List ID?

I know how to pick up mail etc from a pop account but does anyone know
how email servers running LISTSERVES (mailing lists) thread the messages?

I want to make up for my use a program that goes an picks up my mail and
stores the messages into a datbase for the email lists I belong to. I
want them to be group my thread like we can do with news. That way I can
search and sort via questions etc.

IE:
QUESTION
        answer
        answer
                answer
NEW EMAIl QUESTION
answer
answer

etc etc

Please CC your replies to nos...@sale-net.com.au

yes it is a real address I use for news so I can turn it off when it is
not in use..

Re:List ID?

Probably just using a linked list structure.
Each post has a unique id (database unique autonum is ideal) and a
link identifying the unique number of the post it is a child of... The
ones at the top have no child, so you need a parent link of -1 or
something you can spot.

You list the available threads by searching for posts with a parentid
of -1 (or whatever your flag value was).

When someone selects a thread you search the database for posts
linking back to that one. For each of those you must search for posts
that have them as a parent... etc etc etc....

Root post (id=1 parentid=-1 - or null or something like that)
        reply1 (id=2 parentid=1)
                replytoreply1 (id=4 parentid=2)
                replytoreply1b (id=5 parentid=2)
        reply2 (id=3 parentid=1)
        reply3 (id=6 parentid=1)
                replytoreply3 (id=9 parentid=6)

Rootpost2 (id=7 parentid=-1)
        replytopost2 (id=8 parentid=7)

The fun starts when you want to remove posts from the list.. If you're
not careful you can end up with orphans all over the place...

Dodgy.

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 01:48:08 +1000, Peter May <e...@sale-net.com.au>
waffled on about something:

>I know how to pick up mail etc from a pop account but does anyone know
>how email servers running LISTSERVES (mailing lists) thread the messages?

>I want to make up for my use a program that goes an picks up my mail and
>stores the messages into a datbase for the email lists I belong to. I
>want them to be group my thread like we can do with news. That way I can
>search and sort via questions etc.

>IE:
>QUESTION
>    answer
>    answer
>            answer
>NEW EMAIl QUESTION
>answer
>answer

>etc etc

>Please CC your replies to nos...@sale-net.com.au

>yes it is a real address I use for news so I can turn it off when it is
>not in use..

Other Threads