How many times does your computer crash?

> How many times does your computer crash?

My NT4 box at work - about 3 times a week.
My W2K box at work - hardly ever.
My Win98 at home - all the time. My Win98 laptop - not too often.
My Linux box at home - almost never.

> Linux - Very good
> Windows NT - Good
> Windows 95 - OK
> Windows 98 - Bad

Linux - very good
W2K - very good
NT4 - OK
Win95 - Almost OK
Win98 - Pathetic

--
Take care, and enjoy Delphi! I am.
Anders Ohlsson, Delphi Developer Support

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Don't know what ver of Win98 you all have, but mine is much more stable than
W95 was for me.  If it hadn't been a step up from Win95 in this regard, I'd
have moved to NT4 already.  Now, I'm pondering W2k.

AJ

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Hi

Can't say much about Linux since I have done VERY little with it. NT4
depends a great deal on the quality of the drivers. My NT4 box at home is
very good but at work the SCSI drivers are very flakey and the machine BSODs
once a week or so.
NT servers seem to fare better as our servers at work rarely go down. Don't
use Win95 but Win98SE (which I only use for games) seems ok.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

> NT only crashes if you have non-supported hardware or drivers, or
> have configured it improperly.

HOASWIFMSSIDFOOMCFL!!!

(Hang On A Sec While I Fasten My Seatbelt So I Don't Fall Out Of My Chair
From Laughter)

--
Take care, and enjoy Delphi! I am.
Anders Ohlsson, Delphi Developer Support
http://www.ohlssons.org/sunshine/Niklas.html
http://homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

No, really.  I run all day at work under NT 4.0 without crashing.  In
fact, it never crashes.

Every problem in the past (on my home computer) has been due to poorly
written drivers or bad hardware.  Video drivers and those for
removable storage (I won't say who) are typically the worst offenders.

Garry Davlin, MCSE (and Linux user)

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 16:04:12 -0700, "Anders Ohlsson (Borland)"

"Petter Holmstr?m" <petter.holmst...@parnet.fi> wrote

> How many times does your computer crash?

NT4 (prev SP) box  - about 3 / week.
NT4 (latest SP) box at work - never in 2 wks.
Win98SE at home - Never with D5, 1 / week w OE5.
Win98 laptop - never in 100 hrs use.

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

> How many times does your computer crash?
> When I was running Windows 95, it crashed about 4 times a week. Now I'm
> using NT 4 and it crashes about 3-6 times a year. I'm also using Linux
> and it hasn't actually crashed - but applications running on it have,
> which has "forced" me to reboot the computer.

> What I think about the operating systems' stability:

Interesting to me is the way you see stability.
Linux hasn't actually Crashed ............

Why were you "forced" to reboot?
Were parts of Linux not working?

Whatever?, this is certainly better than a hard crash.
But I want a system that keeps running no matter what
any applications do. If they die a tragic death.... that's OK.
Just keep the good ones running unimpared, thank you.

Digital VMS - rating - top notch!
never crashed, if it did, it was probably a power surge.
We would run for months without a crash. Not kidding!

When it did actually crash, programmers would gather
in the lunch room shocked and depressed over losing
a few lines of code and discuss how in a few years
crashes will be unheard of.

Craig.

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Hello,

How many times does your computer crash?
When I was running Windows 95, it crashed about 4 times a week. Now I'm
using NT 4 and it crashes about 3-6 times a year. I'm also using Linux
and it hasn't actually crashed - but applications running on it have,
which has "forced" me to reboot the computer.

What I think about the operating systems' stability:

Linux - Very good
Windows NT - Good
Windows 95 - OK
Windows 98 - Bad

-Petter-

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

I guess it REALLY depends on what application is crashing your OS/computer -
I would never do anything important on anything less than NT.

Linux - Not used
Windows NT - Good [crashes 2-3 times per year] (Delphi, DTP, etc)
Windows 98 - Good [got one running, and has been running for about 2 months]
             (I only use it to test apps after I have debugged them on NT,
apart
              from seti the rest of the time 99.99%)
Windows 95 - used to crash weekly.

Without comparing what is running on the OS/computer I could easily say that
Win98 crashed less than WinNT - but we all know it's not true because I
never really run the machine as anything but a test of OS conflicts.

Frank

AJ <nos...@noemail.com> wrote in message news:38ed0abc@dnews...
> Don't know what ver of Win98 you all have, but mine is much more stable than
> W95 was for me

Same here. Win98 extremely stable. Hardly ever a problem.

Dom

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

  text_plain boundary="=_nextpart_2rfksadvnqw3nerasdf"_part
< 1K Download

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Our NT server crashes in about 25% of the cases where the phone rings....
ISDN driver is messed up.

Other than that you can't bring it down if you try.

And, BTW, my Win98 has so far only crashed when I had a driver problem with
my videocard.  After that it hasn't gone down once.  And that was about 6
months ago.  I have turned it off manually a couple of times in that time
frame, other than that it's been on and on and on and on....

Roger

"Garry Davlin" <j...@nowhere.nw> wrote in message

> No, really.  I run all day at work under NT 4.0 without crashing.  In
> fact, it never crashes.

> Every problem in the past (on my home computer) has been due to poorly
> written drivers or bad hardware.  Video drivers and those for
> removable storage (I won't say who) are typically the worst offenders.

> Garry Davlin, MCSE (and Linux user)

> On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 16:04:12 -0700, "Anders Ohlsson (Borland)"
> <aohls...@borland.com> wrote:

> >> NT only crashes if you have non-supported hardware or drivers, or
> >> have configured it improperly.

> >HOASWIFMSSIDFOOMCFL!!!

> >(Hang On A Sec While I Fasten My Seatbelt So I Don't Fall Out Of My Chair
> >From Laughter)

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Never yet with Windows 2000

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Finally the truth

Re:How many times does your computer crash?

Anders,

I agree with his comment. NT4 is very, very stable and compatible with a wide
range of hardware. Every case of instability we've seen at our office has been
traced to faulty hardware or most commonly cards not properly pused into slots.

The next most common cause of BSOD is the *&% WinOnCD drivers.

Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

Other Threads