ChartFX

I have just purchased DELPHI 2, and found it includes graph OCX's
First Impression and ChartFX. This is great; of course, they are
abbreviated versions.
But, there appears to be virtually NO documentation on how to set
them up and use them, other than in the (cryptic, nearly useless)
online Help.
At least Microsoft documents the abbreviated Graph control shipped
with VB Pro, in their books. There seems nothing at all, on any of
them, in Borland's books. I have also purchased "Mastering Del..2",
and "Del2 Unleas..", and "No-Nonsense Del2.."; while good books, they
have virtually nothing of substance on these other controls.
If this is the vendors' way of inspiring me to buy the expanded
versions, fat chance.
Does anyone have any knowledge of how to obtain helpful hints or
documentation on these items?
Thanks
John R. Chaffer / jrch...@jrchaff.seanet.com

Re:ChartFX

On Mon, 06 May 1996 10:45:38 -0700, jrc <jrch...@jrchaff.seanet.com>
wrote:

>I have just purchased DELPHI 2, and found it includes graph OCX's
>First Impression and ChartFX. This is great; of course, they are
>abbreviated versions.
>But, there appears to be virtually NO documentation on how to set
>them up and use them, other than in the (cryptic, nearly useless)
>online Help.
>At least Microsoft documents the abbreviated Graph control shipped
>with VB Pro, in their books. There seems nothing at all, on any of
>them, in Borland's books. I have also purchased "Mastering Del..2",
>and "Del2 Unleas..", and "No-Nonsense Del2.."; while good books, they
>have virtually nothing of substance on these other controls.
>If this is the vendors' way of inspiring me to buy the expanded
>versions, fat chance.
>Does anyone have any knowledge of how to obtain helpful hints or
>documentation on these items?
>Thanks
>John R. Chaffer / jrch...@jrchaff.seanet.com

I thought the .hlp file for chartfx was a huge step forward
compared to the 1.0 version.  I would not consider a
150k doc file virtually NO documentation.

Whether it is GOOD documentation is another story.

Complaining about Delphi documentation puts you
in the company of thousands.  But at least my
Chartfx was working in a halfhour, which I cannot
say is true for my Visual C++ ocx.

Re:ChartFX

In Article<318E3AC2.1...@jrchaff.seanet.com>, <jrch...@jrchaff.seanet.com>
write:

com!usenet
> From: jrc <jrch...@jrchaff.seanet.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc
> Subject: ChartFX
> Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 10:45:38 -0700

> I have just purchased DELPHI 2, and found it includes graph OCX's
> First Impression and ChartFX. This is great; of course, they are
> abbreviated versions.
> But, there appears to be virtually NO documentation on how to set
> them up and use them, other than in the (cryptic, nearly useless)
> online Help.

ChartFx Help file does not come up with delphi help. You have to run it
seperately. It resides in \delphi\ocx\chartfx directory.
Help is only an Help in the literal sense of the word and not as understood in
the Windows community.
The best way to look at it is through samples.
To populate a chart what you need to do is:

Once you have created the chart you need at least specify the data that you
want to display, note that failing to do that will cause the library to show
random values.
In order to specify the data to be shown, you must use the Value property,
this is a single (float) property that must be used as an array property:
Chart1.Value[nPoint] := <Number>;

This property tells the library that dValue is the value of the point nPoint
in the serie "pointed" by the ThisSerie Property.

' Serie 0 , Point 3 , Value 10.5 */
Chart1.ThisSerie := 0;
Chart1.Value[3] := 10.5;

Nevertheless before using that property you need to be sure that the
communications channel to the library is properly open. This is done through
the pair of properties OpenData and CloseData.
Finally your code to set the data will look like this:

{Open the VALUES channel specifying 2 Series and 7 Points}
Chart1.OpenDataEx(COD_VALUES,2, 7);
{Code to set the data}
Chart1.ThisSerie := 0;
for i := 0 to 2 do
begin
  Chart1.Value[i] := 9;
end
Chart1.ThisSerie := 1;
for i = 0 to 2 do
begin
  Chart1.Value[i] := 15;
end
{Close the VALUES channel}
Chart1.CloseData(COD_VALUES);

You can call CHARTFX and ask for a printed manual for $19.99.

Other Threads