoid using Microsoft's IPX/SPX Compatible protocol. It fails in high
traffic situations. Use Novell's IPX/SPX or use another protocol like
TCP/IP instead.

Sean

Bruno Pedersen wrote:

> Are there any special precautions to be taken when connecting a Delphi app.
> (on WinNT WS) to paradox files placed on a Novell file server ?
> I know nothing about Novell server, do I need that to make the connection ?

> Arre there any reasons for recommending by customer to prefere WinNT-WS for
> Win95/Win98/Win2000 ?

> Bruno Pedersen

Other Threads