DDE and Word

In article <47g992$2l8_...@fluffy.ualberta.ca> dtess...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Dean Tessman) writes:
>I'm trying to set up a DDE link between my Delphi app and Word, and have run
>into two problems:
>1. My link is manual, and OpenLink executes fine the first time.  After I
>CloseLink and then try to re-open it, I am told that it can't initiate the
>link.  I have no idea why, as I'm doing the exact same thing again.
>2. What is the Item for in the TDdeClientItem?  I have the conversation set to
>the link that I opened in (1), but I have no idea what to plop into the the
>DdeItem property.  I have tried various things, such as 'Document1' and
>'System', but nothing works.
>Could someone please assist me with these problems?  Or better yet, send some
>sample code.
>Emails would be appreciated, if possible.

No... no... POST some code please!  I have to tackle this very problem on
Monday and I sure would like some examples!!  :-]

/mr/

Re:DDE and Word

I'm trying to set up a DDE link between my Delphi app and Word, and have run
into two problems:

1. My link is manual, and OpenLink executes fine the first time.  After I
CloseLink and then try to re-open it, I am told that it can't initiate the
link.  I have no idea why, as I'm doing the exact same thing again.

2. What is the Item for in the TDdeClientItem?  I have the conversation set to
the link that I opened in (1), but I have no idea what to plop into the the
DdeItem property.  I have tried various things, such as 'Document1' and
'System', but nothing works.

Could someone please assist me with these problems?  Or better yet, send some
sample code.

Emails would be appreciated, if possible.

----
Dean Tessman
Faculty of Business
University of Alberta
dtess...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

I love animals.  They're delicious.

Check out the SlipBar at www.ualberta.ca/~dtessman/programmer.html

Re:DDE and Word

In article <47g992$2l8_...@fluffy.ualberta.ca>
           dtess...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca "Dean Tessman" writes:

> I'm trying to set up a DDE link between my Delphi app and Word, and have run
> into two problems:

> 1. My link is manual, and OpenLink executes fine the first time.  After I
> CloseLink and then try to re-open it, I am told that it can't initiate the
> link.  I have no idea why, as I'm doing the exact same thing again.

> 2. What is the Item for in the TDdeClientItem?  I have the conversation set to
> the link that I opened in (1), but I have no idea what to plop into the the
> DdeItem property.  I have tried various things, such as 'Document1' and
> 'System', but nothing works.

> Could someone please assist me with these problems?  Or better yet,
> send some sample code.

Dean

There is a much better way than DDE when dealing with Word.
           ^^^^
Get Martin Austermeier's Pascal / Delphi translation of the Word API:

<ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/delphi/freeware/wordapi.zip>

wordapi.zip     Unit that allows you to write WLLs (Word Add-In DLLs),
                also opens the "back door" of WinWord.

If you can't figure out how to use this you may need to read the
chapter on the Word API in the "Word Developer's Kit" book from
Microsoft Press.

- Chris

--
Christopher J Fynn <cf...@sahaja.demon.co.uk>