Installing BDE 4.51 with InstallShield 5.1 Problem?

I recently downloaded and installed the BDE 4.51 template for InstallShield
5.1.  I created my installation using this template and everything seems to
install okay.  I noticed when uninstalling this, however, that it asks me to
removed some shared files (such as IDDA3532.DLL).  This means that
IDDA3532.DLL is being installed as shared (reference counted in the
registry).  This concerns me because I previously did have the BDE 4.51
upgrade installed.  I can only conclude that the initial installation I did
of BDE 4.51 (the one that came directly from Borland) did not log this file
as shared.  I also tried an install that was created with InstallShield
Express 2.02 which installed the BDE and it did NOT install this DLL as
shared.

I have two questions:
1) Is the BDE 4.51 template for InstallShield 5.1 correct in installing
files, such as IDDA3532.DLL, as shared?   It appears that the original BDE
4.51 upgrade that came from Borland does NOT install this file as shared and
neither does the installation that was created with InstallShield Express
2.02.

2) Is using the template from InstallShield 5.1 a compliant install program
for installing the BDE?  According to the deploy.txt document, in accordance
with the licensing agreement, I must use a Borland certified install
program.  Is the InstallShield 5.1 installation considered okay?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated since (as usual) I need
to get this installation done ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
  Lisa Haddrill
  LHaddr...@csisolutions.com

Re:Installing BDE 4.51 with InstallShield 5.1 Problem?

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:07:59 -0400, "Lisa Haddrill"

<LHaddr...@csisolutions.com> wrote:
>I have two questions:
>1) Is the BDE 4.51 template for InstallShield 5.1 correct in installing
>files, such as IDDA3532.DLL, as shared?   It appears that the original BDE

By default that is set as shared. You may want to change that.

>2) Is using the template from InstallShield 5.1 a compliant install program
>for installing the BDE?  According to the deploy.txt document, in accordance
>with the licensing agreement, I must use a Borland certified install
>program.  Is the InstallShield 5.1 installation considered okay?

Yes.

Stefan
InstallShield Software Corp.

Re:Installing BDE 4.51 with InstallShield 5.1 Problem?

stefan (at) installshield (dot) co (dot) za (InstallShield Software Corp.)
wrote in message <35bcd945.5146...@forums.inprise.com>...

>On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:07:59 -0400, "Lisa Haddrill"
><LHaddr...@csisolutions.com> wrote:
>>I have two questions:
>>1) Is the BDE 4.51 template for InstallShield 5.1 correct in installing
>>files, such as IDDA3532.DLL, as shared?   It appears that the original BDE

>By default that is set as shared. You may want to change that.

>>2) Is using the template from InstallShield 5.1 a compliant install
program
>>for installing the BDE?  According to the deploy.txt document, in
accordance
>>with the licensing agreement, I must use a Borland certified install
>>program.  Is the InstallShield 5.1 installation considered okay?

>Yes.

>Stefan
>InstallShield Software Corp.

I appreciate your response but is there a definite answer out there?  I
expect I will have to change the file group to "Not shared".  However, I do
not have the specifications as to how the BDE is to be installed (I assume
InstallShield does) and I want to make sure I am making the RIGHT change.
Also, if that is the change I need to make, could someone verify that all
the files in that group can be installed as "Not shared"?
Thanks,
  Lisa Haddrill

Re:Installing BDE 4.51 with InstallShield 5.1 Problem?

Actually, now that I think about it, should the BDE files be logged for
uninstallation at all?  It's not really the reference counting in the
registry that's bothering me, it's the fact that the files are being deleted
from the machine when other installs (IS Express 2.02 and Borland's) are not
doing so.

Re:Installing BDE 4.51 with InstallShield 5.1 Problem?

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:56:41 -0400, "Lisa Haddrill"

<LHaddr...@csisolutions.com> wrote:
>uninstallation at all?  It's not really the reference counting in the
>registry that's bothering me, it's the fact that the files are being deleted
>from the machine when other installs (IS Express 2.02 and Borland's) are not
>doing so.

Yes they should. The BDE specs state the following:

If the UseCount registry key is zero, the BDE files should be removed.

What this means is the following:

The BDE keeps a count of applications using it. Each time you install an
application using the BDE, the UseCount registry value has to be
incremented. Each time you uninstall the BDE the value is to be
decremented. When it reaches zero, the BDE is to be uninstalled.

wrote in message <35bdfc6a.7071...@forums.inprise.com>...

>On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:56:41 -0400, "Lisa Haddrill"
><LHaddr...@csisolutions.com> wrote:
>>uninstallation at all?  It's not really the reference counting in the
>>registry that's bothering me, it's the fact that the files are being
deleted
>>from the machine when other installs (IS Express 2.02 and Borland's) are
not
>>doing so.

>Yes they should. The BDE specs state the following:

>If the UseCount registry key is zero, the BDE files should be removed.

>What this means is the following:

>The BDE keeps a count of applications using it. Each time you install an
>application using the BDE, the UseCount registry value has to be
>incremented. Each time you uninstall the BDE the value is to be
>decremented. When it reaches zero, the BDE is to be uninstalled.

>Stefan
>InstallShield Software Corp.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  This is what I am seeing: the UseCount
for the BDE in the registry is NOT zero and the BDE files are still being
uninstalled.  This is what I have a problem with!!!  The BDE template does
NOT appear to be obeying this rule.  How do you propose I fix this?  I
looked at the uninstall code for the BDE (in uninst.cpp) and it appears to
be handling the registry entries (it decrements the UseCount and deletes the
registry entries if necessary), but what about the files on the user's
computer??  What part of the template installation is handling the
uninstallation of the BDE files relating to the UseCount in the registry?
How can I fix this in the BDE template?

Thanks,
  Lisa Haddrill

Re:Installing BDE 4.51 with InstallShield 5.1 Problem?

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:23:05 -0400, "Lisa Haddrill"

<LHaddr...@csisolutions.com> wrote:
>Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  This is what I am seeing: the UseCount
>for the BDE in the registry is NOT zero and the BDE files are still being
>uninstalled.  This is what I have a problem with!!!  The BDE template does
>NOT appear to be obeying this rule.  How do you propose I fix this?  I

That is most probably because the BDE files are logged for uninstall. You
may want to uncheck the BDE files, then do a ComponentMoveData, then
uncheck all other components that are checked and check the BDE, then
disable logging, and do ComponentMoveData again.

>computer??  What part of the template installation is handling the
>uninstallation of the BDE files relating to the UseCount in the registry?
>How can I fix this in the BDE template?

The calls to IDAPINST.DLL do that. You may want to use a Custom Uninstaller
to remove the files if the UseCount is ZERO after the uninstallation.

Stefan
InstallShield Software Corp.

Other Threads