Blob field problems, second request for help

Well I cant seem to find a solution to my problem.  I've been fighting this
for a few weeks now.  What happens is I can store and retrieve binary blobs
just fine if I use a single TQuery and set request Live to true.  Now if I
use cached updates, or client datasets / IProvider I get errors when I apply
updates.  The error I get when using cached updates is "Invalid Blob
pointer", and the error I get when using Midas is "Error writing to file or
stream." followed by "TIF BLOB Write Error." Like I said, things work just
fine when I use request live.  What I'm storing in the blobs are Jpeg
pictures, and I have field type set to ftBlob.  I also tried to save the
pictures as bitmaps using the field type of ftGraphic and had the exact same
problems.  Another thing that's strange is I can write to blobs with no
problem using cached updates if the database field is a TEXT and the field
blob type is ftMemo.  I'm using Informix 7.3, and I've had this same problem
in writing blobs when talking to a database on NT, SCO, and HPUX.

Thanks in advance for any help

Blaine Whittle

Re:Blob field problems, second request for help

Hello,

-   I had a lot of  problems with BLOBs, not in Informix (DB2 and Oracle),
and some minutes ago I finally solved all them, so may be I can help you.
Lets try... First of all, thy to set the parameter BLOB SIZE of the BDE
alias to a value greater than 32K, I suggest 1M. This must solve your
problem, if not, send me an e-mail that I can send to you a test program
that works fine on DB2 and Oracle, or give some others tips.

Luis Fernando Fausto

fau...@softplan.com.br

R. Blaine Whittle <blai...@aproposretail.com> wrote in message

> Well I cant seem to find a solution to my problem.  I've been fighting
this
> for a few weeks now.  What happens is I can store and retrieve binary
blobs
> just fine if I use a single TQuery and set request Live to true.  Now if I
> use cached updates, or client datasets / IProvider I get errors when I
apply
> updates.  The error I get when using cached updates is "Invalid Blob
> pointer", and the error I get when using Midas is "Error writing to file
or
> stream." followed by "TIF BLOB Write Error." Like I said, things work just
> fine when I use request live.  What I'm storing in the blobs are Jpeg
> pictures, and I have field type set to ftBlob.  I also tried to save the
> pictures as bitmaps using the field type of ftGraphic and had the exact
same
> problems.  Another thing that's strange is I can write to blobs with no
> problem using cached updates if the database field is a TEXT and the field
> blob type is ftMemo.  I'm using Informix 7.3, and I've had this same
problem
> in writing blobs when talking to a database on NT, SCO, and HPUX.

> Thanks in advance for any help

> Blaine Whittle

Re:Blob field problems, second request for help

Well I've already taken care of that, before when I was useing a live
updates and the bde blob size was set wrong the only thing I would get is
partial pictures saved, but it didn't return an error.  I think I have the
setting of around a meg right now.

Blaine Whittle

Other Threads