Handling large text files

"Johann Joubert" <lastlegion...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have to do some maintenance on large text files by reading each line and
>then writing it to millions of other smaller text files (no larger than
>32K).  However, the large files are each around 1.4GB in size.  Will
>AssignFile and Reset and Readln work?

Yes, it will work, if you don't have too many open at one time.
Writing to millions of other files will be very slow, perhaps
there is a better way to accomplish what you are doing.

Re:Handling large text files

"Johann Joubert" <lastlegion...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have to do some maintenance on large text files by reading each line and
>then writing it to millions of other smaller text files (no larger than
>32K).  However, the large files are each around 1.4GB in size.  Will
>AssignFile and Reset and Readln work?  Or will it slow the system down?

There might be a limit on the number of files you can have on
the disk.  Why do you need to do this - there might be a better
way to accomplish what you are doing.

Other Threads