Books for Client/Server Development?

Hi,

Anyone aware of a good book for Delphi 2 on Client/Server Development?
I have been developing in Delphi for about a year now, but all this
while I am not involved in Client/Server Development and I don't have
any experience on developing such monsters...

Any feedback will be appreciated.  BTW, please cc a copy of your
response to my mailbox, thank you.

TIA,
Sam

Re:Books for Client/Server Development?

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:25:12 +1000, Grant Walker <g...@enternet.com.au>
wrote:

>In particular you ought to check out:
>  Database Developer's Guide with Delphi 2 by Ken Henderson
>  Borland Press/Sams Publishing
>  Phone: 800-428-5331; Fax: 800-448-3804
>  ISBN 0-672-30862-2 $49.99

>Unlike most of those 900pg chunky books, this one isn't 3/4 filled with
>reference and "what is a FOR loop" basics.  It's solid database design,
>together with a chapter or so on tips for approaching large application
>development.  While I've had only a token experience in C/S myself, I've
>found it helpful in gaining a perspective on the limitations of desktop
>databases.
>I've found it refreshingly practical - stuff like "normalisation is
>really important, but don't go overboard or you can kill performance; let's
>look at an example..."  etc.

I have the V.B. version of this book, and it is excellent, I did not
know there was a Delphi version, thanks.

ttyl
Jason Kaczor

### Sam ### wrote:
> Anyone aware of a good book for Delphi 2 on Client/Server Development?
> I have been developing in Delphi for about a year now, but all this
> while I am not involved in Client/Server Development and I don't have
> any experience on developing such monsters...

There's a fairly comprehensive list at
  http://www.borland.com/delphi/books/

In particular you ought to check out:
  Database Developer's Guide with Delphi 2 by Ken Henderson
  Borland Press/Sams Publishing
  Phone: 800-428-5331; Fax: 800-448-3804
  ISBN 0-672-30862-2 $49.99
  Focusing on using Delphi to build client/server (SQL) applications,
this book
  provides comprehensive coverage of how to create distributable
database
  applications, and explains all of Delphi's database development
tools.  Covers
  DBExplorer (to define field attributes), Data Modules, visual form
inheritance,
  and form linking.  CD-ROM includes the book source, sample
applications and
  demo software.

Unlike most of those 900pg chunky books, this one isn't 3/4 filled with
reference and "what is a FOR loop" basics.  It's solid database design,
together with a chapter or so on tips for approaching large application
development.  While I've had only a token experience in C/S myself, I've
found
it helpful in gaining a perspective on the limitations of desktop
databases.
I've found it refreshingly practical - stuff like "normalisation is
really
important, but don't go overboard or you can kill performance; let's
look
at an example..."  etc.

Like I said, worth a look.  My only complaint is that the main sample
app I installed off his CD took a bit of editing to make it work,
and his forms are hideously cluttered.  But then again, I didn't buy
the book for advice on GUI design... ;)

Grant Walker        Hobart, Tasmania         Ph: +613 62313083
Design Engineer     Australia                Fx: +613 62313086

Other Threads