Local SQL and Indices - Help!

I have multi user 16 bit Delphi database running on a Novell network using
local SQL.  The workstations accessing the database range from PII 200Mhz to
lowly 486sx-25 machines.  The database only has 16,000+ records but the
queries run very very slow on the slower machines.

How do I use indexes to speed things up?  I can find no references to using
indexes with local SQL in any of the help files, but I keep seeing comments
in this newsgroup that using indexes with local SQL will increase
performance i.e. "then pass the primary key as paramneter to the query ".

How?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Greg Pencheff
pench...@lancnews.infi.net