Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

Hi Everyone!

I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
that will load in the file.
But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
Because I really really want to have it working propally.

If possible don't post the source in the newsgroup because
I don't have internet access!

I'm at a friends and he doesn't read the newsgroups.

My email address is : g...@email4u.com

Thanks for your help!!!

Byebye,

Steven Filipowicz

Re:Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

On Wed, 07 May 1997 10:41:54 -0600, g...@email4u.com wrote:
>I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
>I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
>that will load in the file.
>But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
>have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
>So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

>Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
>and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

>Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
>Because I really really want to have it working propally.

Normally, loading a 640x480 (or so) picture should be fast enough on a
modern computer system. There is enough source code available loading
GIFs ... Maybe just try another ! A web search should be enough.
If you want to modify the source code you have : take a look at the
way the code reads in bytes. Sometimes, all you need is some
additional input buffering (2KB are enough) and you'll get a big
speedup.

Regards,
Marco
--
Marco Schmidt - Student of Computer Science, Aachen, Germany
mailto:ma...@pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de

g...@email4u.com wrote:

> Hi Everyone!

> I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> that will load in the file.
> But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

> Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> Because I really really want to have it working propally.

Hi,

Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
screen on a 486-DX40.

Greetings, Nico.

Nico.De Smedt wrote:

> g...@email4u.com wrote:

> > Hi Everyone!

> > I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> > I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> > that will load in the file.
> > But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> > have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> > So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.
> > Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> > and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> > Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> > Because I really really want to have it working propally.
> Hi,
> Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> screen on a 486-DX40.
> Greetings, Nico.

Sounds real interesting Nico - I tried to download IMAGS01.ZIP, but had
problems connecting to your site. Netscape reported contacting it, but no
reply ever came.

Guess the server is busy from all the other people downloading your code
- I'll try later.

Best Regards,

Mike Monett: ADDIDE, NoSpam, LP.EXE
http://www.csolve.net/~add/zips/addide.htm
ftp://www.headwaters.com/pub/add/zips/addide.htm

Nico.De Smedt wrote:

> g...@email4u.com wrote:

> > Hi Everyone!

> > I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> > I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> > that will load in the file.
> > But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> > have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> > So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

> > Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> > and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> > Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> > Because I really really want to have it working propally.

> Hi,

> Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> screen on a 486-DX40.

> Greetings, Nico.

Nico, I have tried many times to connect to your site since your posting
appeared - no luck at all. Do you have any other ideas - I'd really like
to try your suggestion! Thanks.

Mike Monett wrote:

> Nico.De Smedt wrote:

> > g...@email4u.com wrote:

> > > Hi Everyone!

> > > I've just finished a program and now I want a intro screen.
> > > I have made a good .GIF graphic and I also have a source
> > > that will load in the file.
> > > But is goes very very slow and this is not right if you
> > > have to wait about 1 minute before the real program starts.
> > > So what I want is is a source that will load the file very fast.

> > > Or something that will build the screen up on an invisble screen
> > > and then switch that screen on.(Get the idea?)

> > > Or if you have any other suggestions please write me!
> > > Because I really really want to have it working propally.

> > Hi,

> > Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> > You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> > or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> > also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> > screen on a 486-DX40.

> > Greetings, Nico.

> Nico, I have tried many times to connect to your site since your posting
> appeared - no luck at all. Do you have any other ideas - I'd really like
> to try your suggestion! Thanks.

> Best Regards,

Hi,

Yes I know! I think there are some problems  with our server. When I
want to send an email to someone, it takes very long to send it away!!
Also when using netscape: the loading of my homepage is very slow and
I'm on my own account!! (my homepage is loaded automaticly when netscape
starts). I hope these problems are solved tomorrow. Keep trying, I can't
help it.........

Greetings, Nico.

Nico.De Smedt wrote:

> Mike Monett wrote:

> > Nico.De Smedt wrote:

[snip original request]

> > > Hi,

> > > Check out my homepage: sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/index.html
> > > You find there a nice unit (IMAGS01.ZIP; 704K) that covers the reading
> > > or writing of GIFs, PCXs, BMPs, TGAs (soon), JPGs (also soon), TIFs (and
> > > also soon). It's fast! A 640X480X256 gif took 4 seconds to show it on
> > > screen on a 486-DX40.

> > > Greetings, Nico.

> > Nico, I have tried many times to connect to your site since your posting
> > appeared - no luck at all. Do you have any other ideas - I'd really like
> > to try your suggestion! Thanks.

> > Best Regards,

> Hi,
> Yes I know! I think there are some problems  with our server. When I
> want to send an email to someone, it takes very long to send it away!!
> Also when using netscape: the loading of my homepage is very slow and
> I'm on my own account!! (my homepage is loaded automaticly when netscape
> starts). I hope these problems are solved tomorrow. Keep trying, I can't
> help it.........
> Greetings, Nico.

Nico - your site came up fast today. I downloaded your files with no
problem - huge thanks. This is very impressive work - there is a lot more
than you suggested in your post.

I hope you get your Pentium, but I am sorry to see we would lose you to
Win95 - what a waste of good talent!

BTW - perhaps you can avoid the delay loading by going directly to

  http://sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/source.html

In article <33788A3C.1...@uia.ua.ac.be>, "Nico.De Smedt"
<desm...@uia.ua.ac.be> writes

>> Nico.De Smedt wrote:

>Yes I know! I think there are some problems  with our server. When I
>want to send an email to someone, it takes very long to send it away!!
>Also when using netscape: the loading of my homepage is very slow and
>I'm on my own account!! (my homepage is loaded automaticly when netscape
>starts). I hope these problems are solved tomorrow. Keep trying, I can't
>help it.........

>Greetings, Nico.

I think you missed part of the address out. Try:

sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/desmedt/source.html

--
Keith Howell

Re:Load .BMP or .PCX or .GIF files fast.

I downloaded it too, but when trying to compile it I got an error.
It seems that my compiler doesn't know how to handle an array as a variable for
a function or procedure.
Is this because I have TP 6.0 or is there some other problem ?

--
Martijn v.d. Horst

Martijn v.d. Horst wrote:

> I downloaded it too, but when trying to compile it I got an error.
> It seems that my compiler doesn't know how to handle an array as a variable for
> a function or procedure.
> Is this because I have TP 6.0 or is there some other problem ?

> --
> Martijn v.d. Horst

Hi Marijn,

Could you explain your problem a bit more...Maybe you can add some code
snipets...I'm the author of that unit, and I wanted to know if there is
a bug!!

Others, who have downloaded the images unit, can always email me for
support and bug report.

Greetings, Nico.

Other Threads