ibevents on a multihomed server - a bug or not a bug.

Hi,

Discovered today : with IB6,  ibx4.6  ( ! jeff !) , server running NT4 ,
clients win98 , tcp/ip

Problem
- server goes down on a multihomed server (= 2 network cards) , when trying
to use ibevents on the client attached to the secondary network card.

Solution
had to make a clienside tcp ip route for all the secondary network attached
clients to the servers primary ip.

but IMHO , these problem is not tcp/ip related , but more IB server related.
thats also my question , is this is a bug or not a bug , thats the question.
and second, if this is not a bug, why would the ibserver crash because of an
unreachable client ?? and at last, could please somebody of the ibserver
development build in this feature of dealing with multiple server ip
addresses.

Situation

okay .. i have a server with 2 network cards.. so, ofcourse with 2 different
ip ranges.. lets say :
Network A : 10.0.0.x
Network B : 192.168.100.x

lets consider the server .. one of the 2 ip numbers assigned on the server,
is the primary ip.. lets say that network A is the primary network , so ..
doing a ping on the server itself to itselfs (ping ntserver) gives us (by
example) 10.0.0.2.

doing a 'ping ntserver' on network A client gives also 10.0.0.2 , but doing
a ping (resolve) on network B clients gives 'ping ntserver' 192.168.100.2
ofcourse because these clients are on the network B.

Working with an interbase database , something like ntserver:c:\database.gdb
.. is absolutly not a problem !! everything goes great as it should be ..

but... try using events in this situation.. Ofcourse the IB server needs to
remember all registerd 'events' clients.. so it probably remembers the ip
addresses where to send a event to .. but somehow the ibserver doesnt look
at the mulptiple ip addresses it has, and so, sends out 'events' /
'initalization stuff' to the clients on network B (192.168.100.x) but with a
reply address of its primary ip address (10.0.0.2) .. and not the ip address
that it should use for the client to be able to talk balk (192.168.100.2)..

thats why i had to make tcp/ip routes on all clients of the network B
(192.168.100.x)

for somebody who wants to know , i had to do :

>ROUTE ADD 10.0.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.2

okay.. maybe you say that this is a tcp/ip related issue... but it is still
strange that the server goes really down, isnit ? and second.. it just would
be a great future when ibserver is multihomed /multiple ip address aware,
isnt it ?

anybody

thanx

Lucas

Re:ibevents on a multihomed server - a bug or not a bug.

IBX has no knowledge at all of the transport layer.  That is handled by
gds32.dll and Winsock under windows.  Your fix of forcing ip routing further
indicates to me that this is not an IBX issue.  I suggest you post this in the
borland.public.interbase.general group and see if anyone else can help you
there.  I don't have a 2 NIC machine sitting around so can't even do minor
testing on this.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   I don't think there are any Russians
(Please do not email    And there ain't no Yanks

Re:ibevents on a multihomed server - a bug or not a bug.

It seems to be very similar to this bug (watch for wrap!)

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=213460&group...
tid=109028

Andres

Re:ibevents on a multihomed server - a bug or not a bug.

Hi andres

Thanx for this tip cause its exactly the same bug i have.

everybody out there .. thats my bug !!!

please, please , could someone look at it.. if someone has questions about
this problem, you can contact for further details about it , cause i know
exactly when and why it occurs, but i just cant program that good to get
into the ibserver source...

Lucas Vos

"Andres Allkivi" <and...@starsoft.ee> wrote in message

> It seems to be very similar to this bug (watch for wrap!)

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=213460&group...
8&a
> tid=109028

> Andres

Re:ibevents on a multihomed server - a bug or not a bug.

Report bug to Borland and Firebird and wait.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

"Lucas Vos" <v...@lucrasoft.nl> escribi en el mensaje

> Hi andres

> Thanx for this tip cause its exactly the same bug i have.

> everybody out there .. thats my bug !!!

> please, please , could someone look at it.. if someone has questions about
> this problem, you can contact for further details about it , cause i know
> exactly when and why it occurs, but i just cant program that good to get
> into the ibserver source...

> Lucas Vos

> "Andres Allkivi" <and...@starsoft.ee> wrote in message
> > It seems to be very similar to this bug (watch for wrap!)

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=213460&group...

> 8&a
> > tid=109028

> > Andres