Mixed OS networks (95/98/NT/2000/XP)

No replies to this post yet... can any one help please?

Gday all
D4 Pro, Paradox, BDE 5.01

I posted 2 questions following up on my question on mixed OS
networks (95/98, NT, 2000 and XP) but have not had an answer
yet.  The primary answer to my question is that opportunistic
locking should be OFF in NT, 2000 and XP machines when they are
used as a file server.

Here are my next questions again..

Do ALL the XP/2000/NT machines on the network have to have
opportunistic locking turned off, or just the one used as the
file server?

In the network of Win 2000, NT (SP4), XP and the other 95/98
computers, is there a preference as to which OS of the 2000, NT
or XP should be used as the file server?

Thanks all for your comments
Cheers
Bill

Re:Mixed OS networks (95/98/NT/2000/XP)

>Do ALL the XP/2000/NT machines on the network have to have
>opportunistic locking turned off, or just the one used as the
>file server?

Just the server

>In the network of Win 2000, NT (SP4), XP and the other 95/98
>computers, is there a preference as to which OS of the 2000, NT
>or XP should be used as the file server?

I would probably go with Win 2K but having a mixed system like this with BDE is
not a good policy
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Mixed OS networks (95/98/NT/2000/XP)

>Do ALL the XP/2000/NT machines on the network have to have
>opportunistic locking turned off, or just the one used as the
>file server?

Just the server.

>In the network of Win 2000, NT (SP4), XP and the other 95/98
>computers, is there a preference as to which OS of the 2000, NT
>or XP should be used as the file server?

Either 2k or XP should work.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Mixed OS networks (95/98/NT/2000/XP)

> >Do ALL the XP/2000/NT machines on the network have to have
> >opportunistic locking turned off, or just the one used as the
> >file server?

> Just the server.

Does it hurt to have all PCs' opplocks turned off ?

Olivier

Re:Mixed OS networks (95/98/NT/2000/XP)

It may hurt performance in some situations. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microso...

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Mixed OS networks (95/98/NT/2000/XP)

Hi Bill!

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:25:07 -0700, Bill Todd <n...@no.com> wrote:
>It may hurt performance in some situations.

in any situation, taking MS Windows OS on a computer seriously hurts
it's performance... :)

tomi.

Other Threads