D2: Another DOS Shell Question !!!

Greetings,

        I have had a look at the postings lately for running a DOS program
under Win95 from D2. So far I have had no problems executing programs,
but my problem has been shutting the damn things down :-(
        Have launched the DOS program using ShellExecute command. It runs and
then you are left with the DOS window sitting there saying 'Finished
-' and the program name.
        Have tried things like piping the 'Exit' command, destroying the
window itself, beating the computer with a large wooden mallet all to
no avail. I figure I could set up some sort of sendkeys arrangement to
call the system close menu option, but there must be a better way.

What am I missing here???

regards,

Damien Lewis

Re:D2: Another DOS Shell Question !!!

Damien Lewis wrote:

>         Have launched the DOS program using ShellExecute command. It runs and
> then you are left with the DOS window sitting there saying 'Finished
> -' and the program name.
>         Have tried things like piping the 'Exit' command, destroying the
> window itself, beating the computer with a large wooden mallet all to
> no avail.

> What am I missing here???

Damien:

I've had similar problems under Win95.  One thing I tried...and it
seemed to
work (although, I have no idea why)...is: the next time that dang DOS
window
just sits there displaying 'Finished - [app]', bring-up the "Properties"
window, and make sure the "Close on Exit" checkbox is checked ON.  If
not,
set it then press "OK".  Close the DOS window, then retry running your
app.

Like I've said, I've seen this same situation happen with Win95
Shortcuts.
They don't seem to control DOS windows very well...

Hope this helps,
-Jim Rofkar.

Re:D2: Another DOS Shell Question !!!

Win95 is storing your preferences for the default dos box used when you run
a program without using its .pif file.  You can set up your own .pif file
with custom settings, and execute this with the program as a parameter for
some finer control.

--
Mark Pritchard
-------------

James D. Rofkar <jim_rofkar%lotusnot...@instinet.com> wrote in article
<3251C21D.2...@instinet.com>...

> I've had similar problems under Win95.  One thing I tried...and it
> seemed to
> work (although, I have no idea why)...is: the next time that dang DOS
> window
> just sits there displaying 'Finished - [app]', bring-up the "Properties"
> window, and make sure the "Close on Exit" checkbox is checked ON.  If
> not,
> set it then press "OK".  Close the DOS window, then retry running your
> app.

Other Threads