Personal Oracle 7.x vs. 8

I have just received my copy of Personal Oracle 8. Borland Tech.
support assures me that PO8 can be accessed through SQL Links, but
only the 7.x features of PO8 are supported. I can live with this.

What I'd like to know from others, is your experiences using Personal
Oracle 8 with Delphi and SQL Links, both positive and negative.

Also, if anyone has experience with both SQL-Server and Oracle, I'd
appreciate any comments on the similarity in syntax for creating
stored procedures. I'm trying to offer our networked product which
presently uses SQL-Server, for use on the desktop as a single user
version with Oracle, and creating identical tables and stored
procedures in Oracle is a must.

TIA,
Bob Hill

Re:Personal Oracle 7.x vs. 8

Hi bob,

I have answer to one of your questions :

bh...@visionsyst.com wrote in message <34b380d2.885...@news.tiac.net>...
>Also, if anyone has experience with both SQL-Server and Oracle, I'd
>appreciate any comments on the similarity in syntax for creating
>stored procedures. I'm trying to offer our networked product which
>presently uses SQL-Server, for use on the desktop as a single user
>version with Oracle, and creating identical tables and stored
>procedures in Oracle is a must.

I'm currently developing a Delphi project that supports Oracle7 and M$ SQL
server 6.5.
Similarities exists mainly in the SQL syntax. Both database supports
ANSI-SQL to various degrees and most of the DDL and DML statements are
identical. 1 major difference is in the outer join syntax.

In stored procedures things are much uglier: Although the syntax of the
CREATE PROCEDURE statement is almost identical, the implementation code is
very different. In SQL server you use T-SQL and in Oracle you use PL/SQL.
Both languages are as different as Basic from Pascal.

You should do your best to make your Delphi project compatible with both
databases. This can be done by using TQuery's and constructing SQL in
run-time.
The server-side implentation should be implemented for each server
seperately.

HTH,
Asaf Yaffe
GreenSoft Management Systems
If you want to reply by e-mail: remove the __.

Re:Personal Oracle 7.x vs. 8

I'm using PO8 with SQL links, in 7.x compatibility mode.
However, there are weird problems, some I can work around and
some I have not been able to.
The error messages always refer to an Invalid ROWID.
I suspect that may be because the ROWID format changed from
7 to 8.

In hindsight I regard choosing PO8 as a tactical mistake for that
reason. Before deployment we may have to revert to PO7 to
avoid the risk.

No matter what tech support tells you, they won't support you and
certainly won't fix any problems.

--

SGS Information Engineering
The World of Null A http://www.nulla-world.com

bh...@visionsyst.com wrote in message <34b380d2.885...@news.tiac.net>...
>I have just received my copy of Personal Oracle 8. Borland Tech.
>support assures me that PO8 can be accessed through SQL Links, but
>only the 7.x features of PO8 are supported. I can live with this.

>What I'd like to know from others, is your experiences using Personal
>Oracle 8 with Delphi and SQL Links, both positive and negative.

Re:Personal Oracle 7.x vs. 8

It may be easier to develop your desktop application with Sybase SQL
Anywhere 5.5, if you plan to port SQL-Server stored procedures, and
need to maintain identical tables.   PO is a great product for
developing Oracle applications, but SQL Anywhere will provide better
compatibility with SQL-Server.

Michael Asfaw
Computer Solutions Unlimited

On Wed, 07 Jan 1998 13:23:56 GMT, bh...@visionsyst.com wrote:
>I have just received my copy of Personal Oracle 8. Borland Tech.
>support assures me that PO8 can be accessed through SQL Links, but
>only the 7.x features of PO8 are supported. I can live with this.

>What I'd like to know from others, is your experiences using Personal
>Oracle 8 with Delphi and SQL Links, both positive and negative.

>Also, if anyone has experience with both SQL-Server and Oracle, I'd
>appreciate any comments on the similarity in syntax for creating
>stored procedures. I'm trying to offer our networked product which
>presently uses SQL-Server, for use on the desktop as a single user
>version with Oracle, and creating identical tables and stored
>procedures in Oracle is a must.

>TIA,
>Bob Hill

Re:Personal Oracle 7.x vs. 8

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:20:17 GMT, mas...@erols.com (Michael Asfaw)
wrote:

>It may be easier to develop your desktop application with Sybase SQL
>Anywhere 5.5, if you plan to port SQL-Server stored procedures, and
>need to maintain identical tables.   PO is a great product for
>developing Oracle applications, but SQL Anywhere will provide better
>compatibility with SQL-Server.

>Michael Asfaw
>Computer Solutions Unlimited

My client's made a fairly huge investment in Oracle. They're a
worldwide corporation, so they're pretty much calling the shots.

Thanks for the advise though.
BH

Other Threads