Update BDE 4.01 to 4.51 - BDE 5

I work with D3, PARADOX 7 and BDE 4.01.

Can I update my BDE 4.01 to 4.51 whitout any change in D3 code (I use
Transactions and Cache Updates) ?
Is it a very good idea to try BDE 5 with D3 or do I update to D4 ?

Thanks for help

Re:Update BDE 4.01 to 4.51 - BDE 5

Yes you can update from 4.0 to 4.51 w/o changes, also you can update from 4
to 5 skipping 4.5.
I done it today, no problem, no changes, no additional setup in BDE admin.
I found only one problem with level 7 for dBase tables, incorrectly work
CreateTable and SQL create table for numeric fields other then N6.0 and
N20.4

PS: I can not say about transaction  and CU - I do not use it
--
Sincerely yours
Anatoly Podgoretsky

Jean-Philippe C{*word*157} ??? a ???? <35CEA446.C63F...@hotmail.com> ...

>I work with D3, PARADOX 7 and BDE 4.01.

>Can I update my BDE 4.01 to 4.51 whitout any change in D3 code (I use
>Transactions and Cache Updates) ?
>Is it a very good idea to try BDE 5 with D3 or do I update to D4 ?

>Thanks for help

Re:Update BDE 4.01 to 4.51 - BDE 5

You can jump directly from BDE 4 to BDE 5 with no problems. (At least I have
not had any).

--
Bill Todd

Re:Update BDE 4.01 to 4.51 - BDE 5

Since the BDE maps fields to native data types. You end up with Numeric 20.4
converting to float and numeric 6.0 converting to integer. I believe numeric
4.0 will also convert to a 2 byte integer.

If you wish to create tables with fields such as Numeric 10.1 etc. Try using an
SQL statement for the table creation and a TTable.AddIndex for your dBASE

Anatoly Podgoretsky wrote:
> Yes you can update from 4.0 to 4.51 w/o changes, also you can update from 4
> to 5 skipping 4.5.
> I done it today, no problem, no changes, no additional setup in BDE admin.
> I found only one problem with level 7 for dBase tables, incorrectly work
> CreateTable and SQL create table for numeric fields other then N6.0 and
> N20.4

> PS: I can not say about transaction  and CU - I do not use it
> --
> Sincerely yours
> Anatoly Podgoretsky
> n...@vnet.ee

> Jean-Philippe C{*word*157} ??? a ???? <35CEA446.C63F...@hotmail.com> ...
> >I work with D3, PARADOX 7 and BDE 4.01.

> >Can I update my BDE 4.01 to 4.51 whitout any change in D3 code (I use
> >Transactions and Cache Updates) ?
> >Is it a very good idea to try BDE 5 with D3 or do I update to D4 ?

> >Thanks for help

Re:Update BDE 4.01 to 4.51 - BDE 5

Move to 4.51 - it works well. Don't move to 5 because it has
a few problems with local tables. Maybe they will get fixed
in due course.

Nick Spurrier (MoDESoft, UK)

Other Threads