How do I extract Win 95 or NT computer name into a string with DELPHI 3??

If anyone has any idea on how I can extract the computer name of the
machine in Delphi 3.0, please help!  I need to get the Win95 computer
name and somehow get it into a string... for example if I wanted to
print the computer name in a message box.  I couldn't find anything in
the Delphi help or manuals that explain how to accomplish this.

Thanks!

        -Lee

Re:How do I extract Win 95 or NT computer name into a string with DELPHI 3??

lsav...@netwrx.net wrote in article <34108b32.101687...@news.netwrx.net>...

> If anyone has any idea on how I can extract the computer name of the
> machine in Delphi 3.0, please help!  I need to get the Win95 computer
> name and somehow get it into a string... for example if I wanted to
> print the computer name in a message box.  I couldn't find anything in
> the Delphi help or manuals that explain how to accomplish this.

The GetComputerName function retrieves the computer name of the current
system. This name is established at system startup, when it is initialized
from the registry.

BOOL GetComputerName(

    LPTSTR  lpBuffer,   // address of name buffer
    LPDWORD  nSize      // address of size of name buffer
   );
Parameters

lpBuffer

Points to a buffer to receive the null-terminated character string
containing the computer name.

nSize

Points to a variable that specifies the maximum size, in characters, of the
buffer. This value should be large enough to contain
MAX_COMPUTERNAME_LENGTH + 1 characters.

Return Value

If the function succeeds, the return value is TRUE and the variable at
nSize contains the number of characters copied to the destination buffer,
not including the terminating null character.
If the function fails, the return value is FALSE. To get extended error
information, call GetLastError.

lsav...@netwrx.net wrote:

> If anyone has any idea on how I can extract the computer name of the
> machine in Delphi 3.0, please help!  I need to get the Win95 computer
> name and somehow get it into a string... for example if I wanted to
> print the computer name in a message box.  I couldn't find anything in
> the Delphi help or manuals that explain how to accomplish this.

> Thanks!

>         -Lee

Hi, the code bellow would do the trick (this is not actually Delphi,
this is Win32).

var
  ComputerName: Array[0..MAX_COMPUTERNAME_LENGTH];
  Len: Integer;
  Len := sizeof(ComputerName);
  if GetComputerName(ComputerName, Len) then
    MyLabel.Caption := String(ComputerName);

-Vladimir

Other Threads