Board index » delphi » Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables

Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables

Why can't I open or connect (ODBC) to a Dbase/Paradox table from Excel,
when the table is created using 'CREATE TABLE'? - It works fine using the
Database Desktop.

Torben von Deyen - t...@lpt.dk

******************************************'
LPTdata; Enghavevej 10,2
DK-7100 Vejle; Denmark;
Tlf: +45 76428485
fax: +45 75727523
******************************************'

 

Re:Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables


Torben von Deyen (t...@lpt.dk) wrote:

: Why can't I open or connect (ODBC) to a Dbase/Paradox table from Excel,
: when the table is created using 'CREATE TABLE'? - It works fine using the
: Database Desktop.

What version tables?  What version of Excel?
My guess is that you're creating a higher version of the table
than what your version of Excel can read.
--
============================================================
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net
============================================================

Re:Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables


Quote
Torben von Deyen wrote:

> Why can't I open or connect (ODBC) to a Dbase/Paradox table from Excel,
> when the table is created using 'CREATE TABLE'? - It works fine using the
> Database Desktop.

You should be able to do it, Torben, if you know that the DB-file is
there and if you know that the various ODBC settings required to get to
the table are set up properly.  But there are MANY settings involved
here...  more detailed information about what you are trying to do and
what you are seeing will be necessary to provide effective solutions to
your problem.

Also be aware that the ODBC driver for Paradox may or may not use the
Borland Database Engine software and may or may not be compatible with
all the latest Paradox goodies.

Re:Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables


Thank you Richard for the reply!

The Excel version is Excel 97 and when I create at table using 'CREATE
TABLE' and .dbf-extension, Delphi4 / BDE5 creates a dBase for Windows
table. And when creating with .db-extension, Delphi/BDE creates a Paradox
7.0 (heap) table.

The strange is, when I create these type of tables in the Database Desktop
application and loaded/connected them in Excel, it works fine, but it just
don't work using the 'CREATE TABLE'????

Torben.

Richard Carter <carte...@news.ececs.uc.edu> wrote in article
<73unfj$h1...@news.ececs.uc.edu>...

Quote
> Torben von Deyen (t...@lpt.dk) wrote:

> : Why can't I open or connect (ODBC) to a Dbase/Paradox table from Excel,
> : when the table is created using 'CREATE TABLE'? - It works fine using
the
> : Database Desktop.

> What version tables?  What version of Excel?
> My guess is that you're creating a higher version of the table
> than what your version of Excel can read.
> --
> ============================================================
> Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net
> ============================================================

Re:Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables


Torben von Deyen (t...@lpt.dk) wrote:
: Thank you Richard for the reply!

: The Excel version is Excel 97 and when I create at table using 'CREATE
: TABLE' and .dbf-extension, Delphi4 / BDE5 creates a dBase for Windows
: table. And when creating with .db-extension, Delphi/BDE creates a Paradox
: 7.0 (heap) table.

: The strange is, when I create these type of tables in the Database Desktop
: application and loaded/connected them in Excel, it works fine, but it just
: don't work using the 'CREATE TABLE'????

In Database Desktop, right-click the tables' names and do an
"Info Structure" to verify the version number the tables are
actually being saved as.  You may find the difference there.
If not, I'm stumped.
--
============================================================
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net
============================================================

Re:Excel vs. Dbase/Paradox tables


ODBC can only handle Paradox version 5 and dBase IV.  There weren't very
many changes in PDOX from 5 to 7, so you can probably change to version 5 if
you need this "integration".

If you change the settings in the BDEADMIN program for version, CreateTable
will act accordingly.

Other Threads