MSSQL Server Advice

I am going to be installing MSSQL server soon and I am looking for some
pointers to get fast-tracked with this.  Specifically, any good books
etc. that talk about setting up and using with Delphi.  I have the MS
SQL Server training set, which is cool for learning about the server,
but having never used anything other than Paradox tables (which I always
access via TTable created on the fly) I am a little unsure how to
connect to the server, is it only via ODBC or can Delphi talk straight
to it??

Any help would be cool

Regards
Mark.

Re:MSSQL Server Advice

If you have the Client/Server version of Delphi (which includes Borland SQL
Links), then you can access MSSQL Server without ODBC. One good book on
general MS SQL Server is the Unleashed book. There is also a Delphi 3.0
Client/Server book by the same publisher that has good C/S information with
some specific information on various C/S databases (including SQL Server).

Links to books @ Amazon.com:
Client/Server Developer's Guide With Delphi 3:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0672310244/

Microsoft Sql Server 6.5 Unleashed:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0672309564/

There are also many "gotchas" that can really slow you down,  but they are
things that everyone has to deal with. Stay on top of this newsgroup,
reading the SQL Server related items, at least during your learning time.
You'll find a lot of useful (real-world) information in a group like this
that doesn't always find its way into a book.

Dave Prothero
Argos Software

Mark Sage wrote in message <34BC0C75.2E817...@carlson-marketing.co.uk>...
>I am going to be installing MSSQL server soon and I am looking for some
>pointers to get fast-tracked with this.  Specifically, any good books
>etc. that talk about setting up and using with Delphi.  I have the MS
>SQL Server training set, which is cool for learning about the server,
>but having never used anything other than Paradox tables (which I always
>access via TTable created on the fly) I am a little unsure how to
>connect to the server, is it only via ODBC or can Delphi talk straight
>to it??

>Any help would be cool

>Regards
>Mark.