ado vs idapi vs odbc

Can anyone give me some insight into the pros/cons of these alternatives. We
have an AS/400 and currently use the idapi driver from delphi/400. I'm
questioning why we are spending so much money when ado and odbc are free. All
of our client machines are Windows.

Help?

Re:ado vs idapi vs odbc

On 1 Feb 2002 09:22:15 -0800, "George Duh-bya"

<dumb...@whitehouse.gov> wrote:
>Can anyone give me some insight into the pros/cons of these alternatives. We
>have an AS/400 and currently use the idapi driver from delphi/400. I'm
>questioning why we are spending so much money when ado and odbc are free. All
>of our client machines are Windows.

IDAPI = BDE = Borland's version of ODBC, no longer being developed, at
most bug fixes could surface (rather unlikely, though) - you're pretty
much locked into a dead product, and you can only use what it offers
now, no hope of getting additional drivers etc.

ODBC = Microsoft's version similar to IDAPI/BDE, allowing access to
any number of databases and other information stores. Also a bit old
and not really supported much anymore, although it's still something a
lot of people use, and new ODBC (third-party) drivers still keep
appearing.

ADO = the latest Microsoft "access any of your data from
anywhere"-du-jour technology :-) Based on ActiveX / OCX technology,
which can be easily used in Delphi. This is still pretty much state of
the art technology (and being morphed into ADO.NET for future .NET
services) - definitely the way to go if you can, if you find the
driver. Still being maintained and expanded.

Marc

Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:ado vs idapi vs odbc

> IDAPI = BDE = Borland's version of ODBC, no longer being developed, at
> most bug fixes could surface (rather unlikely, though) - you're pretty
> much locked into a dead product, and you can only use what it offers
> now, no hope of getting additional drivers etc.

> ODBC = Microsoft's version similar to IDAPI/BDE, allowing access to
> any number of databases and other information stores. Also a bit old
> and not really supported much anymore, although it's still something a
> lot of people use, and new ODBC (third-party) drivers still keep
> appearing.

> ADO = the latest Microsoft "access any of your data from
> anywhere"-du-jour technology :-) Based on ActiveX / OCX technology,
> which can be easily used in Delphi. This is still pretty much state of
> the art technology (and being morphed into ADO.NET for future .NET
> services) - definitely the way to go if you can, if you find the
> driver. Still being maintained and expanded.

> Marc

Hello Marc

But what you can say about

ADO vs dbExpress  ?

Best wishes,
A.Zubik
Luxena Company
www.Luxena.com
email: zu...@Luxena.com

Re:ado vs idapi vs odbc

In article <Xns91A87D59FA35Anonegi...@207.105.83.65>,
dumb...@whitehouse.gov says...

> Can anyone give me some insight into the pros/cons of these alternatives. We
> have an AS/400 and currently use the idapi driver from delphi/400. I'm
> questioning why we are spending so much money when ado and odbc are free. All
> of our client machines are Windows.

> Help?

        This thread from a while back might help:

http://groups.google.com/groups?
hl=en&threadm=MPG.169cc0b2bcdf379c989725%40newsgroups.borland.com&rnum=1
&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Das/400%2Bgroup:borland.public.delphi.non-technical%
26hl%3Den%26selm%3DMPG.169cc0b2bcdf379c989725%
2540newsgroups.borland.com%26rnum%3D1

        (Link will wrap.)

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Other Threads