Delphi or JBuilder better suited for OO development?

I would appreciate your input on which tool (D or JB) to choose for my
next project. My intention is not to start a holy war on which
language is best. I just need more information on which one is the
best tool.

I will be developing a system which will enable the user to track a
patient progress through treatment in our institute. All information
pertaining to the patient (personal, insurance, test results,
rahabilitation progress etc etc). IOW it's the electronic version of a
medical file. The information contained tends to be fairly complex and
diverse, with lots of interrelationships.

IMHO this obviously databased system would benefit tremendously from
an OODBMS (object oriented database mangement system) as opposed to a
relational database.

Being an advocate of Delphi (I've used Turbo Pascal since v2)  I went
looking for an OODBMS with native support for Delphi. There isn't any!
It took me some time to believe this. A product so OO like Delphi, and
you can't find a matching OODBMS? Impossible! or so I thought.
The products (like ObjectStore and POET) usually support C++ (yuk),
ActiveX (YUK)  and Java.

So there's my dilemma: use my trusted Delphi with a relational
database, or, switch to Java and have lots of options for the OODBMS?

I need your experience and opinions to answer these questions:
- how hard is it to switch from Delphi to Java?
- how slow is JBuilder compared to Delphi?
- how cross-platform will a JBuilder application actually be? E.g. can
JBuilder apps run on a Linux box?
- how does JBuilder compare to (forgive me) Visual J++?
- is Inprise support for JBuilder any better the for Delphi?
- which version of JBuilder do I need? Pro or C/$?
- any experience with the current OODBMS offerings?
- other things I need to know?

FYI the app will be used by about 20 people concurrently. NT4 server
with Win95/98 workstations.

Thanks a lot if you take the time to answer this!

Marcel Mar
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

e-mail (anti-spam encoded): *remove_this*mjmare@*remove_this*inter.nl.net

Re:Delphi or JBuilder better suited for OO development?

I've got much the same predicament...I'm doing everything I can to NOT to
leave Delphi but if it doesn't get some really good native support for a
reliable, scalable, multi-user OODBMS, I'm afraid there we be a day, soon,
that I will regretably leave Delphi and go to Java where there is an
abundance of Object Database support.

I can't stand mapping objects(let alone complex ones) to relational tables,
uggh!!  Think about how nice it would be if you could just code

db.starttransaction
person := TPerson.Create;
person.firstname := 'Randy';
person.lastname := 'Trexler';
person.address.one := 'Mickey Lane';
person.Save;
account.holder := person;
account.save;
db.commit;

Without, of course, writing my own persistence mechanism...

Marcel J Mar <see_e-mail_address_be...@nowhere.com> wrote in article
<35ec4573.6507...@news.Amsterdam.NL.net>...