Synchronize Table/Fields definitions?

We have remote offices and I want to be able to send out table/field changes
to the offices.  Does anyone know of a program to do this?

Thanks
Dan

Re:Synchronize Table/Fields definitions?

Thats a pretty open question there.  Best setup is to use your database's
replication system (if any).  You didn't say what your database is.  If your
database doesn't support replication, then you can send them a SQL script
with all the alter table statements and they can run the script.

Blaine Whittle
Apropos Retail

"Dan F" <d...@webbhome.com> wrote in message news:39cb68de_1@dnews...
> We have remote offices and I want to be able to send out table/field
changes
> to the offices.  Does anyone know of a program to do this?

> Thanks
> Dan

Re:Synchronize Table/Fields definitions?

SQL server 7.0.  Would prefer not to use replication.  Was hoping for a VCL
or application that can do it?

Dan

"Blaine Whittle" <blai...@aproposretail.com> wrote in message

> Thats a pretty open question there.  Best setup is to use your database's
> replication system (if any).  You didn't say what your database is.  If
your
> database doesn't support replication, then you can send them a SQL script
> with all the alter table statements and they can run the script.

> Blaine Whittle
> Apropos Retail

> "Dan F" <d...@webbhome.com> wrote in message news:39cb68de_1@dnews...
> > We have remote offices and I want to be able to send out table/field
> changes
> > to the offices.  Does anyone know of a program to do this?

> > Thanks
> > Dan

Re:Synchronize Table/Fields definitions?

You probably not going to find a VCL or app do it unless there is one just
for SQL Server, and the reason is each database has its own syntax and field
types.  Yes there is a SQL standard, but everyone has extended it somehow.
Your best bet is to just send a SQL script with all the alter table
statements.  You should log all schema changes you make to a file for this
purpose.  Some databases (I'm not sure about SQL Server) allow you to run a
command to extract every statement run against the database.  You could do
that, filter out all data edit commands, and filter only for the dates you
need and you should have a script you can send.

Blaine Whittle
Apropos Retail

"Dan F" <d...@webbhome.com> wrote in message news:39cb9bfe$1_1@dnews...
> SQL server 7.0.  Would prefer not to use replication.  Was hoping for a
VCL
> or application that can do it?

> Dan

> "Blaine Whittle" <blai...@aproposretail.com> wrote in message
> > Thats a pretty open question there.  Best setup is to use your
database's
> > replication system (if any).  You didn't say what your database is.  If
> your
> > database doesn't support replication, then you can send them a SQL
script
> > with all the alter table statements and they can run the script.

> > Blaine Whittle
> > Apropos Retail

> > "Dan F" <d...@webbhome.com> wrote in message news:39cb68de_1@dnews...
> > > We have remote offices and I want to be able to send out table/field
> > changes
> > > to the offices.  Does anyone know of a program to do this?

> > > Thanks
> > > Dan

Other Threads