Graphic Vision 2.10 released

I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, beta version
2.10.
A fully functional evaluation, as well as precompiled example programs are
now available for download from my website:

 http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Version 2.10 adds:

   Long file name (LFN) support (still in beta)
   Improved multi-lingual application support
   JPEG and PCX decoding
   Improved frames and scrollbars
   Many "internal" improvements

 1. OVERVIEW

Graphic Vision is a full featured object orientated application framework
for building DOS or DPMI programs that would benefit frome a high quality
Graphical User Interface. Graphic Vision (GV) has been modeled on
Borland International's Pascal version of Turbo Vision (TV). It has similar
functionality, user and programmer interface as Turbo Vision, but uses a
graphics screen for its visual output instead of TV's text-only screen.

2. KEY FEATURES

Built-in, very fast and proven VGA/SVGA graphics engine.

Professional look and feel, similar to MS Windows 95.

All major GUI elements supplied; bitmaps, scrollbars, buttons, list viewers,
dialog boxes etc.

Mouse cursor animation to allow mouse cursors of up to 32x32 pixels in size.

Resource compiler utility to generate mouse cursor, bitmap, icon, string and
font resources.

Help file compiler for generating context-sensitive help files.

 MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR RUNNING GV APPLICATIONS

  MSDOS 3.3
  80386SX processor
  640K RAM (2MB for the DPMI version)
  VGA Graphics card
  Microsoft compatible mouse and driver (Version 7.05 or better)

Graphic Vision supports:
   16 colour VGA and SVGA video modes up to 800 x 600
   256 colour VGA and SVGA video modes up to 1600 x 1200 x 256

DOS real mode and DOS protected mode Graphic Vision applications are known
 to work on 386's to PIII's and compatibles in the following environments:

 DOS Versions 3.3 though 6.22, with or without EMM386.EXE and SHARE.EXE
DOS 7.0 (including Windows 95/98 full-screen DOS boxes)
DesqView
Win3.x full-screen DOS box
OS/2 Warp full-screen DOS box

 MINIMUM DEVELOPERS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

  MSDOS 3.3
  386 processor
  640K RAM (2MB for the DPMI version)
  SVGA Graphics card
  Hard Drive with at least 2MB free
  Turbo Pascal for DOS (version 7.0)
  Microsoft compatible mouse and driver (Version 7.05 or better)

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"
Professional Win95-style GUI for DOS/DPMI
Graphic Vision evaluation (version 2.04) available from:
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:Graphic Vision 2.10 released

JRS:  In article <969054272.24555.0.nnrp-03.9e98b...@news.demon.co.uk>
of Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:57:46 seen in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland,

Jason Burgon <ja...@jayman.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Newsgroups: borland.public.turbopascal,comp.lang.pascal.borland,comp.lang.pasca
>.misc,comp.os.msdos.programmer.turbovision

>I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, beta version
>2.10.

Good.

But, with a Newsgroups list like that, the Path suggests that you use
the Demon news server, rather than a Borland one as Borland say, for
borland.public.turbopascal.  Those who collect b.p.t from Borland and
don't collect the other groups will not see your post.  There's a one-
way leak from Borland to Usenet.

Likewise for your "I am proud to announce the public release of
GDOS.PAS, a free LFN-capable replacement for the standard DOS/WINDOS.PAS
units. The GDOS units, IDE help file and source code can be downloaded
from my website:".

However, Borland don't like cross-posts.

Therefore I have re-ordered the newsgroups line on this post, to ensure
that it is posted into Demon and hence that you can see it.

Dr John Stockton <s...@merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

I Wrote:

 > >I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, beta version

> >2.10.

> Good.

> But, with a Newsgroups list like that, the Path suggests that you use
> the Demon news server, rather than a Borland one as Borland say, for
> borland.public.turbopascal.  Those who collect b.p.t from Borland and
> don't collect the other groups will not see your post.  There's a one-
> way leak from Borland to Usenet.

Yes, I realize this. However, it's Borland who are at fault. News servers are
after all supposed to be  global talking shops. I refuse to bow to Borlands
interepretation of what the world is supposed to be like. Just imagine if
every newsgroup was like those of Borlands. Newsnet would be dead within 6
months. It's time they changed their news server setup to bring it in line
with the rest of the world.

> However, Borland don't like cross-posts.

Neither do I normally, but they do have their use sometimes.

> Therefore I have re-ordered the newsgroups line on this post, to ensure
> that it is posted into Demon and hence that you can see it.

Thanks John. Let us hope the whole 'net doesn't end up in corporate hands.

Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"
Professional Win95-style GUI for DOS/DPMI
*** New version 2.10 available from: ***
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:Graphic Vision 2.10 released

Jason Burgon a crit :

> I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, beta version
> 2.10.
> A fully functional evaluation, as well as precompiled example programs are
> now available for download from my website:

>  http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

> Version 2.10 adds:

>    Long file name (LFN) support (still in beta)
>    Improved multi-lingual application support
>    JPEG and PCX decoding
>    Improved frames and scrollbars
>    Many "internal" improvements

>  1. OVERVIEW

> Graphic Vision is a full featured object orientated application framework
> for building DOS or DPMI programs that would benefit frome a high quality
> Graphical User Interface. Graphic Vision (GV) has been modeled on
> Borland International's Pascal version of Turbo Vision (TV). It has similar
> functionality, user and programmer interface as Turbo Vision, but uses a
> graphics screen for its visual output instead of TV's text-only screen.

> 2. KEY FEATURES

> Built-in, very fast and proven VGA/SVGA graphics engine.

> Professional look and feel, similar to MS Windows 95.

> All major GUI elements supplied; bitmaps, scrollbars, buttons, list viewers,
> dialog boxes etc.

> Mouse cursor animation to allow mouse cursors of up to 32x32 pixels in size.

> Resource compiler utility to generate mouse cursor, bitmap, icon, string and
> font resources.

> Help file compiler for generating context-sensitive help files.

>  MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR RUNNING GV APPLICATIONS

>   MSDOS 3.3
>   80386SX processor
>   640K RAM (2MB for the DPMI version)
>   VGA Graphics card
>   Microsoft compatible mouse and driver (Version 7.05 or better)

> Graphic Vision supports:
>    16 colour VGA and SVGA video modes up to 800 x 600
>    256 colour VGA and SVGA video modes up to 1600 x 1200 x 256

> DOS real mode and DOS protected mode Graphic Vision applications are known
>  to work on 386's to PIII's and compatibles in the following environments:

>  DOS Versions 3.3 though 6.22, with or without EMM386.EXE and SHARE.EXE
> DOS 7.0 (including Windows 95/98 full-screen DOS boxes)
> DesqView
> Win3.x full-screen DOS box
> OS/2 Warp full-screen DOS box

>  MINIMUM DEVELOPERS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

>   MSDOS 3.3
>   386 processor
>   640K RAM (2MB for the DPMI version)
>   SVGA Graphics card
>   Hard Drive with at least 2MB free
>   Turbo Pascal for DOS (version 7.0)
>   Microsoft compatible mouse and driver (Version 7.05 or better)

Any plan on porting this to Linux?

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.

Michel Catudal <bb...@netonecom.net> wrote in message

> Jason Burgon a crit :

> > I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, beta version
> > 2.10.
> > A fully functional evaluation, as well as precompiled example programs are
> > now available for download from my website:

> >  http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

> > Version 2.10 adds:

> >    Long file name (LFN) support (still in beta)
> >    Improved multi-lingual application support
> >    JPEG and PCX decoding
> >    Improved frames and scrollbars
> >    Many "internal" improvements
> Any plan on porting this to Linux?

There would be no point in porting it to Linux as it stands since it is a
16-bit library. The first step towards a Linux port would therefore be a port
to 32-bit DPMI using FreePascal. This I am seriously considering.

The thing that's holding me back the most though is FP's lack of a Turbo
De{*word*81} style de{*word*81}. I am not going to work my way through a 3-4 thousand
lines of 16-bit assembler plus 35-40 thousands lines of Pascal without a first
rate development environment.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
=== Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
=== New Graphic Vision  version 2.10 available from:  ===
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:Graphic Vision 2.10 released

I sure wish this had been for the C++ version, not PASCAL.  Any chance
you'll port to C++?

-d

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:57:46 +0100, "Jason Burgon"

DWyc <dwyc...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> I sure wish this had been for the C++ version, not PASCAL.  Any chance
> you'll port to C++?

My next job is a 32-bit port to FreePascal and/or other 32-bit Pascal
Compiler[s]. However, if there are enough C++ programmers interested in it I
might then produce a 32-bit C++ version.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
=== Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
=== New Graphic Vision  version 2.10 available from:  ===
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Re:Graphic Vision 2.10 released

>> >  http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

>> > Version 2.10 adds:

>> >    Long file name (LFN) support (still in beta)
>> >    Improved multi-lingual application support
>> >    JPEG and PCX decoding
>> >    Improved frames and scrollbars
>> >    Many "internal" improvements

>> Any plan on porting this to Linux?

>There would be no point in porting it to Linux as it stands since it is a
>16-bit library. The first step towards a Linux port would therefore be a port
>to 32-bit DPMI using FreePascal. This I am seriously considering.

>The thing that's holding me back the most though is FP's lack of a Turbo
>De{*word*81} style de{*word*81}. I am not going to work my way through a 3-4 thousand
>lines of 16-bit assembler plus 35-40 thousands lines of Pascal without a first
>rate development environment.

Debugging IS possible under the FPC IDE, but it is indeed not yet as bugfree
and smooth as TPs.

The FPC developpers do it often. It is even possible to debug the ide from
the ide, while it is compiling the ide, and you can also trace through the
RTL, not only your own program.

(though that eats 80 MB of memory though, and therefore isn't possible under
dos :-)

I would say give it a try :-)

Marco van de Voort <mar...@snail.stack.nl> wrote in message

> >> Any plan on porting this to Linux?

> >There would be no point in porting it to Linux as it stands since it is a
> >16-bit library. The first step towards a Linux port would therefore be a
port
> >to 32-bit DPMI using FreePascal. This I am seriously considering.

> >The thing that's holding me back the most though is FP's lack of a Turbo
> >De{*word*81} style de{*word*81}. I am not going to work my way through a 3-4
> >thousand lines of 16-bit assembler plus 35-40 thousands lines of Pascal
> >without a first rate development environment.

> Debugging IS possible under the FPC IDE, but it is indeed not yet as
> bugfree and smooth as TPs.

Not that TP's de{*word*81}s are entirely bug free, but they are is more than
useable.

> The FPC developpers do it often. It is even possible to debug the ide from
> the ide, while it is compiling the ide, and you can also trace through the
> RTL, not only your own program.

> (though that eats 80 MB of memory though, and therefore isn't possible under
> dos :-)

> I would say give it a try :-)

Ok, Thanks for the info Marco. I will give it a try. Presumably the FP
de{*word*81} is an on-going development, and I would therefore be better off using
the latast IDE "snapshot"?

Jay
--

In article <969975451.9730.0.nnrp-14.9e98b...@news.demon.co.uk>,\

 Jason Burgon wrote:
>Marco van de Voort <mar...@snail.stack.nl> wrote in message

>> >There would be no point in porting it to Linux as it stands since it is a
>> >16-bit library. The first step towards a Linux port would therefore be a
>port
>> >to 32-bit DPMI using FreePascal. This I am seriously considering.

>> >The thing that's holding me back the most though is FP's lack of a Turbo
>> >De{*word*81} style de{*word*81}. I am not going to work my way through a 3-4
>> >thousand lines of 16-bit assembler plus 35-40 thousands lines of Pascal
>> >without a first rate development environment.

>> Debugging IS possible under the FPC IDE, but it is indeed not yet as
>> bugfree and smooth as TPs.

>Not that TP's de{*word*81}s are entirely bug free, but they are is more than
>useable.

FP is usable, but not comfortable. But you can get used to it, by taking
some more precautions (like saving etc)

>> The FPC developpers do it often. It is even possible to debug the ide from
>> the ide, while it is compiling the ide, and you can also trace through the
>> RTL, not only your own program.

>> (though that eats 80 MB of memory though, and therefore isn't possible under
>> dos :-)

>> I would say give it a try :-)

>Ok, Thanks for the info Marco. I will give it a try. Presumably the FP
>de{*word*81} is an on-going development, and I would therefore be better off using
>the latast IDE "snapshot"?

Also keep an eye on the -gl (or -glh) option. I use it even more than the
de{*word*81}. It provides unit name + linenumber call-traceback in case of an crash.

Re:Graphic Vision 2.10 released

Great. Im in pascal programming over 10 years now and have lots of own
units too for every damn :) aim. Continue your good work. Long live pascal.
M.Z.

Jason Burgon schrieb:

> Michel Catudal <bb...@netonecom.net> wrote in message
> > Jason Burgon a crit :

> > > I am proud to announce the public release of Graphic Vision, beta version
> > > 2.10.
> > > A fully functional evaluation, as well as precompiled example programs are
> > > now available for download from my website:

> > >  http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

> > > Version 2.10 adds:

> > >    Long file name (LFN) support (still in beta)
> > >    Improved multi-lingual application support
> > >    JPEG and PCX decoding
> > >    Improved frames and scrollbars
> > >    Many "internal" improvements

> > Any plan on porting this to Linux?

> There would be no point in porting it to Linux as it stands since it is a
> 16-bit library. The first step towards a Linux port would therefore be a port
> to 32-bit DPMI using FreePascal. This I am seriously considering.

> The thing that's holding me back the most though is FP's lack of a Turbo
> De{*word*81} style de{*word*81}. I am not going to work my way through a 3-4 thousand
> lines of 16-bit assembler plus 35-40 thousands lines of Pascal without a first
> rate development environment.

> --
> Jay

> Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
> === Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
> === New Graphic Vision  version 2.10 available from:  ===
> http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Other Threads