Upgrading from Delphi 2 to Delphi 4

Our company just ordered the upgrade to Delphi 4 from Delphi 2. It won't be
in for a week or so but we wanted to know what kind of problems or headaches
we might encounter trying to pull our existing projects that was written in
ver 2 in the new version.

Thanks for all responses

David Alge

Re:Upgrading from Delphi 2 to Delphi 4

Generally speaking it should go ok except for any extra components you are
using. These will have to be installed in Delphi packages. If the source
code is available this will not prove to be a problem.

Mike Best

David Alge <dav...@acci.net> wrote in article <79v78o$97...@remarQ.com>...

David Alge wrote:
> Our company just ordered the upgrade to Delphi 4 from Delphi 2. It won't be
> in for a week or so but we wanted to know what kind of problems or headaches
> we might encounter trying to pull our existing projects that was written in
> ver 2 in the new version.

This will depend on how much customized stuff you have. I have had projects
come across fine. I have one that is a #*@&*@#( {*word*81}, but we're doing some
funky stuff that has some sublties. Thank goodness that one is out of my hands
now!

Good luck on the conversion!

James

Re:Upgrading from Delphi 2 to Delphi 4

We did it and found real compatibility problems with the BDE. I cant
remember what happened but eventually we developed the product on the
mahcines we hadnt upgraded. And start the new projects on the upgraded
machines

Iain

Re:Upgrading from Delphi 2 to Delphi 4

We did it and found real compatibility problems with the BDE. I cant
remember what happened but eventually we developed the product on the
mahcines we hadnt upgraded. And start the new projects on the upgraded
machines

Iain

Re:Upgrading from Delphi 2 to Delphi 4

If you did not Link reportsmith in this should not be a big deal.  Borland
dropped report smith with the D3 release.  I had some problems with code that
ran applications directly (Paradox Reports for example)  The code just did
not work.  EXECUTE FILE does not seem to be a part Delphi 4 and I have not
resolved this yet but I will soon.  Genarally it went smoothly.

In article <01be5604$0ec67e60$0ca6868b@miks>,
  "Mike Best" <Lin...@onaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> Generally speaking it should go ok except for any extra components you are
> using. These will have to be installed in Delphi packages. If the source
> code is available this will not prove to be a problem.

> Mike Best

> David Alge <dav...@acci.net> wrote in article <79v78o$97...@remarQ.com>...
> > Our company just ordered the upgrade to Delphi 4 from Delphi 2. It won't
> be
> > in for a week or so but we wanted to know what kind of problems or
> headaches
> > we might encounter trying to pull our existing projects that was written
> in
> > ver 2 in the new version.

> > Thanks for all responses

> > David Alge

Re:Upgrading from Delphi 2 to Delphi 4

Is there information posted anywhere about upgrading to a new version and what
can be expected?  When I upgraded from D1 to D3, it was a nightmare, I pretty
much had to rewrite everything as it would not compile under D3.  Is this the
norm when upgrading with Delphi or did I just miss something when I upgraded ?
:)    *afraid to ever upgrade again*.....

On 7 Mar 1999 02:23:29 GMT, mdaugl...@aol.com (Mdaugl235) wrote:

>Is there information posted anywhere about upgrading to a new version and what
>can be expected?  When I upgraded from D1 to D3, it was a nightmare, I pretty
>much had to rewrite everything as it would not compile under D3.  Is this the
>norm when upgrading with Delphi or did I just miss something when I upgraded ?

Upgrading from D1 to D2 was the big step because it meant moving from a
16-bit world to a 32-bit world. The step from D2 to D3 was much smaller,
but affected components due to the introduction of packages. The move
from D3 to D4 mostly affected those who were sloppy in declaring Windows
API arguments (e.g., using LongInt instead of DWORD).

In other words, the pain you experienced in upgrading from D1 to D3 was
mostly due to the D1 to D2 changes, and are not representative of the
changes needed for other version upgrades.
--
Ray Lischner (http://www.tempest-sw.com/)
Author of "Hidden Paths of Delphi 3: Experts, Wizards, and the Open Tools API"

Other Threads