Any feedback on Earthtrek VB to Delphi converter?

Would anyone who has bought the VB to Delphi converter from Earthtrek
please give me their comments?  Does it work?  How reliable is it?
I have looked at a demo version, and it's not exactly a confidence
builder.

Thanks for aany info.

Oktay Alkin

Re:Any feedback on Earthtrek VB to Delphi converter?

I used it to convert a medium size VB project: (30 forms)
about 500K exe.

There are lots of work that you need to do when Conversion
Assistant (CA) is done.

1.  Convert parameters to VAR.  Since VB passed everything by
pointer as default instead of by reference, CA assumes the
standard pascal convention of passing by value.  Therefore,
there's a need to go through all the functions to determine
which one need to be by reference especially with DLL
declarations.

2.  Convert String to PCHAR for DLL.  CA converts VB string to
Pascal String which is not compatible when you send them to a
DLL.  If you use a lot of DLL, then prepares to spend a lot
time figuring out which field is used for DLL and which field
is not.  Why doesn't Delphi just make PCHAR the default string
type?

I wonder if we can create our own string object and replace
the Delphi default string.

3.  CA puts all BAS files declaration, codes, variables, types
etc into one large globs.pas.  If you want to make some sense
out of your code, then you have to spend the time breaking
this file into smaller pieces.

4.  Make sure you have the latest version (2.1), the older
version is useless.

5.  CA creates default property & method for VBX that it does
not know (via a GUI.MAP).  This can create problem because a
lot of VBX does not support all the default property &
methods.  Delphi however detects this and correct them without
much problem.

6.  With VBX controls, CA does not keep the properties defined
in VB like icons, colors, fonts.  It has trouble converting
various sheridan designer widget controls: ssdoctbx, ssidxtab.
When CA converts an SSIDXTAB control, it only keep the control
on the first tab and lost all controls on the other tabs.

I definitely would like to hear other experience with this
product.  Tech support is very good if their phone is not
busy.  It's a very small company.

Regards, Thuyen Nguyen.

In article <4b6qv0$...@harvey.isg.siue.edu>, Oktay Alkin (oal...@siue.edu) writes:
>Would anyone who has bought the VB to Delphi converter from Earthtrek
>please give me their comments?  Does it work?  How reliable is it?
>I have looked at a demo version, and it's not exactly a confidence
>builder.

>Thanks for aany info.

>Oktay Alkin

I bought a copy when I moved to Delphi because I had a half
finished app in VB that had just run out of steam (the
reason for moving to Delphi).  After much wasted time and
effort to make the thing work I discovered that it only
works with VB3!!!  Apparantly EarthTrek are working on a
VB4 version...

Regards,
Phil Dentten
SmallBiz Business Software

Re:Any feedback on Earthtrek VB to Delphi converter?

>Would anyone who has bought the VB to Delphi converter from Earthtrek
>please give me their comments?  Does it work?  How reliable is it?
>I have looked at a demo version, and it's not exactly a confidence
>builder.

     I sent it back. I can do the conversion much better and faster by hand.
It barely converts anything, and what it does convert is so wrong it does not
even come close to working, and required a whole rewrite anyways.

     Plus it was prone to errors, and crashed a lot.
_
This isn't the moon? This is PA? What are all those holes?

|Chad Z. Hower    P...@pobox.com    http://pobox.com/~pbe|
|Independent Consultant     Phoenix Business Enterprises|
|Senior Analyst Programmer   SCB Computer Technology Inc|
|Church Hill, TN                                        |

>>SQUID - The ultimate database reader, and NO limits. #$737961

**Special Compile: 1.033B (Beta)

Other Threads