wanted: DBLookup"Find"Combo

if i can't find it, i'll write it: i want a component that will function
very much like a DBLookupCombo, but instead of having to type in the
exact info, or scroll through the whole child table, i want to be able to
tell it "find" and enter a sample value from a key field.

for example: i'm writing a bugs database for internal use.  the call
logging table contains a "user" field, which is a link to the "users"
table.  a DBLookupCombo component does what i need for the "user" field,
except that as the list of users gets large, i'll have to scroll through
many, many lines.  so i want the component to have a "find user" button
that will let me type in "wayne" (a key field in the "user" table), which
will find the correct record and enter the primary key for that record
into the "user" field in the call logging table.

i haven't written a component yet, so i'm reluctant to dive into this.
on the other hand, i know of other people who need the same thing, so it
*will* get reused.

-- rick

rick wayne, UW horticulture dept/integrated pest mgt.
481 horticulture, 1575 linden drive madison, wi 53706
(608-262-6010) http://redbird.hort.wisc.edu/rick.htm

Gentle reader, if you use Pretty Good Privacy public-key encryption,
my public key is at http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-commands.html.
If you don't, feel free to ask me about it!

Re:wanted: DBLookup"Find"Combo

In article <40apls$...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, Rick Wayne <fewa...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
>if i can't find it, i'll write it: i want a component that will function
>very much like a DBLookupCombo, but instead of having to type in the
>exact info, or scroll through the whole child table, i want to be able to
>tell it "find" and enter a sample value from a key field.

[snip]

You want the InfoPower set of components from Woll2Woll. It has many
things (including much fancier DBGrid component called wwDBGrid), but the
wwDBLookupCombo seems to be what you're looking for.

They advertise in all the Delphi magazines. It is about $150 or so. A
little more for source code.

I'm using it now and it works well.

Steve Karmesin.

ssr@sampson wrote:

: In article <40apls$...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, Rick Wayne <fewa...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
: >if i can't find it, i'll write it: i want a component that will function
: >very much like a DBLookupCombo, but instead of having to type in the
: >exact info, or scroll through the whole child table, i want to be able to
: >tell it "find" and enter a sample value from a key field.
: >

: [snip]

: You want the InfoPower set of components from Woll2Woll. It has many
: things (including much fancier DBGrid component called wwDBGrid), but the
: wwDBLookupCombo seems to be what you're looking for.

I will second that, you can also get a trial version on their WWW site:

        http://www.woll2woll.com/

It is the same except that you can't run the problem without being in
the IDE.  I looked at there demo and pulled out my AMEX card.

Well worth the $150 bucks.
Darryl Wagoner          dar...@sai.com   http://www.sai.com/
Office: 603.672.0736            Fax: 603-672-4846
Web Pages for hire.   Check out NH & MA Movies http://www.sai.com/movies

Other Threads